XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Turning left at high speed, sound and slight vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turning left at high speed, sound and slight vibration

So I've the other posts are the shuddering and such but I'm not sure this is the same thing. I have a 2012 XKR and when turning even the tinniest bit left at higher speeds, I can feel and hear this slight vibration and slight noise and it's ONLY to the left. Also the power steering fluid when the car is turned OFF and you turn the wheels, will spit out of the reservoir. The dealer just did the 45k service and I also had them replace the power steering fluid. Any thoughts.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by DublDwn
So I've the other posts are the shuddering and such but I'm not sure this is the same thing. I have a 2012 XKR and when turning even the tinniest bit left at higher speeds, I can feel and hear this slight vibration and slight noise and it's ONLY to the left. Also the power steering fluid when the car is turned OFF and you turn the wheels, will spit out of the reservoir. The dealer just did the 45k service and I also had them replace the power steering fluid. Any thoughts.
Before I would do any self diagnosis I would go back to the dealer and tell them about the problem. I would also tell them that I did not have this problem before they changed the PS fluid. How long ago did they do the service.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:55 AM

I agree with you and plan on doing this. The service was just about two weeks ago.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with you and plan on doing this. The service was just about two weeks ago.
By the way why did you have them change the PS fluid. I don't see this as required on the maintenance schedule. Also if it spits fluid with the cap off and as you are turning the steering wheel it would imply there is air still in the system. This would normally go away when turning the steering from lock to lock unless the variable speed system in these cars reacts differently. Lets us know what they find

Old 12-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

So I've the other posts are the shuddering and such but I'm not sure this is the same thing. I have a 2012 XKR and when turning even the tinniest bit left at higher speeds, I can feel and hear this slight vibration and slight noise and it's ONLY to the left. Any thoughts.
My 2010 developed a light vibration/shimmy at high speeds as well.
Also became more pronounced on left turns.
I replaced the right front hub.... Solved my problem.

(Note: I could not 'hear' it, but it was noticeable on the steering wheel.)

Old 12-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Don't turn the steering wheel without the engine running.

Per the vibes, swap tires side to side as a test to see if the condition changes. Competent alignment shop should be able to troubleshoot any link looseness in the front end. Harder for the rear.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Well, the wonderful Jaguar dealership told me that the power steering fluid looked pretty dark/dirty so they recommended changing it.

The Jaguar dealer did an alignment during the 45k service and new tires were just put on last week. I'll double check with the tire shop but I have a gut feeling it's not the tires or alignment as it doesn't feel like that from experience. Aside from the hub replacement, would there be any possibility of bushings?

Old 12-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the wonderful Jaguar dealership told me that the power steering fluid looked pretty dark/dirty so they recommended changing it.

The Jaguar dealer did an alignment during the 45k service and new tires were just put on last week. I'll double check with the tire shop but I have a gut feeling it's not the tires or alignment as it doesn't feel like that from experience. Aside from the hub replacement, would there be any possibility of bushings?
Well, your whole left suspension could be in question. However tie rods and control arms are pretty easy to diagnose when on a lift using a simple crowbar and checking for play.
Wheel bearings are normally easy test, by grabbing the tire at the top, and rocking it repeated back and forth(in and out of the wheel well). But mine showed no sign of looseness, and I let the tire shop re-balance the rims with special attention. Again no change. The hub came off rockauto for something like $125, and I swapped it with very little difficulty.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

What I usually ask myself is , was there a problem before they did the work ? If the answer is no then my thought is they screwed something up . So the discussion goes back to the service manager . Also did you get a sheet with the before and correction of the alignment. I would be surprised that you would need a new hub with only 45K miles on the car.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

jagtoes is correct, chasing various possiblities should start with questioning the prior service. Doing anything else first may mask the real problem which then makes it harder to troubleshoot.

It may be possible the symptoms were present before being serviced but not noticable until after. If they indicate that was probably the case you should be entitled to a reason why.

Changing PS fluid seems most susspect to me as that is an obvious place where air and dirt can be introduced. But it could just as well be something loose after alignment as well as other things they did.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM

All...sounds good, I will definitely check with the dealer first and leave it for them to go over.

CleverName, in regards to the hub, are you able to look up which hub you replaced it with (to be safe) and any tips/tricks on replacing it?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

All...sounds good, I will definitely check with the dealer first and leave it for them to go over.

CleverName, in regards to the hub, are you able to look up which hub you replaced it with (to be safe) and any tips/tricks on replacing it?
I did mine and showed some pics in my build thread towards the end. Nothing horrible and very difficult to diagnose unless they are making noise.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

As Ranchero50 said, I too found it easy, but I have very solid mechanical skills and a pretty full tool chest, so take it for what it's worth.
Timkin Hub

Do you have the service manual?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Turns out it was the hub, replaced it and it all went away...thanks all!