XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Two super-quick service questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Two super-quick service questions...

...that have been covered before, so apologies for my laziness in wanting them short-n-sweet. Here goes.

Got a 2010 XKR. Bought it used with very low miles, and I just passed the 20k mile mark. My three questions:

- I've got what I assume are the original Dunlops on the car. Fronts are OK; rears are basically racing slicks at this point. Is this typical? Based on my research I'm thinking of going with Conti's, since a comfortable, quiet ride is key for me. Agreed?

- just now had the "brake pad low" warning light come on. Also normal?

- given that my days of driving my baby up on the ramps and crawling underneath are over (and I do miss those days) (and was that dirty?)... a visit to a service department is due. I'm dreading it. Anything else I should have done, or checked, while the car is in for service? The miles just seem low to me for anything radical.

OK that was more than two. Apologies...

Many thanks,
Peter

Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Tire questions = bwahahaha. Use the search feature and peruse the MANY pages of opinions and such on that.

As for needing to go to the service department @20K miles have no idea why you feel that way but it's your $$$. The car likely only needs oil, oil filter (very simple), cabin air filter checked (that won't take you more than 3-5 mins), and brake fluid replaced. Most any decent Indi mechanic will save you a LOT of money doing those items. All that labor shouldn't run you more than @$100, parts about the same.

Also @20K miles unless it was driven pretty hard it shouldn't need pads, definitely not rotors

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Peter,

XKR tires are staggered, which means you can't rotate them front to rear. But you can cross-rotate right to left, which means that you'll have to dismount and remount them if they're directional. Many people (including me) don't go to the trouble and expense of cross-rotating. Since they can't be rotated, you'll get half the tire manufacturer's advertised mileage. 20K miles on the rears is actually pretty good, considering all the low-end torque from the 5.0L SC engine.

I have the Conti's on my XJ and like them better than the OEM Dunlops. Plus they cost a lot less!

20k miles on the brakes is a bit low in my opinion, however, brake wear depends a lot on the driver and how much they "ride" the brake pedal. Unless you can do brake work yourself, have the dealer inspect the calipers and pistons and make sure they're not sticking. They should do that when the replace the pads. At only 20K miles, you might be able to get away with only a "pad slap" without resurfacing the rotors, unless they've been scored. See my post #18 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gistery-96830/

No need to dread going to the service department to have your oil changed, as it is an easy DIY job on the 5.0L engine. You don't need to get under the car since the oil filter is up on top and the old oil is removed from the top with a suction extractor. But it's still a good idea to have the dealer inspect it (particularly the water pump, which is a known 5.0L flaw that is prone to failure). Aren't you glad that you can still do your own oil changes, if you want to?

Do you have the service records? If not, to be safe, you should have the brake fluid replaced. Jaguar recommends every 2 years, since brake fluid absorbs moisture and can cause corrosion and poor brake performance. Also, it's probably time to replace the engine air filters (a DIY PIA -pay the dealer) and the cabin filter (easy DIY see my post #10 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...choked-107605/ )

Hope this helps,

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks guys.
Yeah, Leeper, I went down the rabbit hole of a few of those "best tire" fights/threads. I'll steer clear, thanks very much.
And I will take a look at an oil extractor. Never used one but I assume it's not rocket science.
And, since I wrote the original post, the adaptive headlight warning light has come on. Sigh.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the family....

The previous posts are spot on. One more "build" which you will want to check on is your battery. As you look a bit more into this forum you will quickly learn of the issues associated with a weak battery. Given your cars age - you would be well served to verify that the battery in the car has been replaced. If not, I would suggest you consider that - and then keep it charged with a good quality battery tender (smart charger).

Lastly - I have a similar car (low mileage '11 XKR) and it has had a couple recalls since I've owned it. You might want to be sure that all of those have been taken care of.