XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

An update on the corrupted software issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default An update on the corrupted software issue

Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since I dropped my '13 xkr for a software update that's supposed to fix the back up light recall.

The furthest I've gotten so far is jaguar usa headquarters in jersey telling me they're going to contact jaguar UK in regards to my issue. Meanwhile I'm about to make my 2nd 820.00 car payment but have been putting around town in a Volvo S60 loaner car. I had my car for just a few days after purchasing it.
Seriously...... 5 weeks for a fried control module due to a corrupted software update and I haven't been told a thing as to the status. Good job Jaguar
I seriously feel that I'm entitled to some compensation at this point. Loaner car or not

Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Shouldn't they just get you an new module?

They fried it using factory procedures and tools.
Can't see where you could in any way be at fault.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 PM

They burnt through my first module. Ordered a second and burnt the second one. That's when they contacted jaguar UK and they came to the conclusion that there is some kind of corruption. The car is obviously under full factory warranty and if it weren't they would have to cover it yes.
My issue is that it's been there going on a month and half and everything is in limbo. Whether it be they fix the fault or they just say screw it and offer to replace it. I understand the latter of the two is unlikely. However they're taking their sweet *** time fixing the car so I'm thinking it's a possibility.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

That's what I mean.

I'd be suggesting that they fried it, they should fix it.

Now, not whenever they get around to it.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM

Agreed..
That's why in my email to jaguar headquarters. I asked that they at least make my car payments while they fix it. Had this been summer time I'd probably would have gone to jail for throwing a fit in desparation to get my car back with haste. I will not accept the fact they gave me a Volvo to drive is my compensation.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Well first of all you can't actually "burn" or physically damage a module during programming, if the module is "dead" and cannot be revived well that's some next level corruption of a processor, but it's not actual burning as such.

More likely that there is a fault with their software or equipment, I mean for one module to fail during programming is bad luck, a second one is a trend. There is something else going on i'm sure...

Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Agreed Jag should be more active on taking control of this in terms of not only the repair but also with forth coming with information as to the progress AND absolutely pick up a payment. What are you doing on your part to not be at their beckon call here? Have you from the the time of the second issue (first issue can be a fluke, second is where they REALLY need to step in and resolve this quickly but seem to have stalled) asked for the regional Jag rep to take control of this situation? What level of person are you communicating with and IF in the event they do not give you timely responses what is your game plan? Might be time to elevate this a few levels and get them to commit to a time frame with a "what if not fixed by then?" scenario. I had a similar issue with Porsche and agree that each day the car is in the shop under THEIR possession that I felt they should be making the payment not me. Often times you need to let a business know, in kind but clear terms, what you expect and when you expect it by in reasonable terms that way you both know what to do and when. To sit back and let them dictate what and when at this point is just too ambiguous. Not sure where you're located perhaps it sitting in their shop is better than it outside on a street or parked in a busy garage where your wife and kids could bang it I don't know but each day that it is out of order is another day that they are making money while it's parked o their lot inoperable. You need to deal with a "yes" person not people who are only authorized to say no or "let me check"... get to that person

The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
Cee Jay (02-04-2016), ralphwg (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 AM

Yes Cambo the word burnt when describing the module was used more as saying it's unusable not that it actually burned up. What actually happened (as described by the service manager) was that during the software download from jag uk. The process froze half way through. In which case the unit was basically locked up. Unable to start over. Unable to continue. This happened at the same point jn the download on my original module and the second one bought by them.

Leeper you are correct. I started getting proactive last week. After turned into a month. I emailed jaguar usa and got an email reply letting me know a rep would call me this week. I did state my wish my payments get picked up. This week a rep did call me. Asked me for the situation in detail. The Vin number, and the jag/Landover dealership I do business with. He said he was going to call jag uk and get to the bottom of this and return with answers within two business days. Here in the states that's some point today. They haven't turned down my compensation request yet but I'm going to ask for it. Regardless what answers he or she has for me.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

A similar thing happened to me when I first bought my 2013 a few years ago. It happened before I took delivery of the car and I was pissed. The car only had around 250 miles on it. I had the Jaguar dealership in Palm Springs, Florida service the car before shipping it to me. A software update was required to the infotainment module. During the update the module froze. The module had to be removed from the car and sent to Jaguar, New Jersey for reprogramming. I forget how long this took, but it was not expected on a new car. I remember being very frustrated. Since the car has worked fine.

Last edited by DGL; 02-04-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 AM

DGL..
I find your comment a bit too close to heart being as how I had my car shipped up from West Palm Beach. It is a bit frustrating knowing a mint condition car is sitting at a Dealership with a poisoned brain. Oh yeah and a mysteriously missing volume knob I've yet to track down and replace lol

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

If they make your payments I'll be impressed. However at the very least, you should be driving a comparable loaner. You got there in an xkr, you should have left in one, not a volvo.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:48 AM

Completely agreed. .
Or at least a service voucher or something. I didn't get lucky like I did when I bought my red 2011 xkr. That came with that platinum maintenance package or something to that name. Either way I wasn't paying for anything ever when I brought my car in. Even got my brakes done for free. So even that in a descent amount would satisfy me. I'm supposed to hear from them sometime today

Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I can sse Jag corp not being keen to pick up costs caused by a franchise (aka dealer).

But... you the customer should not be suffering. The franchise should get you a good car to drive or some such.

If the franchise believes they've done everything right and it's somehow Jag corp to blame that's up to the pair of them to sort out - but it's never acceptable for the customer to be left in the lurch.

I hope they sort it out ASAP!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM

Another update for whose interested....
I got impatient today and called Jaguar corporate headquarters in NJ. They told me last week that they would call me by the end of the week with a response in regards to what they found out from jag uk.

It turns out they're still waiting for the engineering team in England to let them know what's up. On the upside (now I dont have this in writing) they're going to reimburse my car payments up til the day the car is completed. Ie 8 weeks would mean 2 payments, 10 weeks would mean 2.5 payments etc.. He said its a priority and in the best interests of the company to make good on this.

So I'm still driving a Volvo around putting as many miles as i please. I wasn't really going to be driving the car around too much bein it's cold and somewhat crappy out up here in NY. So if he's not lying, this may workout quite well. I may use the money to also Eurocharge tune like I did my '11 and push it a bit further with an exhaust mod. Crossing my fingers..

Old 02-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Oh good for you RS.

My unsolicited advice going forward would be to try to get everything in writing/email. You're in a tenuous position right now that could end up getting sticky or towards litigation... even if it just escalates up the Jag food-chain you'll want to have everything in order showing times/dates of when you spoke with whom and what the end result of that conversation was to be. If its a phone call then log who called and what was talked about then when they would get back with you. Keep detailed records and good luck with a happy ending

The following users liked this post:
SalsaCat83 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
Agreed..
That's why in my email to jaguar headquarters. I asked that they at least make my car payments while they fix it. Had this been summer time I'd probably would have gone to jail for throwing a fit in desparation to get my car back with haste. I will not accept the fact they gave me a Volvo to drive is my compensation.
Should have, at least, received a new F type to putt around in.
It's frustrating when this happens. Jag's customer service at the top is very poor. If this would improve sales would improve.......
Good Luck....

Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Oh good for you RS.

My unsolicited advice going forward would be to try to get everything in writing/email. You're in a tenuous position right now that could end up getting sticky or towards litigation... even if it just escalates up the Jag food-chain you'll want to have everything in order showing times/dates of when you spoke with whom and what the end result of that conversation was to be. If its a phone call then log who called and what was talked about then when they would get back with you. Keep detailed records and good luck with a happy ending
Too many years in the business world caused me to keep these kind of records on all 'vendor' interactions. Most of the time the clutter the files, but when you really need to rely on them...they're there. Solid advice for all, IMO, Leeper.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Repeated bricking of PCMs sounds like somebody in the electronics department royally screwed an interface protocol somewhere. Whether the problem is in the module or the update tool could be hard to nail down.

One other crazy thought. Are the updates done via a PC? Maybe there is a chunk of Jaguar's code that looks like a virus or Trojan and the computer's anti virus is tossing it out.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 PM

It's hard to say at the moment, having not heard from the engineering team in the uk. I know that whatever is going on in the coding started to download into my module fine then suddenly froze half way through. Causing an incomplete download and inability to restart. The second module was ordered by my dealership and of course the same thing happened. I do know that jaguar knows it's coming from their end and not the module or modules in my car. I just got a vague reasoning shortened to the phrase (corrupted software being sent to my dealership to install into my car). Still obviously awaiting a response and a time frame.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The franchise (dealer) has to connect a power supply (kind of battery maintainer) so the voltage cannot drop. Maybe they forgot. They would NOT want to admit that!!

Quick Reply: An update on the corrupted software issue