XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Using Plastidip on wheels and trim

Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Using Plastidip on wheels and trim

I replied in another post involving this, but I thought I'd share with the larger group. This is about my experience with Plastidip, who I am not affiliated with by any means, but it's a great/cost effective way to test new looks on your car, or protect certain areas.

Google/Youtube it for all info/videos, but in essence:

- It's a spray that turns rubber on nearly any surface
- It comes in serveral colors, and solutions for a matte/shiny look are available
- Any Home Depot will sell it for around 6 bucks a can
- It breaks easily on breaking points, making it very easy to work with
- It leaves no spots if applied right, if applied wrong, a simple bug remover spray gets rid of all evidence. I had to do that serveral time, so it really worked for me.
- With patience and a few tries, anybody can do it

Use case:
My XKR wheels are 20" Sentas in chrome. The chrome look I was never sure about from day one, but new wheels would cost a fortune and I wasn't sure what color/type I wanted to go.

Then I heard of plastidip, and thought I might be able to use that to test painting (or "dipping") my wheels black. Well, that's exactly what I did, and once I was done, I added the trim around my windows (which were also chrome). Lastly, I changed my silver back plate (reading Jaguar) into a gray.

Forgot: I also dipped the plastic right under the windshield, it always fades over time from the sun and washing fluid, looks like new now.

So, I got to:

- Try out a new look
- Protect my chrome wheels/trim

For 6 bucks per can (I needed about 7 for all the work described), a very cost-effective way to test out things, or protect your car. They even have a clear version that some use for chip protection. Plus, I can just remove it if I get tired of it.

Take a look at some pics: The first two are with chrome wheels/trim/back, the others show now blacked-out version using plastidip (wheels, trim, back in gray):

Attached Thumbnails Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-img_1618.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-9333141778_a7bfc408bd_o.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-img_1838.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-img_1783.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-img_1777.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by Marko:
Blueline205 (10-10-2013), jchou (10-12-2013), Muddydog (10-12-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

I've used the "DIP" on my Honda Element wheels and body panels. I love the stuff. It's been on the wheels for about 6 months now and it's held up perfectly. I got a scratch on the bumper and I just used some mineral spirits to smooth out the scratch and sprayed some more product. Done.

You can see a bunch of how-to videos and get many more colors (My HD only carries black and red) including metallic here:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/
No affiliation just a happy customer.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Looks great on your grey car. I like it. I thought about doing it on my 2013 black coupe, but I like the contrast of the polished wheels and chrome trim.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
Looks great on your grey car. I like it. I thought about doing it on my 2013 black coupe, but I like the contrast of the polished wheels and chrome trim.
Thanks!

A friend and forum member "Muddydog" has the black coupe (2010) as well. We dipped his wheels (just to try it out), and it looks awesome. We haven't done the trim yet, but I think that would look even cooler. I just love that you can try it out without risks. It's like a non-permanent tattoo.

Here's a pic of Muddy's coupe from one of our drives:

Attached Thumbnails Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-anne.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Marko:
JimC64 (10-10-2013), Muddydog (10-12-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Great job, looks excellent.

I am considering doing my trim, too. Don't know why the convertibles have the chrome trim when all other bits on my car (including my wheels) are black.

Any tips on how to deal with over spray? I imagine you had to be careful with the top up and interior exposed.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Yep, you do want to cover the interior and pick a place that's not too windy. Over-spray on the paint comes off best with simple bug & tar remover. Note that when you do the trim, you actually don't want to tape it off right to the edge. You need to leave a lip, where the Plastidip goes right on the paint. That is where it will break later and come off easily if you have enough layers. Otherwise the Plastidip will react with the tape, and it will rip your work apart when removing the tape.

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Here's a video of removing overspray with bug & tar remover. It comes right off.

Also watch tons of videos on how to apply it, remove it, spray it without texture, etc. Youtube has tons of good videos on it.

jchou (10-12-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 AM

Just a quick update, I thought I'd share. Car was quite dirty, but you get an impression. The wheel close-up should give you a good idea of the texture you can achieve with patience.

- Re-dipped wheels leaving the bolts free (looks more factory like)
- Dipped side vents black too (looks cool when signaling, slightly dimmed)
- Dipped chrome trim around the cabin black.
- Since I took the wheels off this time, I painted the calipers red.
- Also did the front plastic below the windshield (was faded from sun/washer fluid)

Planned next:
- Would love to do the tail lights upgrade, if only I would read about a reliable way to do it without being an electronics wiz.

Quite happy with it!

Attached Thumbnails Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-car_plastidipped_wheels.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-plastidipped_wheel_closeup.jpg  
Chromey35 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Looks real sweet. Great job. How's the stuff holding up to weather and wear/tear? How easy will it be to remove (will you need to pick at it for hours and weeks to get all the little difficult spots off)? I'd like to do my car to give it a different look then switch back. Do you have any areas where the stuff never properly adhered to the areas sprayed? Any arrears pealing off?

Last edited by DGL; 10-22-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
Looks real sweet. Great job. How's the stuff holding up to weather and wear/tear? How easy will it be to remove (will you need to pick at it for hours and weeks to get all the little difficult spots off)? I'd like to do my car to give it a different look then switch back. Do you have any areas where the stuff never properly adhered to the areas sprayed? Any arrears pealing off?
When done right (and it took me a couple tries), it sticks just fine. Nothing is peeling at all. Of course you'd treat plastidipped areas with a bit more care. The wheels I just splash of with water, and then dry them with a towel (works great).

Because I needed a couple tries, I can tell you the stuff really comes fully off, and with ease. The toughest is thin over-spray, for that I recommend bug & tar remover, takes it right off (see video above).

The key to application is patience. Especially the first (very light!) coat, needs to dry very good. The following coats all adhere to that, and are easier. I used heat-lamps to help the process (but not necessary). I also really recommend to check the many videos on Youtube, but overall it's really easy. I'm not specially talented at all when it comes to this stuff.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Add-on: I really recommend you take the wheels off, for even spraying. The other areas, trim, and plastic under window was super easy.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I plastidipped my rear chrome strip. Had to put another set of coats on it in about 5 months. Wonder how the wheels would hold up since they are subject to even more grime, high temps and abuse.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Evoking
I plastidipped my rear chrome strip. Had to put another set of coats on it in about 5 months. Wonder how the wheels would hold up since they are subject to even more grime, high temps and abuse.
Yep, I have my wheels only dipped for a few weeks now. But I drive most days, and no signs of tear yet. Even if I'd had to dip it again in a couple month, a great (and cheap!) way to test a new look.

Other areas (my trim, the chrome strip on the back, and plastic under windshield, are dipped for longer. No probs yet. I do have to say I go with about 8 layers or so, rather than the 4 or 5 most do.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I just dipped by winter wheels for my Rover. Turned out better than I expected for a $6 can. I was talking to my wheel guy and he said put some glossifier so it would be easier to clean.

Those who has plasti dip without glossifier or metalizer, how easy was it to clean as I rather have the flat look.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
I just dipped by winter wheels for my Rover. Turned out better than I expected for a $6 can. I was talking to my wheel guy and he said put some glossifier so it would be easier to clean.

Those who has plasti dip without glossifier or metalizer, how easy was it to clean as I rather have the flat look.
I have just used water with some pressure, and very light cleaning with a microfiber towel. I will try other things though.

The DipYourCar.com guys recommend Break Dust Pro, but that looks pretty spendy over time.

Pros: No touching required, just spray and wash off (pressure or normal hose).

Cons: $20 per bottle seems steep.

Here's a video:

Other people have used less expensive soaps, essentially stuff that is known to be safe on most surfaces. Meguiars has been named often, or other all purpose cleaners. Here's a guy using Optimum all purpose:

My wheels are dirty, also don't have the gloss, I will test something safe, and let you know what I find.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM

This guy uses plain dishwasher soap, swears on it. His dipped wheels are 7 months old!

I think I try that first.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Awesome thanks. Is yours flat black or did you put a glossifier on it?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Mine are flat black, nothing on it. A friend and Jaguar detailer recommended something that only adds very little gloss, but helps protect it. I find out what it is.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Marko
Mine are flat black, nothing on it. A friend and Jaguar detailer recommended something that only adds very little gloss, but helps protect it. I find out what it is.
Pretty sure it is the Plastidip "Glossifier" ?
Plasti Dip Enhancers | Dip Coating | Plasti Dip Interntional

Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Pretty sure it is the Plastidip "Glossifier" ?
Plasti Dip Enhancers | Dip Coating | Plasti Dip Interntional
Nah, I don't think that's it. The stuff that was recommended is something very soft, you just spray on after a cleaning. Not as permanent, but add just a bit of shine, not really glossy. It wears off though.

Now that I have things black, I know I like the look. I keep it this way for a bit, and then may look for some black permanent wheels. Keeping the original chrome wheel, and just pulling of the few other pieces of dip, I can restore it to original easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Plastidip on wheels and trim