XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vibration/Buzz in dashboard JagXK

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Vibration/Buzz sound in dashboard JagXK

I've a Jaguar XK 2010 portfolio convertible. When the car is standing still and is in D (at a stoplight) I hear a very annoying rattle. The garage took the left panel of and on but that didn't help Anybody recognize this and have a solution?

The rattle:

Last edited by Michaell; 11-27-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Wow! that is annoying: to me it sounds like a piece of paper hitting the blades of a fan - was your climate control on at the time? has a parking ticket/stub by chance fallen down the defroster vents at the front of the dash (this happens pretty frequently)? Is the noise louder near the climate control aspirator fan (which is behind that small grille on the dash just to the right of the steering )? If the climate control is entirely OFF, is the noise still present?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 AM
Default rattle

It's however constant and independent of the aircon set either low or high. To be exact though I did understand it's not possible to turn the climate system full of to zero?

Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated!

Last edited by Michaell; 11-27-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Of course it can be turned OFF. On the touch screen, under the CLIMATE option you have control of having the compressor ON or OFF (using the "economy" button) as well as an ON/OFF option for the entire system ("Climate"). If you turn it OFF with this button, the entire system, fans, compressor, air intake, everything, is OFF.
To instantly turn the system ON using the compressor for dehumidification and cooling with automatic fan control, you simply push the top section of the large round button at the bottom centre of the console (marked "AUTO"). The outer rubberised ring of this button controls the fan speeds manually.
Do you have an owner's manual?
So go to the climate control screen and touch the "climate" button to turn the system OFF. Now, do you still hear that noise?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from in a video, but something you can easily check... there is a rubber bumper on each side of the hood, that keeps the hood from vibrating. The bumper screws up and down, raising and lowering the bumper. If the bumper is too low, you can get a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the corner of the dash.

Easy check, especially if yours always does it, sit in the car and have someone (gently!) press on the corner of the hood, near the windshield. If it stops, that is your issue.

No idea if that's your issue, but it would be from that spot and it's easy to check. Mine was doing it from the other side, but only when I had a passenger in the car. Adjusting the bumper upwards just a hair solved it. Good luck, HTH.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:18 PM

@sov211: Turned the AC off but still the rattle. It happens when the car vibrates a certain way. Usually in D with my foot on the brake.

@TheMCP: The rattle seems to come from just under the dashboard on the inside.

More suggestions very welcome!

Old 11-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Like I said, I wouldn't say it's definitely that, but mine sounded like it was coming from the inside as well. I went nuts looking inside the glove box, the kick panels, the A pillar, everything. The noise I was hearing, I never would have thought it was coming from the engine bay, but there must be something with how the air vents are routed or something.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Thank you for elaborating! Will certainly look at the engine bay then!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine sounds a little similar, but mine is more of a chirp sound - sounds like a fan isn't sitting in the housing correctly and is touching it on each rotation of the fan. Mine goes off when I turn the climate system off. I got under the dash and can hear it coming from the Bosch blower behind the glove box. There's a couple screws on the bottom of the blower that I hope can 'adjust' The seating of the fan and eliminate the sound, but I don't have the right tool for the screws. The head of the screw has an imprint of a star that looks like it was made for a hex wrench with a star shape. I'm probably going to go by the dealership tomorrow to see if I can "borrow" the proper wrench because the sound drives me nuts.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 AM

The star shaped things are called torx heads. For smaller heads, they make bits that fit in a replaceable-bit screwdriver (handy to have around). They also make sets that will work with a socket wrench, if you have to work with larger bolts.

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

I had something similar after I had pulled the wooden trim off to wrap it. One of the clips on the piece under the gauges had slipped off, when I popped it back on and pushed it in it sounded fine. To test, press down on the various trim pieces when you are idling. If the sound stops when you are pushing on one, that'll be the culprit.

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (12-07-2014)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Michaell
I've a Jaguar XK 2010 portfolio convertible. When the car is standing still and is in D (at a stoplight) I hear a very annoying rattle. The garage took the left panel of and on but that didn't help Anybody recognize this and have a solution?

The rattle:
Michael. Did you ever find the source of your rattle? Ive a 2014 F Type and it has a very similar problem and its driving me nuts.
Michael Lawton

Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Shouldn't your F-Type still be under warranty? Did you take it to the Jag dealer?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Shouldn't your F-Type still be under warranty? Did you take it to the Jag dealer?
Yip. It's under warranty. Jaguar have had it for two weeks and can't find the fault. Today they are hooking up some kind of magnetic "ears" to see if they can better pinpoint where the rattle is coming from. Grrrrr. Frustrating.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It sounds to me like one of the flaps in the AC system trying to close but is stuck and the mechanism that moves it continues to slip. Maybe the windshield defrost area. If you push the start button without starting the car and let the AC system come on do you get the noise. If so then I would suspect it is in the AC system if not then I would start looking in the engine bay or under the car for vibrations.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I accidentally had a memory chip from my GoPro slide down into the front windshield vent! Luckily no noise from it, but whoever pulls the dash apart someday will get to see some great drives!

Old 07-29-2016, 11:28 AM

Yes it was solved FINALLY! All the official dealers couldn't solve it when finally a small mini/Jaguar garage just took the dash apart and stuffed some small spaces behind the dash here and there. That seemed to do the trick. It was probably some little wire vibrating against plastic. Another tip: I do remember reading on another thread that it can also be caused by the rubber of the hood. It doesn't sound like an outside issue but can be one. if the hood isn't properly on the car in the closed position it vibrates slightly which carries inside. Hope that helps. I can't tell you how annoyed I became from that @##$% sound. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

So it was more like the dealer 'wouldn't' solve it rather than 'couldn't' solve it...I would give them the bill from the small mini/Jaguar garage and ask them to pay it.