XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Well, I got my first ding this week...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Unhappy Well, I got my first ding this week...

I think it happened at a Wal Mart. I knew I should have parked out away from everyone.

It's on the flat surface of the wheel well directly above the tire, drivers side rear. I am two days away from my one month anniversary of ownership.

I could type more, but it is not PG rated...

Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Sorry to hear about your damage.

If it makes you feel any better, there has been at least once that I know for sure a shopping cart was deliberately PUSHED into a vehicle that I owned at the time....

There are times homicide should be legal....

BTW, I have been wondering since I bought my XK if bondo can be used to repair an aluminum body car? (not that I would ever want to actually PUT bondo into my aluminum body car)

Again, I am so sorry. I would be seeing red for a very long time if (and when) it happened to my Jaguar...

Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Oooohhh!

My heart goes out to you man... Found two new scratches in the clear coat this week on mine and I was bummed out for the rest of the day. (I'm a child, I know this)

No matter how careful we are there are just as many totally careless @%$#^&$* out there.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

rscultho, I feel so bad about that. You know there are just some a##h$#$# out there who would use the shopping cart or a door just because! Jealousy, see it all the time, be it bike or car. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. Don't need to tell you to park far away and hoof it. Hopefully with touch-up paint you can make it less noticeable. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

That sucks! People just don't care or they're jealous. Bring's back memories when in highschool....someone pee'd on my supra at the school's parking lot. Another of my friend saw it and told me. Luckily I came home and hosed it down.

Maybe try those dent doctor or dent wizard places? I've never tried them but you can give them a shot...that way no sanding and repainting is needed. I know dealers use them for their used cars.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I work on a USAF base and some co-workers sent me this pic on their way to lunch. This is my 07 Z06.
Name:  ARRGH.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  95.4 KB

Needless to say I was pissed.

Tom

Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

There's a paintless dent repair nearby. I plan on getting them to look at it -- maybe it will only be $75 or so...

Tom - that pic makes *me* mad.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
There's a paintless dent repair nearby. I plan on getting them to look at it -- maybe it will only be $75 or so...
I'll be curious if this procedure works on aluminum. Please keep us posted as I'm sure one day we'll all be faced with this sort of issue.

Tom

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by TomServo
I'll be curious if this procedure works on aluminum. Please keep us posted as I'm sure one day we'll all be faced with this sort of issue.

Tom
Yes, the procedure works on aluminum. My Jag dealer has an independent guy who regularly comes in and takes out minor, or even fairly large dents from Jags.

I had one taken out of my '05 XK and watched the whole procedure in kind of horror as the guy was, at times, using a blow-torch on the painted door surface to heat the panel to make it more pliable. Wondered how good that was for the paint? Also, the job was still not "perfect" if I looked close enough I could see the light reflection showing the spot of repair.

Albert

Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dent Dr worked for me. If my wife even looks at walmart I let her out and tell her take the bus. That place is the worst for people who don't care about cars. If I'm worried when in a lot, I just park far away. I don't like doing the two spot park job, makes ya look like a douche bag....guys that do that usually wear ball hats backwards lololol

Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my XKR for only a few days and had parked it in my office parking lot at 8am. I left at 10am and found a large abrasion on the drivers door where someone had pulled in and actually scraped the door with what had to be there bumper! This was NOT a door ding, but someone getting too close and brushing it with their car while parking next to it! We have a lot of elderly patients who don't see or drive well, so that's probably what happened. Anyway, a friend of mine who is the GM of a car dealership that does paintless dent repair was able to fix it just great for $200! No way I would have thought they could do it.

Now I AM the douchebag that parks a half mile away in a parking lot AND takes up two spaces!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Windigo
If my wife even looks at walmart I let her out and tell her take the bus.
You could always just wait in the parking lot with the car. Best of both worlds. They love the idea of having a Jaguar waiting on them and become more tolerant of your obsession. They might even pick up a couple of jugs of ATF for you.

Anyways, at the big box mall stores you will often see an area off the beaten path where employees of the store with rides they care about will park. The pluses are that they know where people don't want to park, and they are not likely to move because they are on shift. And even if they do come out, you know they don't want door chips on their cars either.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This happens to anyone , rest assured that even if you had parked away from everyone someone could have parked right next to your car .
I think when this happens you can't blame the person that parks his / her car next to you who know may be that owner could also suffer from same dilemma in the past .

Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I got nudged from behind in my 08 XKR. Hard enough to split the bumper cover and I'm sure there's now 1mm between the bumper and the cover on the side it was hit - which means the "crush tube" absorbed the impact (like it's supposed to).