XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What items to be included when picking up second hand XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:54 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default What items to be included when picking up second hand XKR?

Hi all!

Possibly looking at a soon purchase of my first Jaguar, I would like to establish what items the seller should hand over with the XKR when picking up the car.

Basically I want to have a check list, so nothing is forgotten on the pickup day... when exited.

Check list start:
  • 2 keys
  • Radio-code
  • Maintenance records
  • Manual
  • Wheels lock key
  • Navi DVD (one or more?)
  • Jack and wheel repair set?

what else??

Off course in addition to this there is paperwork and legal car documents, but this differs from country to country. No need to list here...

Regards
ter

Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Not to be included in the sale but rather pick it up on the way home from purchase. Radar Detector!

Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is no radio code for an X150.

If you get a car with Alcon brakes there's no spare wheel, no jack, no wheel brace.

Two keys is a must otherwise knock $500 of the price.

Locking wheelnut key only if it has lock nuts, and if it does the first thing you should do is take them off and throw them away.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Not to be included in the sale but rather pick it up on the way home from purchase. Radar Detector!
Funny story, when I recently purchased my 2010 XKR I noticed it had a K40 System installed. The owner of the car lot and I both looked for the volume knob etc. But I finally said don't worry about it. Well after I got it home and did some research and figured out it had a K40 Calibre system that is operated by remote control. No remote found any where.

So I decided to track down the previous owner, ironically that same day her name popped up in a google search and there was an Article in the Tampa Bay Times that day about her and her new venue she had opened. The article included the phone number for the venue so I called it and sure enough she answered. We had the most amazing 1 hour conversation and shared many interests and people from the past. I finally asked about the remote and she said it doesn't have a radar system. I said did you ever wonder what the beeps and blue lights were that flashed every time she started it up over the 4 YEARS of ownership...she started laughing and said she did but ignored it all those years.

SO, add the Radar Detector Remote to the list, if so equipped!! LOL

Oh, Oh, if any one has a K40 Calibre remote they aren't using PLEASE let me know!!

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Quart of oil

Old 04-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Bible, and pray nothing breaks.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Bible, and pray nothing breaks.
hehe, but despite what is probably the common view in the second hand market place regarding the Jaguar brand, I was under the impression that the XK and XKR are a very reliable model line!!
Or would you not share this view in general?

Br
ter

Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Very reliable for such a high performance vehicle. The most important thing on your checklist is the maintenance records. Because there is no dipstick and the low oil warning light is often too late or inoperative, it is essential to know that there were regular oil changes. The previous owner of my 5.0L XKR just never bothered to check the oil and was driving around without any. It resulted in him replacing the engine with a new one before I would buy it. Checking the oil level is a pain in the ****, but get in a regular habit of doing it and checking coolant level. I do it several times a week.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Without the dipstick, what is the procedure to check engine oil level?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

If you do it before you start the car in the morning. you press your start button without your foot on the brake and then scroll from your button on the end of the turn signal 'til you hit the oil level screen. If you have started the car or driven it and want to check like at a gas station, you have to turn off the car for about 20 minutes and then do the same procedure. It's not as accurate first thing in the morning but it's much less of a pain, and at least, it's an indicator.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19

No joke, I did this and it saved me a couple times on the long drive back from picking up!

Old 04-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
There is no radio code for an X150.

If you get a car with Alcon brakes there's no spare wheel, no jack, no wheel brace.

Two keys is a must otherwise knock $500 of the price.

Locking wheelnut key only if it has lock nuts, and if it does the first thing you should do is take them off and throw them away.
I have the standard locking wheel nuts, why are they no good? What's a good alternative for reasonable money?

Old 04-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisstone
I have the standard locking wheel nuts, why are they no good? What's a good alternative for reasonable money?
Sooner or later you will not have the locking nut when you need it. Stock lug nuts no locking.

The following users liked this post:
Swisstone (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Lots of threads in here about the abysmal stock nuts. A good number of members get a solid steel set which also fit on a Lexus or Toyota. I can't remember the specs, but all those threads have them. MUCH better than the stockers.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Get a CTeck battery tender and use it one a nightly basis. It will save you from experiencing lots of electrical/electronic gremlins. If the battery in the car is more than two years old be sure to check the voltage output at rest. If the output is below 12.5V plan on replacing it sooner rather than later.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

So about the locking wheel nuts.

How much do they really stop someone from stealing your wheels? Do they just move on to an easier target if an easier target is available?

I drilled out a set on a 944, key was lost. Once I figured out a decent way the others went really easy.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
If you do it before you start the car in the morning. you press your start button without your foot on the brake and then scroll from your button on the end of the turn signal 'til you hit the oil level screen. If you have started the car or driven it and want to check like at a gas station, you have to turn off the car for about 20 minutes and then do the same procedure. It's not as accurate first thing in the morning but it's much less of a pain, and at least, it's an indicator.
Have you noticed any difference in oil level between checking it 10 minutes after a journey or first thing in the morning because the Technical Guide for the 5 litre XK says this:

"The oil level should be checked when the oil is hot. It
is therefore recommended that a reading is taken
after a journey."

Old 04-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Have you noticed any difference in oil level between checking it 10 minutes after a journey or first thing in the morning because the Technical Guide for the 5 litre XK says this:

"The oil level should be checked when the oil is hot. It
is therefore recommended that a reading is taken
after a journey."
I took a little sample just to make sure I didn't see any difference or if there was then I could gauge it. I took a cold morning reading and at the end of the day waited to take the hot reading. I found NO differences in the readings. Now I also do an annual oil change which is around 4,000 miles . Also it usually takes 5-8 minutes before I get a hot reading. My sample base is doing this 10 times. So based on the limited data I am comfortable with checking while cold . During the driving months here I do a weekly check on all fluids and tire pressures. Oh I also have a temperature and voltage gauge . It works for me.

u102768 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I'd think that since most of the Wheel-Thief type characters wouldn't know what to DO with Jag wheels that they'd be a lower target right off the bat. Also, one would need a lower profile jack to even get underneath the thing.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

I have only rarely been willing to wait the nearly half hour to get a hot reading because I can't get mine to register after 10 minutes, however I did notice some difference where it was slightly lower on checking cold than hot. I also change my oil at 3-5K miles not willing to tempt fate nor trust the electronic gauge.

u102768 (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: What items to be included when picking up second hand XKR?