Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are you using on the dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default What are you using on the dash

I've usually used the Lexol products for the lether seats . Both the cleaner and the conditioner. Is this the best product to use to both clean and treat the leather and do you use it on the dashboard as well as the door panels. Along with that what are you using on the plastic parts both in the car and also the engine cover. As I talked to some detailers they seem to have their own products so unless I trust them I won't know if the product is any good. I'll just get a detail job done now as I just got the car and will most likely do it myself in the future.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

[QUOTE]Along with that what are you using on the plastic parts both in the car and also the engine cover.[QUOTE]

Mild soap and water on the vinyl or plastic......Lexol on the leather.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Plastic and vinyl = Aerospace 303
Leather = Leather Master Products (3 step, cleaner, conditioner, protectant)
Glass = Invisible glass
General interior = Meguiar's Quick interior

My 2 cents

Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I found a tag with my owner's manual that mentions to clean the leather with a white soft towel after moistening it in warm water. I use Plexus on the plastic and glass. I haven't really conditioned my car yet but will be using Lexol conditioner applied with some lexol pads that I picked up on line. I'm not getting too involved with a lexol cleaner as my car has not seen much use. Besides it's a PITA and I'd rather just go the Lexol conditioner route. I'm waiting for a cloudy day and will do the interior. I'm not planning on getting into the back seat unless I have time for the emergency room at my local hospital.

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-21-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

For leather I moved from Connolly's Hide Food to Lexol Wipes. I am totally loving the Lexol Wipes. They are pre-soaked with Lexol and so easy to use. Way quicker than using a rag and just comes out lovely.

For plastic, rubber, and tires; I use Megiars Hyper Dressing, mixed 4-1 for a natural finish. I don't like anything shiny or with a film. Hyper Dressing is a fantastic product that is well priced to boot.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Autoglym Vinyl & rubber for the dash and door rubbers etc etc

Its a water based product that leaves no sticky residue, no shine etc, just a clean matt finish and a lovely lemon fresh smell

Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Leatherique overnight, and then the second stage in the morning.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I've usually used the Lexol products for the lether seats . Both the cleaner and the conditioner. Is this the best product to use to both clean and treat the leather and do you use it on the dashboard as well as the door panels. Along with that what are you using on the plastic parts both in the car and also the engine cover. As I talked to some detailers they seem to have their own products so unless I trust them I won't know if the product is any good. I'll just get a detail job done now as I just got the car and will most likely do it myself in the future.
Leatherique cleaner left on for 6 to 8 hours on a hot sunny day followed by Leatherique conditioner.

303 Aerospace Protectant on rubber seals and black plastic.

210 Plastic Cleaner and Polish on wood grain parts of the dash and center console and instrument plexiglas.

Invisible Glass on the windows.

Only good quality microfiber towels.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

+1 on Aero 303

Cheers
DD

Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

I just finished conditioning my interior (excluding the back seats) with Lexol and some lexol pads. I needed to be careful not to get any residue on the headliner or A pillars. I was also "extra gentle" on the steering wheel as I don't know how it will react to the lexol. How do other members treat their steering wheel? Do you clean it first and does the leather look the same after cleaning it? How are you able to get into the back seat unless you are Houdini?

PS. I'm afraid I will remove the dye from the steering wheel if I clean it too often or aggressively. My steering wheel is black.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

As Tflan said:

On all leather surfaces, this is the only product I've seen remove dye from clothing even from dark leather that looked clean.

Leatherique cleaner left on for 6 to 8 hours on a hot sunny day followed by Leatherique conditioner.

It will get all the crud out of the steering wheel leather and leave it looking and feeling like new.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I just finished conditioning my interior (excluding the back seats) with Lexol and some lexol pads. I needed to be careful not to get any residue on the headliner or A pillars. I was also "extra gentle" on the steering wheel as I don't know how it will react to the lexol. How do other members treat their steering wheel? Do you clean it first and does the leather look the same after cleaning it? How are you able to get into the back seat unless you are Houdini?

PS. I'm afraid I will remove the dye from the steering wheel if I clean it too often or aggressively. My steering wheel is black.
I use the Lexol Cleaner, then the conditioner on the steering wheel. Once I apply the Lexol conditioner I use a microfiber cloth to buff out the wheel. I have NOT seen any change in color of the leather by using the Lexol products.

As for the back seat, it is so easy to clean and condition when you own a convertible. Just put the top down and go to work.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Autoglym Vinyl & rubber for the dash and door rubbers etc etc

Its a water based product that leaves no sticky residue, no shine etc, just a clean matt finish and a lovely lemon fresh smell

Like Summer's Eve?

Lothar52 (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

3M leather cleaner works great to remove stains, dirt, etc. from leather. A very easy to use professional product. I'll wipe the surface off with a damp rag after the clean & before the leather stuff is applied.

As stated before, I really can't get over how well the Lexol wipes work. Very impressive.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
Like Summer's Eve?
Hahaha lol .

Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Leatherique is probably the best though it is a PIA. Lexol gives you 95+% same result in very little time and smells a hell of a lot nicer. Gives car that new car smell IMHO.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

for Tom: the "woodgrain" parts of the dash are wood veneer, not plastic...there is no plastic "wood" in a Jaguar! The veneer should be waxed with a good quality carnauba (just like the paint) - the result is fabulous.
For the leather (including the dash and door panels, my experience is that Lexol works best for modern Jaguar leathers and for the 60's Vaumol leather (I prefer Leatherique for the earlier 80's/90's-vintage leather).

TFlan (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

After finishing the dash with lexol yesterday, I notice it is still a little uneven or blotchy. I assume since it is black and I just applied it, it make take a little while being in the sun to go back to it's natural flat appearance. I never had a leather dash before and I don't want to play with it too much.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
for Tom: the "woodgrain" parts of the dash are wood veneer, not plastic...there is no plastic "wood" in a Jaguar! The veneer should be waxed with a good quality carnauba (just like the paint) - the result is fabulous.
Wax does a great job on the wood, but I prefer to use Pledge; has a nice smell to it.

If using a carnauba wax, I would recommend masking the edges where the leather touches.

TFlan (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
After finishing the dash with lexol yesterday, I notice it is still a little uneven or blotchy. I assume since it is black and I just applied it, it make take a little while being in the sun to go back to it's natural flat appearance. I never had a leather dash before and I don't want to play with it too much.
If you did not choose to use the Lexol Leather Cleaner first, then there may be a good chance there is some kind of contaminent on the leather surface preventing the Lexol Conditioner product from properly drying and soaking into the leather dash.

You may have to clean the leather dash first, then re-apply the Lexol Leather Conditioner.

I have never had any reported problems with the leather dash when using and following the instructions of the 2 Lexol leather products.

Quick Reply: What are you using on the dash