Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are you using on the dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
If you did not choose to use the Lexol Leather Cleaner first, then there may be a good chance there is some kind of contaminent on the leather surface preventing the Lexol Conditioner product from properly drying and soaking into the leather dash.

You may have to clean the leather dash first, then re-apply the Lexol Leather Conditioner.

I have never had any reported problems with the leather dash when using and following the instructions of the 2 Lexol leather products.

Richzak, Can you use a sponge to clean the dash? Also, do you have to wait for the dash to completely dry before applying the Lexol Conditioner? Did you use circular strokes when cleaning as well as when applying the conditioner? I also applied the Conditioner pretty heavy and didn't buff it with a soft towel until quite some time later. I think it would have been best to do it right after I applied the conditioner. The dash leather seems delicate and I don't want to over do it. I originally used a Lexol pad, but I belief it it too rough for the surface of the dash. This time I would prefer to use a soft sponge. Any other suggestions to get the best results?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Richzak, Can you use a sponge to clean the dash? Also, do you have to wait for the dash to completely dry before applying the Lexol Conditioner? Did you use circular strokes when cleaning as well as when applying the conditioner? I also applied the Conditioner pretty heavy and didn't buff it with a soft towel until quite some time later. I think it would have been best to do it right after I applied the conditioner. The dash leather seems delicate and I don't want to over do it. I originally used a Lexol pad, but I belief it it too rough for the surface of the dash. This time I would prefer to use a soft sponge. Any other suggestions to get the best results?
I use a lightweight microfiber towel to apply the Lexol Conditioner. I get the lighweight microfiber towel wet with the Lexol Conditioner. The lightweight towel acts as a sponge but is so much softer. I just apply it in strokes and you can see the product on the leather dash start to soak in. Once I apply the Lexol Conditioner, I wait a few minutes for it to soak into the leather dash, then buff it out with a good quality medium to heavyweight microfiber towel. Before buffing you can feel the surface is a bit sticky. Buffing with the microfiber towel smooths out the dash nicely.

I do all the seats, door panels, steering wheel the same way as the dash. After a day, the seats become really slick, and I just slide into the seat. The leather on the Jaguar is real good top quality leather. It is far superior to what I have in my 2014 Porsche 981.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

I use a lightweight microfiber towel to apply the Lexol Conditioner. I get the lighweight microfiber towel wet with the Lexol Conditioner. The lightweight towel acts as a sponge but is so much softer. I just apply it in strokes and you can see the product on the leather dash start to soak in. Once I apply the Lexol Conditioner, I wait a few minutes for it to soak into the leather dash, then buff it out with a good quality medium to heavyweight microfiber towel. Before buffing you can feel the surface is a bit sticky. Buffing with the microfiber towel smooths out the dash nicely.

I do all the seats, door panels, steering wheel the same way as the dash. After a day, the seats become really slick, and I just slide into the seat. The leather on the Jaguar is real good top quality leather. It is far superior to what I have in my 2014 Porsche 981.

Do you wait for the lexol cleaner to completely dry before applying the conditioner?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Do you wait for the lexol cleaner to completely dry before applying the conditioner?
I use the Lexol Cleaner over the entire interior, take a break from the job about 10 to 15 minutes.........then apply the Lexol Conditioner.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

If the leather is clean from being clean...ie you dont see anything wrong with it...how often does it need cleaned/conditioned to keep it healthy?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
If the leather is clean from being clean...ie you dont see anything wrong with it...how often does it need cleaned/conditioned to keep it healthy?
Here's what I do, others may apply differently.

I only use the Lexol Cleaner every other application of the conditioner.

I do the Lexol detail about once per month.

Lexol Cleaner every other month, Lexol Conditioner once per month.

I make sure that the double stitching on my seats, & door panels get an extra little coating of conditioner. I want to make sure the seams (stitching) is nice and soft. This is one area on any car that leather can usually split or tear apart. I want to make sure the leather is plyable and soft around the stitching.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Autoglym Vinyl & rubber for the dash and door rubbers etc etc

Its a water based product that leaves no sticky residue, no shine etc, just a clean matt finish and a lovely lemon fresh smell
This!

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I've been sort of neglectful on my dash care, but I throw some Lexol on there every couple months or so. My dash is still peeling, but I think it was that way when I bought it.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I've been sort of neglectful on my dash care, but I throw some Lexol on there every couple months or so. My dash is still peeling, but I think it was that way when I bought it.
Try not to be too neglectful with the leather on the dash. Apply the Lexol Conditioner once each month to the dash. I understand your car sits outside all the time, so I am sure your dash gets dried out with sun. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside, it's the UV rays that can affect the leather both with dryness and color fading.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Right now, the Jag sits in covered parking so very little UV rays. But soon when we move into our new house it will sit out in the sun (hopefully under a car cover). You can bet when that happens I'll be doing Lexol once a week!

I actually just applied Lexol today!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

If you did not choose to use the Lexol Leather Cleaner first, then there may be a good chance there is some kind of contaminent on the leather surface preventing the Lexol Conditioner product from properly drying and soaking into the leather dash.

You may have to clean the leather dash first, then re-apply the Lexol Leather Conditioner.

I have never had any reported problems with the leather dash when using and following the instructions of the 2 Lexol leather products.

After applying the conditioner to my dash, doors, and seat 3 days ago, I had mentioned that I did notice it was somewhat botchy on different areas of the dash. As Richzak suggested, I was planning on using the cleaner first and then the conditioner to see if it improved. However, when I went into the garage today and looked at the interior, the dash had no uneven areas and looked really good. I guess it did take a few days for the Lexol conditioner to completely soak in.

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-26-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I worked for a private auto collector while in college. Washing his car collection 30 hours a week inside his 8+ car garage. He was adamant that Lexol cleaner should only be used if the surface is visibly dirty. A well rung towel wiped down whole interior before Lexol conditioner is used.

He was a fanatical owner; had his owner washer-dryer for towels, his own Megiars distributorship, and an ionizer & dust collector for when the garage door opens... Left me virtually debt free when I graduated college!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I worked for a private auto collector while in college. Washing his car collection 30 hours a week inside his 8+ car garage. He was adamant that Lexol cleaner should only be used if the surface is visibly dirty. A well rung towel wiped down whole interior before Lexol conditioner is used.

He was a fanatical owner; had his owner washer-dryer for towels, his own Megiars distributorship, and an ionizer & dust collector for when the garage door opens... Left me virtually debt free when I graduated college!

I too used a damp soft towel to wipe down my interior before applying the Lexol conditioner.