XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where does everybody go for their oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where does everybody go for their oil changes

jiffy lubes, quick lubes, dealerships, do it yourselfer and why???

Old 11-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I do it in my garage. Not for trying to save that few bucks but, because it is a big time saver for me. I change the oil and filter in 15 minutes while it would take far longer to take the car to any kind of service facilities.

Also, when I do it I know that it is done right. When I got my car I found that both the drain plug and the oil filter were tightened to such extremes that I had to destroy the filter and risk shearing the drain plug head off to remove them. The previous service was done by one of the most "reputable" Jaguar dealer in the SF Bay Area. I actually took the time and wrote the dealership an e-mail pointing out such lack of mechanical skills from one of their mechanics.

Albert

Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I relate something to everyone i see all the time and in my stall right now
when you go in for an oil change to quick lubes, and even alot of indies. (and sometimes dealers too)You miss out on someone looking at your car thats knows the issues with that type car no matter what it is. The car i have right now hasnt been to the dealer in 3 yrs and has an extended warranty on a stype. Now his oil changes are up to date. Has new brake pads and new shocks all the way around. His shifter got stuck in park and the shop he's been going to doesnt know how to fix it(i think theyre also the ones that broke it since he said he couldnt get it out of park. Now it comes out freely since the plastic piece inside is broken)
so it was towed to the dealer. Now i get it in the air to look it over and he has bad tie rods front and rear, wornout sway bar bushings, a bad left lower ball joint and broken right front control arm bushing. His tires are chewed up from the wornout suspension and alignment issue. So he prematurely need 4 tires too. Talked to my service adviser about this is and she said he has been getting all his work done elswhere and just had new shocks put in for suspension noise. Well none of the work they appear to have ever done is ext warranty work, but customer pay, maybe they dont work with ext warranty companies?. All the stuff i found would have been and is. Now i would have worked out favorable labor with him too on the shocks since there will be some labor overlap with what his ext warranty will pay for on other items needed. I look at cars when i do oil changes too for things just like this wether customer pay, factory or ext warranty. Thats my job.
But i find alot of places especially quicky lubes do just what you ask for, and you as a customer in my opinion are very short changed by this. I meen wouldnt you like to know you need a hose or belt before it breaks leaving you on the road broke down waiting on a wrecker? Or suspension issues taken care of so they dont affect the safety of you and your family with a failure or cause your expensve tires to prematurely wear? To make matters worse you buy an extended warranty and dont even get the level or needed repairs you pay for....so just keep this all in mind for no matter what the car is you drive. And if you have a shop or person that gives you this kind of service then stay with them and dont be so cheap on everything to the point that in the long run you pay alot more for something than you really saved......

Old 11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Brutally honest. You can pay me now or alot more later...owning a Jag ain't cheap. So if your penny wise and dollar foolish you need to look at another breed. Tech's like Brutal are a rare find indeed. Your problem then is finding a dealership that has a tech that with the knowledge and skills who really cares and goes the extra mile.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (11-25-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i go to jaguar dealership get employee discount and they shuttled me to work lol

Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I go to the dealer. Costs just under $100 and saves me the hassle. I personally would never take to a jiffy lube or the like for fear of any damage. I just had my oil changed at the dealer and now have some oil dripping on my garage floor. I think it was just the drained oil from the oil change. Also they had to shampoo my carpets due to someone getting the carpets dirty during the work. Oh well they cleaned up fine.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I go to my dealership. Every time I've taken my Jag somewhere else they manage to do it wrong. (One place even hit the corner of my VDP driving it into the bay, then tried to act like it wasn't their fault.) My dealership gives me a discount and a free wash to boot, so it's worth the higher cost (and less hassle) to me.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Guys,
It's best to do your own! I have been maintaining my Jaguars etc for over 50 years; if you think Jaguars are expensive try an Acura MDX! special Honda oils for tranny and rear end.
Don't see how you can own any Jaguar without crawling underneath! they are really beautifully built. the XK has some really superb castings. And the E's engine, carbs and access is something else.
Even crawling under our Motor Home to change oil, etc. is fun.............
Too many people don't understand what they are driving!!

Being an ex-apprentice and retired Boeing Engineer I just love machinary..........

Adrian, 2007 XK Coupe, 2000 XK8 Conv. '68 E type Coupe, 2002Acura MDX

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to EuroTech, a Jaguar-specific shop in OKC. Oil change with complete inspection. They let me wander around under the car when it's on the lift.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I go to the dealer. Costs just under $100 and saves me the hassle. I personally would never take to a jiffy lube or the like for fear of any damage. I just had my oil changed at the dealer and now have some oil dripping on my garage floor. I think it was just the drained oil from the oil change. Also they had to shampoo my carpets due to someone getting the carpets dirty during the work. Oh well they cleaned up fine.
Dan, maybe you need me to do your oil changes. I dont get dirty and wear latex gloves all day, nor do I work in a dirty oily stall. Do you go to Momentum?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Done in my garage by me. Just like every vehicle I own

Eddie

Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a lift at home but the dealer while it still under warranty. Get a discount.