XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Who makes the nicest interiors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Who makes the nicest interiors

Was parked up today and a guy with a 2009 Maserati Granturismo parked beside me, we did a bit of car banter, good and bad. But have to say the interior of the Maserati was beautiful, left the jag a bit bland. Have seen a few Maseratis and all seem to have stunning interiors. They seem to get it right in any color and layout, even total black looks great. I know nothing about these cars and not a great fan of the outer shape but whoever designed the interiors should give jaguar a few pointers. The xk/xkr interior from 2006 up hasn't changed much. My old 2005 xkr as we know had the pipe and slippers interior. The inside should be as good as the outside look of the car, my 2007 IMO was let down very bad by the design, could have been so much better.

Attached Thumbnails Who makes the nicest interiors-interior.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Tie

I's say it's a toss-up between Maserati and Bentley. Maseratis are more sporty ... Bentleys, more elegant!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Powerhouse,

I disagree. The interior of my 4.2L 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible is gorgeous - all leather everywhere (Ivory and Slate), contrast double-stitched, and real wood veneer (Rich Oak) on the dashboard and doors. Even the OEM floor mats are bound with matching genuine leather. (This photo shows my aftermarket gray floor mats because I save the OEM mats that are Ivory and are impractical for everyday use.)

This was the top-of-the- line model, and the materials used in other models were not as nice although the design was basically the same.

The 2009 Maserati Granturismo cost tens of thousands of $$$ more than the 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio. The XKR outperformed the Maserati, cost far less to maintain, was more reliable, and turns just as many heads. Why pay more for less?

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-07-2016 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess it's relative to what you are looking for . Is it for a GT or sports or performance or just a lux. touring car. I would say most modern upscale cars have great interior appointments . I liked the Jaguar XK performance seats in the 2 tone version with the same pattern for the door panels. I didn't look for them as they didn't have the cooling feature. The Mazz is OK but I put it on the level of the XK. I do like the AM as I think they do a great job with a lot of detail. The newer Ferrari's are nice but not as comfortable for my liking. I haven't been impressed with Corvette or Porsche .

Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

IMHO

1. Aston Martin with best colour combo's and richness/feel
  2. Bentley
  3. Rolls Royce
  4. Maserati
  5. Jaguar

Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Porsche, they have a great combination of style and usefulness. If you want Luxury styled materials, you can get it, if you want practical/easy to clean, you can get it. With options of course, Porsche will happily turn a $90K car into $200K if you check enough boxes.

The XK - the "paddle shifts" that do not allow you to hold the steering wheel comfortably, dings it heavily. The electronic screens were also added in very badly. It would of been nicer to have a normal gauge pod, and put that center screen else ware. The center screen doesn't really fit in either. Its a transition in technology, and just not done in a timeless fashion.

The Maseratis look fantastic I will agree.

As a kid, I loved looking at the light/dark brown + black + polished and brushed metal interiors on Ferrari's. Jaguars, psh, those were old folks cars.

Guess I didn't stay young forever.

Last edited by Tervuren; 02-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I love watching the video below as it shows how good the XKR was and still is, but how much better they could have made it. 0.46 secs in and I think Jeremy tells it as it was.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v515t

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to say I love the interior of my 2010 XK 5.0L. The only problem is when the sun is shining, it reflects the dash on the windscreen, but with a pair of polarizing sunglasses problem solved.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I am also not impressed with interior of my 2010 XKR, it's ho-hum. However, this is the same company that makes the XJ interior which is so, so much richer and more luxurious looking. Maserati Gran Turismo and Bentley both have great interiors.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot or xk's/xkr with wood trim in the US market. Don't get me wrong everyone to their own style and we all have different tastes, but is wood now a bit dated, seems to be all carbon or aluminum effect now. Just my option, please don't hate me!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

What was the new price of the Maser and the Bentley compared to the XKR though...?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Is it me or does there seem to be a lot or xk's/xkr with wood trim in the US market. Don't get me wrong everyone to their own style and we all have different tastes, but is wood now a bit dated, seems to be all carbon or aluminum effect now. Just my option, please don't hate me!
I agree the wood look is quite dated, but that's what you get with a Jag - tradition and old world charm.
Having said that I would love to get a piano black wrap or something to update the interior.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I had an 08 XF with ivory/oyster/walnut and it was very classy. It had minimal wood, just a few highlights here and there, and quite a bit of aluminium. Then I had a '12 model that had piano black with black leather and white contrast stitching. It looked sportier but not as luxurious.

The XKR interior was a mixed bag in comparison. The huge amounts of wood dated it and the centre instrument cluster was a bit tired looking compared to the nice aluminium, black, and ice blue of the XF. But then the XKR has heaps more leather and the leather quality is top notch. so I wrapped the walnut in it with piano black and carbon and it looks good to me, though purists would prefer the wood.

Simon, wrapping the interior is really easy, there are plenty of threads on it, and there is a download somewhere that gives you tips on removing the trim.

I like the late model Maserati interiors to some extent more than the exteriors which always seem a little disproportionate to me. I saw pictures of one in a rich chocolate colour that looked amazing. But people that have driven them have mentioned that they are a bit cheapish inside. I wouldnt know - people say the same about the XE and I like it subject to a few things.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
What was the new price of the Maser and the Bentley compared to the XKR though...?
Yes Cambo, but to create one of the best and have to says still one of the sexyest body shapes ever, and still gets the heads turning and to have a so so interior is a bit bizarre. Ian Callum as we know was one of the Aston designers and the xk bares a striking resemblance to the Aston DB9. I know the Aston is a different league in price and quality but it's a pity the interior and layout had a similar style copied to the xk. The picture below is from a 2005 DB9, if the xk look half as good. That would be the ultimate mod, an xk with an Aston interior.

Attached Thumbnails Who makes the nicest interiors-2005-aston-martin-db9-6.jpg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 02-07-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Powerhouse,

Thanks for the great video.

Jeremy disliked the interior of his XKR test car because it had the spun aluminum trim. He also didn't like the Salsa Red exterior. His opinion might have been different if his test car had a Shadow Gray exterior and Ivory/Slate interior with Rich Oak wood trim.

Some owners love their red cars with spun aluminum trim. We have varying tastes.

Regardless, he loved how the XKR drove even though the 420HP 4.2L engine was an old design and had less power than the competition at that time. I'd like to know what he would say after driving a 550HP 5.0L XKR-S.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-07-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Was parked up today and a guy with a 2009 Maserati Granturismo parked beside me, we did a bit of car banter, good and bad. But have to say the interior of the Maserati was beautiful, left the jag a bit bland. ..... The inside should be as good as the outside look of the car, my 2007 IMO was let down very bad by the design, could have been so much better.
Maybe the Maserati was just... 'Different'?

Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Default Wood Trim

A big "Thanks" to Mother Nature for the incredible wood veneer in my 2013 XJ. The photo doesn't do justice to the variations in the colors and swirls.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I like my interior, it's very comfortable and practical. Nothing is "out of reach", even when I need to stray away from the steering wheel controls. The only thing I would change is the analog clock on the dash, it just looks a bit "dated" as the picture isn't very crisp.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

In my eyes my 2007 Jaguar XK is one of the nicest interiors ever made. It is very pleasing to the eye and still looks modern and new 9 years and 98,000 miles later. Props to Jaguar for an excellent design.

Attached Thumbnails Who makes the nicest interiors-jag3.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelodonnell123:
jagjeep (07-12-2016), jbretthorton (02-26-2018)
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I LOVE my XK but must say that I'm not a huge fan of the wood interior... though classic English is does look dated. The 2010+ look mighty fine in my unsolicited opinion. That being said definitely NOT a fan of Bentley as they look like a yacht to me (clearly their design goal). Porsche to me, even the turbo's looks like cheap plastic (I've recently had two P's loved the way they drove but their dashes were cheap looking). That Maserati looked pretty nice as does a coupe of the Mercs. BMW to me looks downright nasty especially the 6 series which I hoped I'd like but they are way too utilitarian and cheap looking... actually like Honda more than BMW which is sad.

I've redone the stitching in mine as well as covered the wood with vinyl wrap much happier now.

Quick Reply: Who makes the nicest interiors