Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why so few problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Why so few problems?

Am I missing something? Normally these forums are filled with horror stories and complaining about problems, yet the XK/XKR forum seems strangely devoid of these threads! I see one or two every now and then, but it seems like on the X350, every other thread was about an air suspension problem, a throttle body problem or some other restricted performance problem.

Is this a sign of how reliable the 2007+ XK/XKR is? Or am I crazy?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Am I missing something?

Is this a sign of how reliable the 2007+ XK/XKR is? Or am I crazy?
You are crazy, about the same reliablity as XJ.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You are not crazy!

The XK has been rock solid for me. This goes in line with my service advisors experience with this model car as well. I have not even had the opportunity to use my extended warranty!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

What dealer are you using, I bought my Jag from West Chester Jaguar, knock on wood, i haven't had the need for a dealer service. My Jag has been great, just turned 60k.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

My 07 XK, while not rock solid, has been pretty good and I have not had to use the "select edition warranty". The only problem I have had is a non functional Passenger Seat lumbar support and a right front shock that shows seepage. I have had the car for 7 months.

I decided not to fix the lumbar support as I don't want the upholstery torn up.

The shock issue is not serious but it bears watching and, of course, is not covered by the warranty. SOAB

This business of useless extended warranties is a whole different story. The notorious XJ air suspension and Jag's failure to address it has negated all the good work Ford did with Jaguar quality control during their ownership. Thankfully, the XKs don't seem to have any serious design/reliability issues.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm... interesting what you said about your shock. I wouldn't think to check something like that on a relatively new car.

Then again, the cost of new conventional shocks is so much less than those air springs!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have an evaporation leak that needs to be diagnosed and my external air temp sensor does not always work. Needs to be secured better. One bump can turn it off or on. The aspirator motor for inside temperature is noisy.

All this on an 18K car, but I am still satisfied with car as a whole.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cars are alive. We put them together and then sake the hell out of them on the drives we take. If you want the car to never break, wax it and look at it in our garage. That's no fun. Let's speed up twisty roads. Then we can rest up as it get fixed.

The following 2 users liked this post by deano:
cmgjb3366 (06-24-2012), ronev (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm... interesting what you said about your shock. I wouldn't think to check something like that on a relatively new car.

Then again, the cost of new conventional shocks is so much less than those air springs!
I wish they were conventional shocks. They are computer controlled devices and quite expensive, upwards of $400 I believe. Thankfully, they are not at "critical yet.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Damn it!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deano
Cars are alive. We put them together and then sake the hell out of them on the drives we take. If you want the car to never break, wax it and look at it in our garage. That's no fun. Let's speed up twisty roads. Then we can rest up as it get fixed.
Mine has been perfect, but so is your attitude. I'm officially adopting your credo, deano.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
I wish they were conventional shocks. They are computer controlled devices and quite expensive, upwards of $400 I believe. Thankfully, they are not at "critical yet.
How will you know when they are critical?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I put a right front shock on a friend's 07 XK (with less than 30k on the clock) last fall. Yes, I was a little surprised, but given that the s-types have gone through many shocks, not too surprised. It is not cheap either as all USA shocks are CATS shocks meaning more money. I did the whole job for $500. He was happy since I live and breathe Jags and he didn't have to pay the dealer. Win Win. Other than that, he absolutely has had zero problems with his car. Parks it in the winter months and brings it out in the spring.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I don't think you are crazy. Have had an 02 XKR, 07 XKR, and now the 2010 XKR.

Have had minor issues, but nothing major. I don't think many understand the sophistication and just damn impressive design, engineering, and construction that goes into the XK/R's.

Man/woman is not perfect. The things we create are not perfect. Some cars will have problems no matter the manufacturer. All manufacturers have had systems that did not perform as designed for some reason, and may have been failures in the marketplace. Anyone that has been involved with engineering systems (technology or otherwise) understands the sheer complexity involved in creating something like the XK and then taking it from a thought in a brain to a real thing you can touch and experience. So many take this kind of stuff for granted.

And then you get into the people part of the equation - oh my word...that's a very difficult area. Some people just have unrealistic expectations, or simply can't be pleased - not even with a smoke and a pancake.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

So are there any things I can expect to go wrong? I know the AC drain tube design is no good, but that's sort of a minor repair cost ($400 or so, right?). Any real problems with the touch screen, climate control, etc.? I assume drivetrain and suspension issues are rather uncommon.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

So are there any things I can expect to go wrong? I know the AC drain tube design is no good, but that's sort of a minor repair cost ($400 or so, right?). Any real problems with the touch screen, climate control, etc.? I assume drivetrain and suspension issues are rather uncommon.
Expect to go wrong? Don't know of anything (personally) you should "expect" to go wrong.

I'd say a good warranty will protect you from repair costs not matter what problems you may have. And, there are ways of ensuring you get your money's worth from a warranty.

The drain tube is a minor thing I agree. I had no other problems myself. I did have the door module replaced on the 07 (was still under factory warranty) because it would not hold the memory position of the drivers mirror; that and the drain thing was the only issue I had on the 07. I put about 13K on it in the year I had it. I changed the oil when I first got it, and then 2 other times. No head unit issues, no driver display issues, no idling issues.

My 2010 is different with oil. Recommended change interval is every service interval (15K miles or 1 year). I have had no issues with my 2010. I have the service records from the previous dealership that serviced it. No issues recorded on the printout.

So, should you *expect* something to go wrong? I would say no. Are there things you can educate yourself about with these cars - I would say yes. Obviously we discuss that stuff on the forums.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
How will you know when they are critical?

The line I have set for myself as to when to replace that CAT Shock is when the seepage produces the first droplet. For now, the seepage is a slight oiliness in the road dust around the lower half of the shock.

To be avoided is waiting till the suspension goes "wonkie".

Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Some people just have unrealistic expectations, or simply can't be pleased - not even with a smoke and a pancake.
Bong and a blintz?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even hard core pain killers for back pain.....

Wonder how his SL550 experience is progressing........

Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my 2008 XK black/caramel conv for 15 months and 7,000 miles. Only one small thing has gone wrong which I now have it back in shop for 3rd time. One of the small sliding plastic panels (there is one on each side of car just behing the door) that opens and closes when you raise and lower the roof keeps malfunctioning. I don't know why they have trouble getting it to stay fixed. So overall I am very pleased with the quality.

Quick Reply: Why so few problems?