XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why so Power Hungry?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

IMPORTANT....The double locking or double pressing of the key fob is a security issue, not a battery issue. If the key fob is pressed once, the car is locked, the security system is activated and the car electrical system still shuts down after a specific time which I understand to be about 6 to 8 minutes.

The double press of the key fob adds extra security, not to save battery power.

Keep this in mind.

The idea of someone stealing a Jaguar is quite rare according to stastisics.

I think many people will now think that double pressing the lock feature on the key fob will eliminate electrical, or battery issues and that is not the case.

It is just an extra degree of security only.

The best way to avoid electrical issues is to maintain a full charge on the battery to provide proper charging and voltage to the required components of the Jaguar or any other automotive brand that has high tech electrical systems and components. And that my fellow members is using a battery smartcharger of your choice (CTEK brand or otherwise) all the time, when the Jaguar is not in use.

Those members here that have taken the initiative to acquire a battery smartcharger and keep it on the car at all times when not in use do not experience these electrical issues.

Last edited by richzak; 02-05-2015 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm gonna try it out and have my wife get into the car and then do the double lock sequence. I'll then come back inside and see if she comes in at some point . Now if she can't get out , well LOL

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
IMPORTANT....The double locking or double pressing of the key fob is a security issue, not a battery issue. If the key fob is pressed once, the car is locked, the security system is activated and the car electrical system still shuts down after a specific time which I understand to be about 6 to 8 minutes.

The double press of the key fob adds extra security, not to save battery power.

Keep this in mind.

The idea of someone stealing a Jaguar is quite rare according to stastisics.

I think many people will now think that double pressing the lock feature on the key fob will eliminate electrical, or battery issues and that is not the case.

It is just an extra degree of security only.

The best way to avoid electrical issues is to maintain a full charge on the battery to provide proper charging and voltage to the required components of the Jaguar or any other automotive brand that has high tech electrical systems and components. And that my fellow members is using a battery smartcharger of your choice (CTEK brand or otherwise) all the time, when the Jaguar is not in use.

Those members here that have taken the initiative to acquire a battery smartcharger and keep it on the car at all times when not in use do not experience these electrical issues.
Thanks Rich,
I just read the owners manual for 2010, pages 19 and 32 that address locking and arming car, Nowhere does it mention the double pressing of the buttons for increased security. Is it mentioned somewhere else in the manual? ps. luv my CTEK!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Truthfully, I didn't realize that people DIDN'T know about double-lock, or I would have brought it up much sooner. My bad, I guess.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 02-05-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Truthfully, I didn't realize that people DIDN'T know about double-lock, or I would have brought it up much sooner. My bad, I guess.
Could it be for UK spec models? I feel like American regulators wouldn't allow someone to be locked inside the car.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Could it be for UK spec models? I feel like American regulators wouldn't allow someone to be locked inside the car.
I have no clue, and no idea why a Locked In situation would be needed.
Anyway, all I know is that when my XKR was sitting single-locked for three days it had a start problem with the battery.
When it next sat Double locked, it was almost three weeks and she started right up.
Beats me.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have no clue, and no idea why a Locked In situation would be needed.
Anyway, all I know is that when my XKR was sitting single-locked for three days it had a start problem with the battery.
When it next sat Double locked, it was almost three weeks and she started right up.
Beats me.
Are you using a battery smartcharger on the Jaguar when not in use?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Alan:

Consider this.......someone smashes the window thinking there is something inside to steal or trying to steal the car. Double lock with horn beep, would prevent potential thief from opening the door from the inside while standing outside of the car.

This might help. A rare scenario at best.

See image below that I inserted into this post as there are CAUTIONS to setting the double lock feature.

Attached Thumbnails Why so Power Hungry?-double-locking.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 02-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.
amcdonal86 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

From the User Manual...

Press the lock button twice within three seconds to double-lock all the doors
Out of interest is that quote from a paper manual that came with your car or one you downloaded because they are region specific?

If it is electronic what is the publication number on the front cover e.g. JJM 10 02 30 101?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

There are two stages of Lock and Alarm on the XKs.
From the User Manual...
Press and release the lock button to lock the vehicle and arm the alarm.
The doors are prevented from being opened from outside of the vehicle. The doors can be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle. The hazard warning lamps will flash once as confirmation.
Press the lock button twice within three seconds to double-lock all the doors and set the alarm system to provide the highest level of security - use this method whenever possible.
Note: When the vehicle is double locked, the interior door handles are immobilised.

The LOCK BUTTON can be either on the Smartkey or on the Door Handle. The first push folds the mirrors (if so equipped) and locks the doors. The second push has an audible BEEP. That's the double-lock and alarm.
I can find nothing in my manual about double locking. I tried pressing the lock a second time within 3 seconds, the lights flash again just like after one push and NO audible beep. I don't think my car has this double locking feature. Maybe I also need to lock my wife in the car to find out!

Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
I can find nothing in my manual about double locking.
I might be wrong but I think people are quoting from an electronic copy of a UK manual not a US manual. I came across a list once but I believe that a UK one is JJM 10... and a US one will be JJM 18...

I think that UK cars have the double locking and interior sensing but the US cars just have perimeter sensing so double locking a UK car might actually use more power because it is scanning the interior as well as the perimeter!

Last edited by u102768; 02-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
bobdr1 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Out of interest is that quote from a paper manual that came with your car or one you downloaded because they are region specific?

If it is electronic what is the publication number on the front cover e.g. JJM 10 02 30 101?
I have the electronic one you have listed above. Since most of the Region Referrences in it are GB biased, I assume it's the UK edition.

All I know is that mine double locks and I have locked the wife inside by "accident" a couple times. An amusing feature.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Canadian-market and US-market Jaguars do not have the double-locking feature - if you can call it a feature; I think it could be a potential hazard!
The double locking is not to be confused with "two-stage" unlocking, which the Canadian and US cars DO have - that is a feature whereby either the driver's door only or both doors can be opened by the first press of the fob button.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
amcdonal86 (02-05-2015), bobdr1 (02-06-2015), richzak (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Ok, I guess we all have to put the wife in the car and try the experiment!
All I know at the moment, is that if I press the lock button once, I hear the doors lock, with no horn beep. On the second press I hear the horn beep.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
On the second press I hear the horn beep.
That matches what I posted earlier:

Lock confirmation
If you are uncertain whether the vehicle is locked and armed, press the lock button again. An audible confirmation will sound and the hazard warning lights will flash to indicate and confirm the current lock status. Note: If the vehicle is not already locked and armed, pressing the lock button will lock the vehicle.

Judging by the parts manual, only Japan and the USA don't get deadlocking.

Attached Thumbnails Why so Power Hungry?-latch.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Actually I think this would be a good idea . At times when I park instead of putting the top back up it would be good to just put the windows up and double lock the car. Even if someone breaks the glass they couldn't open the doors so if they wanted in they would need to jump over the door.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

And that's the idea - without the deadlock and volumetric sensing, the thief can smash the window without triggering the alarm, open the door (alarm goes off), rifle through the car and leg it. With the deadlock and volumetric sensing, you don't get the easy access and the alarm goes off as soon as the glass breaks, and that limits how much time the thief can spend trying to get to stuff.

However, the volumetric sensing will trigger if you leave a window open or the top down, so it's not feasible to use the double-lock system to do what you want. I'm not sure you can even lock the car at all unless the top is up. From the workshop manual:

If any door, liftgate or hood is open when a lock or double lock request is received, the anti-theft alarm system remains disarmed and the CJB generates a short mislock sound on the battery backed sounder or passive anti-theft horn and the turn signal indicators will not flash. Each attempt to lock will be confirmed by two audible chimes being emitted.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Oh, and it's only necessary to lock the car to exit 'convenience' mode and start powering down the modules - you don't need to double lock it. Once locked, it will power down within 5 minutes; leave it unlocked, and it will take half an hour.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
And that's the idea - without the deadlock and volumetric sensing, the thief can smash the window without triggering the alarm, open the door (alarm goes off), rifle through the car and leg it. With the deadlock and volumetric sensing, you don't get the easy access and the alarm goes off as soon as the glass breaks, and that limits how much time the thief can spend trying to get to stuff.

However, the volumetric sensing will trigger if you leave a window open or the top down, so it's not feasible to use the double-lock system to do what you want. I'm not sure you can even lock the car at all unless the top is up. From the workshop manual:
I'll have to check that when I get the car out again. I seem to recall but am not sure that when I had the top down and the windows up I did hit the lock button and I "thought" I heard it lock. I'll have to give it a try . Thanks

ralphwg (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think you're right that USA didn't get deadlocking (w/ ultrasonics as well) - often called double locking due to the double fob press. We must have worse thieves over here

Quick Reply: Why so Power Hungry?