Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Window in the Convertible top (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/window-convertible-top-97478/)

jimi727 05-20-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Johngflyer (Post 978364)
Hi, where in Florida did you have this done?
Thanks
John

It was in St. Petersburg , a small shop on Haines Road. I dont have the name offhand but can get it if you would like it
Jerry

bocatrip 05-20-2014 12:27 PM

Do all the verts have the identical flawed top or were they updated at some time?

richzak 05-20-2014 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 979197)
Do all the verts have the identical flawed top or were they updated at some time?

My 2009 has not had any problems. Could be that it is stored inside at all times when not driving it. Top looks like new. No reported window problems as of yet.

It would be nice to know what the percentage of Jaguar XK/XKR/XKR-S cars have reported this problem.

bocatrip 05-20-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by richzak (Post 979241)
My 2009 has not had any problems. Could be that it is stored inside at all times when not driving it. Top looks like new. No reported window problems as of yet.

It would be nice to know what the percentage of Jaguar XK/XKR/XKR-S cars have reported this problem.

Unfortunately, due to the small production numbers of our cars and much smaller forum membership and participation, it is hard to get a substantial amount of feedback on any particular issue.

amcdonal86 05-20-2014 10:37 PM

Most Jag owners are so old that they don't know how to use computers! I'm grateful we have any participation here at all! :D :D

j2times 06-30-2015 03:26 PM

Anyone know any repair shops in Miami area that do this type of repair? Thanks.

jagtoes 06-30-2015 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 979511)
Most Jag owners are so old that they don't know how to use computers! I'm grateful we have any participation here at all! :D :D

I resemble that ,hahaha. How old is old . Yep I remember my 1st computer at work back in 1982. Seemed like I got a new one every year until I retired in 2007. For information and parts searches the internet is great. :icon_lol:

LoudHogRider 07-02-2015 01:48 PM

As part of the "informal sampling" (and to reduce my own pucker factor which kicked in when I read this thread), I just checked out the window on my '08 convertible. I'm pleased to report it's (currently) tight as a drum. Phew!

richzak 07-03-2015 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One point on the window peeling away from the canvas top.

When I wash my 2009 XKR, I make sure that all water is removed from the lower window seem.

I use an Air Force Master Blaster to dry all my premium sports cars. The Air Force Master Blaster quickly removes water residue from all open areas that normal hand drying with a microfiber towel can not get. This is a great detailing tool to have. It blasts the water out of all seems around headlights, trunk seems, door jams, and the rear window on the Jag.

You need to make sure the lower rear window seem is dried well. This is the spot that most people see the window pulling away from the top.

Stuart S 07-03-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1258230)
I resemble that ,hahaha. How old is old. .... :icon_lol:

Me, too. A man is only as old as she feels.:icon_banana::icon_banana::icon_banana:

Stuart S 07-03-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by richzak (Post 1260195)
... I use an Air Force Master Blaster to dry all my premium sports cars. ...

No need for me to buy a specialized blower. I just use the Toro Ultra blower vac that I bought years ago for my yard. Adjustable speed, works great. Just follow up with a microfiber towel to finish the job.

Parzival 07-10-2015 03:29 AM

yes had the same.. the glue was completely dried and started crackling.. the top got fully loose on the outside.. I got it re-glued at once for about 70$ but that only lasted for three months..
Ultimately I completely renewed the roof (3000K+) including a new window

Jonnyy 08-07-2015 11:30 PM

Do you remember the name of company/ person that did this repair, as I live in NE Houston? Thanks, Jonnyy

bogeymanii 08-11-2015 01:29 PM

Guys, something to ponder: The Fabric Guard 303 is contained in a powerful solvent vehicle. soaking the seam of your rear window with this stuff is inviting trouble in the future!!

richzak 08-11-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bogeymanii (Post 1284903)
Guys, something to ponder: The Fabric Guard 303 is contained in a powerful solvent vehicle. soaking the seam of your rear window with this stuff is inviting trouble in the future!!

bogeymanii:

I totally disagree with your statement. I am also sure that you have no evidence to support your claim that 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard is the cause of the window separating from the canvas material of the Jaguar Convertibles. The 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard is NOT the problem with the rear window detaching itself from the canvas.

303 Aerospace Fabric Guard is a proven product. There is no need to soak the convertible top with this product or any other product to acheive the results that the product is made for. If any of these type products are applied correctly, then there are no problems.

Please advise what solvent is in the 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard that causes the separation.

dirtyodwyer 09-20-2015 01:04 PM

Rear window dropping fast

Since I first noticed the rear window of my '07 XK, it seems to be failing fast. The window is peeling away from the top little by little. I noticed that tops online sells a new top for $795. Gonna see how much it might cost for labor installing it. I'm definitely not gonna go to the *********** to check the price they have. Anyone in the LA area know a convertible top shop?

ralphwg 09-20-2015 01:59 PM

In the search box on this forum type in convertible top window and you will find several threads dealing with this issue. You may be able to find some guidance in on or more of the threads. Good luck

dirtyodwyer 10-04-2015 02:25 PM

Had the rear window glued back to the convertible top by a local shop. He told me he couldn't guarantee it would hold. So after he glued it and put the top down, it failed right away. I gave him $50 for the effort.

I found a top online for $795 and had a local shop in LA, Batz Auto Upholstery do the install. It was about $500 in labor. So all in all, had the job done for about $1,300, not horrible.

I realize the top probably failed because my car is exposed to the southern California sun on a constant basis. The Jaguar is not garage-kept. I imagine that would have allowed the top to last at least 5 to 10 more years I would imagine.

trianag 10-08-2015 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 773640)
There is a bulletin on repairing with special adhesive from jaguar that does work well. Is a several day repair and i dont know anyone that will touch it for the totally insanely low time given. It takes double the total repair time just to clean and prep not including taping so no adhesive goes onto material. We sublet to a glass guy that does a really good job reglueing and sealing so it has the same look around the glass. Something you wont get from the jaguar recommended repair. He charges $300

I live in Austin and could take my XK to Houston to fix the convertible top window. Who does the work?

richzak 10-08-2015 07:09 PM

Another problem with the top is water can easily accumulate when getting rained upon or washing in the crack between the window plate and the fabric. You should make sure that when washing you dry out all water on the outside lower portion of the top were the fabric molds with the glass.

It is very easy for water to loosen any of the adhesive used over a period of time.

I have not had any related convertible top issues but can clearly see from washing the top, this could happen quite easily.