Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wrap addiction. This time the bonnet vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts
Default Wrap addiction. This time the bonnet vents

I have to confess to a serious case of wrap addiction. Having found that it is pretty much the one thing that my meagre skillset can actually achieve, I'll wrap just about anything. So I had leftover black carbonfibre wrap from my last assault on the interior, which I have been itching to put to good use. My wife suggested that she might come home to find that I had wrapped my old feller. She was only half joking.

But anyway my thoughts have wandered to getting carbon fibre bonnet vents. Strangely enough I hated them on the astons when they came out, but now I like them. But I dont like the price - it looks like something in the order of $900. For something with absolutely no purpose save cosmetic. It even occurred to me that they are probably heavier than the plastic stock vents. So I've done the next best thing - wrapped the existing. Now it is actually pretty hard which is why I'm posting, if anyone else wants to try. It is hard because you cant really do it in one piece, because the wrap wont stretch deep enough with the contours of the vent, it eventually tears or lifts.

So I did it in two pieces, first a piece that did everything up to the top "bar" (effectively above where the "supercharged" is) and with that you can essentially make it fit the depth contours that you couldnt otherwise if it was done in one piece. Second, I did the top bar, trying to match the lines of the cf as best I could. Ultimately I couldnt because the lines will never match given the bottom piece is distorted a little from fitting in the third dimension, bit I satisfied myself with the bottom one marrying up and the top not. By the way, gettiing the vents out is very easy. They have clips which you can press with a flat screwdriver, and it essentially pops out.

So here it is. I love it. Others might cringe, but horses for courses and I've never been a subtle person. I even like that the "supercharged" stayed silver (it would be hard to wrap with the writing). My wrapping desire is satisfied. My old feller is safe, for the time being.

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-029.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-030.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
jbretthorton (05-28-2018), Wm. Lyon (12-20-2022)
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks good. Now you just need to do the side vents and mirror caps

Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it looks good... I was going to ask if you had considered doing the mirrors to match. The black accents look good, just a little... lonely.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

If you have developed the art of "wrapping", I bet you could easily learn the art of "Hydrographic Coating or Hydrographic Printing". Your world of customization would go wild.

Here's my engine cover completed in a "Hydrographic Coating". Check it out.

Here's the link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2l-xkr-112687/

This is process where you can DIY for smaller applications. Supplies are available.

This process is very popular in Australia:

HYDRO CONCEPTS AUSTALIA, HYDROGRAPHICS AUSTRALIAN Supplier, Water Transfer Printing, Hydrographics Film, Water Transfer Printing Dipkit, Hydrographics Victoria, Hydrographics Melbourne, Hydrographics South Australia, Hydrographics Adelaide, Brisbane

Your new world awaits.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

While I'm not a great fan of the carbon fibre look, I think the vents look fantastic, just a little touch to make them more visible (and less stark than black). Can one do just little touches like that without becoming addicted? I might have to try it on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks! The hydrographic coat looks awesome. I dont think that I will be trying the mirrors any time soon because of the shape. The side vents are a chance, but what I am thinking about is doing the boot (trunk) finisher - the silver bit over the rear license plate. I might have to fill in the "jaguar" with some sort of putty but it would be pretty achievable. Then I could buy the cf leaper and pop it on above it.

tberg, I think our cars are twins!

Actually one thing that I will add as a tip for anyone doing this is to make sure that the lines on the cf are going the right way when you wrap. Now that sounds simple, but it is easy to stuff up. On my first attempt (which is actually the photo of the whole bonnet) I got it wrong and had the lines of both vents going the same way, whereas I wanted the lines of the left vent going away to the left and the right vent going away to the right. It essentially took 3 attempts to work out the "2 piece" system. Luckily I am much more patient in my middle years.

Update - just tried the boot finisher, but took it back off. It is "too much" against the silver car, even for my tastes. Probably look OK with a darker coloured car, maybe red or black.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 06-21-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: the wrappathon continues
Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member

Side power vents done, I think that's it for my wrapping. Looks good in the metal, the pics are pretty ordinary though. Very easy job compared to the bonnet vents.

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-014.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-013.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Looks good Bruce and individual. I would stick at that also.

Enjoy!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Looks great and certainly the contrast in the dark and silver really adds a dimension to the side body panels and the hood vents do the same. Good job!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Good job, I know they look good as I have them on mine, Supplied by Mina Gallery,

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dsc03139.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dsc03151.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dsc03438.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dsc03452.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!. The Minagallery parts look great! It crossed my mind to order the bonnet vents from them. Is the front spoiler part a wrap or a part?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Thanks!. The Minagallery parts look great! It crossed my mind to order the bonnet vents from them. Is the front spoiler part a wrap or a part?
No, the front grill and centre lip are painted with black Plasti-Dip for chance I did not like it I could peel it off. Im waiting for Chris at Mina He is developing a C/F defuser for the front of the 150 similar to the new Xkr.s They already have one for the rear, they are my next project when it is available. Bernie

Last edited by sherbercars; 06-29-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (06-29-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

not to flog a dead horse, but I finally got a decent picture. I would have taken more, but I was standing in the middle of the road and felt like a bit of a ***.

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-002.png  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Really great looking ride for a coupe!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Bruce,
Your 2011 is gorgeous and looks identical to the 2010 I just picked up. Next week, I am having the Mina RS side rocker skirts, the front 3 piece splitter, and the Mina exhaust installed as well as the rear bumper/diffuser from F/X design. In addition, the badly scarred 20" Kalimnos will be refinished and shod with new tires, possibly new drilled rotors and pads. This weekend, I will take "before" photos, and in a couple of weeks when I get the new and improved car back, I will take after photos.

Attached Thumbnails Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg   Wrap addiction.  This time the bonnet vents-dscf1191-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks gents! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of yours, tberg. I would have to say that after having taken probably 40 pics of the car since I've had it, this is the first one that I think comes close to showing how pretty it is. I've got the centre X pipe in mine (sounds awesome) and I wrapped the walnut in the interior, but that's about it for mods. New rear tyres due soonish, but $1300 each over here...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks Great!!

Old 05-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I have to confess to a serious case of wrap addiction. Having found that it is pretty much the one thing that my meagre skillset can actually achieve, I'll wrap just about anything. So I had leftover black carbonfibre wrap from my last assault on the interior, which I have been itching to put to good use. My wife suggested that she might come home to find that I had wrapped my old feller. She was only half joking.

But anyway my thoughts have wandered to getting carbon fibre bonnet vents. Strangely enough I hated them on the astons when they came out, but now I like them. But I dont like the price - it looks like something in the order of $900. For something with absolutely no purpose save cosmetic. It even occurred to me that they are probably heavier than the plastic stock vents. So I've done the next best thing - wrapped the existing. Now it is actually pretty hard which is why I'm posting, if anyone else wants to try. It is hard because you cant really do it in one piece, because the wrap wont stretch deep enough with the contours of the vent, it eventually tears or lifts.

So I did it in two pieces, first a piece that did everything up to the top "bar" (effectively above where the "supercharged" is) and with that you can essentially make it fit the depth contours that you couldnt otherwise if it was done in one piece. Second, I did the top bar, trying to match the lines of the cf as best I could. Ultimately I couldnt because the lines will never match given the bottom piece is distorted a little from fitting in the third dimension, bit I satisfied myself with the bottom one marrying up and the top not. By the way, gettiing the vents out is very easy. They have clips which you can press with a flat screwdriver, and it essentially pops out.

So here it is. I love it. Others might cringe, but horses for courses and I've never been a subtle person. I even like that the "supercharged" stayed silver (it would be hard to wrap with the writing). My wrapping desire is satisfied. My old feller is safe, for the time being.

do the vents just stick on the bonnet.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi. The OEM pieces clip in with several metal clips. The Mina carbon fibre ones that I ended up going with stick on with double sided tape. I have read other threads where they detached, I didnt have a problem with mine.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Use 3M Adhesion Primer 94

The key to a strong bond using 3M double-sided automotive tape is to wipe both surfaces with 3M Primer 94.

You do this after you have thoroughly prepped both surfaces to remove all wax and grease. Align the tape very carefully to the first surface (the small part) because it will stick firmly as soon as it touches that part and will be very difficult to reposition. Remove the paper to expose the adhesive and carefully position that part exactly where you want it and press down firmly. Applied properly, It won't fly off.