XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The X150 as a future Classic and/or Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Some people also won the lottery by buying a ticket. That doesn't mean that YOUR car will be selling for $100K anytime soon. Unless Donald start printing money.
Its far more complicated than that.
You have to be able to see what the average dummy cant.
Many times an entire generation wont get something and the subsequent generation will.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't think anyone can predict future collectibility anymore than they can the stock market. There will always be "blue chips" out there such as Ferrari, Porsche, and Corvette that will do nicely. But picking up Amazon, Apple, Walmart, Jaguar E Type, Plymouth Superbird, 356 Porsche, or an AMC 401 Gremlin at the right time is hard to forecast. I will stick with the stocks for investments. They take up less space and I won't have to worry about the ugliness from a Gremlin wearing off onto my other cars.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Many factors determine whether something will become collectible. In the art world, unique visual and emotional impact of the subject matter and the evolution of the artist's style and medium are significant factors in determining collectablity. I believe that the Jaguar E-Type was the first automobile displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Of course, there were many fabulous car designs long before then that have become collectible. But MOMA put the XKE on a pedestal and it's DNA is clearly recognizable in the X150. That's a + in the"future collectable? " column. Only time will tell if it can overcome the technical barriers discussed above and increase in value.

Whether it becomes collectible is irrelevant to me because it's gorgeous inside and out and still great fun drive. And it's cheaper than a psychiatrist!

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Chances of mine becoming collectible are slim because I intend to drive it until it drops.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I can't seem to hold onto a car for more the three years. Too many cars I'd like to own once at least.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

[QUOTE=Stuart S;1756109]Many factors determine whether something will become collectible. In the art world, unique visual and emotional impact of the subject matter and the evolution of the artist's style and medium are significant factors in determining collectablity. I believe that the Jaguar E-Type was the first automobile displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Of course, there were many fabulous car designs long before then that have become collectible. But MOMA put the XKE on a pedestal and it's DNA is clearly recognizable in the X150. That's a + in the"future collectable? " column. Only time will tell if it can overcome the technical barriers discussed above and increase in value.

I've been watching the XKE market as my wife's aunt has her deceased son's 1967 XKE convert as a garage queen. At the present time series 1 E type converts are anywhere from $100-$200K . If you find a 61 flat floor you are above the $250K mark. Series 2 , 3 and V12's are around $100K and the coupes both 2 seat and 2+2 are in the $50-$75K range. I assume the market will continue to increase value as we go out another 10-20 years but if I look at the X150 world I doubt if it will improve until after 25 years from the last model year . Time will tell but I won't be here to see the growth. So drive em if you got em.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=jagtoes;1756127]
Originally Posted by Stuart S
... At the present time series 1 E type converts are anywhere from $100-$200K . If you find a 61 flat floor you are above the $250K mark. Series 2 , 3 and V12's are around $100K and the coupes both 2 seat and 2+2 are in the $50-$75K range.
Not too long ago about the only way you could actually sell an E Type was if you put a small block V8 in it first.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

A massive market has developed in the past few years of investing incars, because its so easy and the risk is non-existent. People are buying cars that they never see or drive, goes into storage and the value quadruples.

But the bigger bonus is that they get an admission to the best parties around the world.

Its become such a large industry that secondary industries have evolved; such as luxury garages where they drive your car once a week and park it.

The McLaren is a great example of how a subsequent generation appreciates a car far more. deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

The thing that makes the 5.0XKR a car that will most certainly keep up with inflation- i.e you can get your money back and more. This has already happened with many lesser cars like the supra (also considered a dog when it came out) is that most people I know, even guys who own the 4,2 are unaware of how much more power the XKR is in totality. Or even how reliable. Its an entry level supercar. When more realize both of that, which will only be when Jaguar reestablishes itself with more cars for the youth- it will command the prices it is selling for now. So you will essentially drive it for free for a decade or so.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
A massive market has developed in the past few years of investing incars, because its so easy and the risk is non-existent. People are buying cars that they never see or drive, goes into storage and the value quadruples.
People were also buying beanie babies with similar rationale.

Cars are very risky investment. Boomers going to age out of driving and start dying off. Who do you think going to buy all these cars? Certainly not millennials.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

People were also buying beanie babies with similar rationale.

Cars are very risky investment. Boomers going to age out of driving and start dying off. Who do you think going to buy all these cars? Certainly not millennials.
Fortune favor the bold.
It would be unfair if everyone won.

Cars are one the safest investment- if they werent the values would never rise.
What you are saying is exactly the mentality that allows the bold to prosper.
You wont find one investment grade car that lost money, unlike gold.

Who will buy these cars? There are new countries and generations coming 'of age' all the time. Rolls Royce and Ferrari would never have dreamt in a month of sunday's that China would become their largest market.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM

The thing that makes the 5.0XKR a car that will most certainly keep up with inflation- i.e you can get your money back and more. This has already happened with many lesser cars like the supra (also considered a dog when it came out) is that most people I know, even guys who own the 4,2 are unaware of how much more power the XKR is in totality. Or even how reliable. Its an entry level supercar. When more realize both of that, which will only be when Jaguar reestablishes itself with more cars for the youth- it will command the prices it is selling for now. So you will essentially drive it for free for a decade or so.
There is more to it than that. V12 XJSs aren't worth crap. Especially the coupes. They are old enough to be classics. They have great lines, the cache of a V12, and nice road manners. A REALLY nice one is worth about 25% of what it sold for new. A 1982 Corvette of the same era sold new for about half what the XJS did. Today that same Vette with its crappy 200 HP engine and automatic transmission is worth 50% more than it cost new and twice what the XJS will bring. Compare any Jag from the '60s or later, except maybe the E Type, to Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, Mustang, Avanti, Challenger, or even Delorean and you will find similar dismal valuations. Even the more rare Jags, like the XKR100, aren't worth nearly what they cost new. I don't see any reason why the world is going to change their opinion of Jaguars in the future.

If you are buying a car to make money in the future, buy a Vette. They ALL appreciate. Even the really crappy ones. If you are buying a car because you like it and want to drive it, buy whatever you want!

SinF (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

This is demonstrably untrue. Unsafe investments also appreciate, often more than safe investments. This is called speculation. It is, on the balance, or over sufficiently long period of time that safe investments outperform. More importantly, unsafe investment tend to go off the cliff when speculation inevitably goes bust.

This is true Scotsman fallacy. We don't know in advance what is investment grade car would be, and one that you lost money on isn't one.

Who will buy these cars? There are new countries and generations coming 'of age' all the time. Rolls Royce and Ferrari would never have dreamt in a month of sunday's that China would become their largest market.
China is a good possibility, as they don't have long-term stability and historical prosperity to have own classic market. As such, old Buick might be a good investment. Different car brands are popular in China.

davchr (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davchr
If you are buying a car to make money in the future, buy a Vette. They ALL appreciate. Even the really crappy ones. If you are buying a car because you like it and want to drive it, buy whatever you want!
Until they don't appreciate. I expect Vette appreciation is closely tied to fortunes of Baby Boomer generation. They all want to be James Dean.

davchr (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM

What you are saying is exactly the mentality that allows the bold to prosper.
Those are crazy statements.

Just because values rise does NOT in any way make it a safe investment. Look at oil, real estate in 2006, and Gateway Computer stock.

What is your idea of an "investment grade car" that won't lose money?
- One off Ferrari's from the '50s. Sure.
- Ferrari 250 GTO. Absolutely
- Ferrari 288 GTO. Sure
- Ferrari 599 GTO. TBD
- L88 Corvette. Sure.
- 426 Hemi Challenger convertible. Sure.
- XJ220 Jaguar. Sorry. Your $850K investment in 1992 might be worth $300K today.

Why would you think a production car, like the XKR, made in tens of thousands would do better than a rare true supercar such as the XJ220?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Until they don't appreciate. I expect Vette appreciation is closely tied to fortunes of Baby Boomer generation. They all want to be James Dean.
You may very well be right. If I was buying a car, or stock, or artwork, or anything else, as an investment I would look at its historical appreciation first. I would stay away from anything that has typically lost money over the past 50 years or so and try for something that has seen a consistent rise. I am not trying to find the next 21 window VW bus. I doubt the any of today's Jags will hit that mark or even that of the Corvettes. (I don't buy cars as investments)

But I like owning and driving Jags. I need a car and they are nice cars. I have no expectation of making money on them. My E Types have been nice surprises.

Last edited by davchr; 09-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

I would still posit that the generation that will be alive and that will have money to spend on collectible cars in 30 or 40 years will have little nostalgia for the XK or any gas-powered car for that matter. Hell, by then they might not even be allowed to drive one if they did.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

About six years ago I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Countach, had it narrowed down to either a 1984 or a 1989, both under 10,000 miles for $100,000. I sure wish I would have, those exact cars now sell for $400,000 each.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
About six years ago I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Countach, had it narrowed down to either a 1984 or a 1989, both under 10,000 miles for $100,000. I sure wish I would have, those exact cars now sell for $400,000 each.
1980, fresh out of college, working first job, living paycheck to paycheck.
Driving along the highway one day, I spot my 'dream car' a 1970 Superbird, sitting in a driveway with a $5000 'for sale' sign on it. Way beyond my reach at that time, the car I was driving was worth less than $1000.
Fast forward almost 40 years now, with a good career, and those damn Superbirds ($300,000+) are still beyond my reach!

Cee Jay (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I thin any year cars is valuable to those who lusted after it during school age. I was very big into the early 90's 5.0 scene and watched their value go up and then plummet as the newer 5.0's came out which did everything the old ones did, just better and more elegantly. I don't know if something similar will happen to the X150's. I think they'll still be relevant 20 years out. Beyond that who knows.

Quick Reply: The X150 as a future Classic and/or Collectible?