XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK '06 (x150) wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question XK '06 (x150) wierd noise

Hey guys,

I have a XK '06 and reacently hear a wierd noise when staring to move from still posotion. When I press down the gas pedal and just before car start moving forward you can here a wired "crackling" noise from the outside (it is not noticeable when sitting inside with widows shut).
Noise is like a tin can being squashed or something like that. hard to describe it. :/

Alos noticed it is more intense when the car is warmed up, and it is non existent when you start the car in the morning...

anyone had anything similar? o.o

ps. My car has 26000km on it. most of the time has being garaged, hardly ever seen rain and done regular 1year service intervals ever since it hit the road, so you can say I'm taking a rather good care of it.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi There. Do you think it could be the rear hand brakes just taking a little time to disengage? As you move forward they are momentarily on then suddenly switching off. Making that sound?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by muncher
Hi There. Do you think it could be the rear hand brakes just taking a little time to disengage? As you move forward they are momentarily on then suddenly switching off. Making that sound?
um, dont think so. it is more intense if I press more gas. intensity kind of depends on the amount of revs at that moment. sound like pulling a metal fork over a bard wire. the sound is the same, just faster or slower depending on revs.

also it is every time i stop and start moving again when the engine is warmed up, even sometimes when I'm moving like 40km/h, no gas, and hit the gas just a bit to maintain the velvety, i can still her it with my widows opend if passing near a building or thru a gallery.
the sound is there just for a second or so when I start moving and then disapiers until the next time i relise gas and hit it again or stop and start moving again.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Sounds like drive train...possibly a joint on drive shaft?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
Sounds like drive train...possibly a joint on drive shaft?
hm, could be. come to think of it, it sound as if it is coming from underneath the car, around the gearbox...
Will check it in the morning to be sure.

Newbie question... how serious of a problem is it?
Should I be driving the car at all or tow it to the workshop x_x or is it just something that makes annoying sound that can be fixed on the next regular checkup?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Given that the sound increases in tone with the speed/revs of the engine and travel, and you can hear it, it may be something exposed in the drive train. Given that you can't hear it with the windows up, the sound doesn't appear to be transmitted through the metal work of the car, suggesting further that it is not "inside" something such as the tranny. That's a guess obviously, but it seems logical.

Also, given that the sound dissipates when coasting, this would suggest that force being applied to the drive train is subdued, as opposed to when you apply power and the increase in force causes the sound to return, and the sound again is affected by the speed.

If it is inside the tranny this sounds like it could be a serious problem, which will probably only get worse over time.

What you might hope for is a loose piece/or out of place piece of metal that is touching (maybe) the drive shaft as it shifts slightly from the drive train moving the small amount it does when power is applied. Or maybe a piece of something touching the inside of a wheel.

Given the expensive nature of repairing these cars I'd get it checked out sooner than later. Also you want to be safe when driving the car. Obviously we don't know if the safety of driving it is being adversely affected, but erring on the side of caution doesn't hurt.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Could be the calipers clicking, my car did this once in a while and it's normal.

Last edited by RJC; 05-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Can be a little piece of a stone blocked betweed the brake disc and the back plate. Suspend the car and turn each wheel, checking when it makes the noise.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM

UPDATE:

so, finally, I found some time to visit the shop. We tried driving it around and noticed that the noise is more evident when starting to move up hill.
He immediately told me that it the timing of the injectors vs piston coming up the cylinder that produces that sound. according to him, it happens when one is giving to little throttle at a higher gear so basically petrol combustion b4 the piston reaches his 0 point, thus making the piston move only way it could in those conditions (left and right touching the engine block and making that klingy noise).

I tired adding throttle slower and noise is not there. Same goes if I hit it rly hard.

kinda annoying tbh. what do you guys think.. is this a legit explanation?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

UPDATE:

The noise is still there. Maybe a bit less since the last annual service.
It seems it does not affect anything...gas consumption, oil level, gear shifting... nada.

PS. Car has around 46k KM on it now. I really dont drive it that much tbh.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Is it your exhaust? Pistons... not likely as you have put on over 20,000k since first reported. I had the inside of a catalytic converter go bad on a 2000 V-10 Dodge pick up and it sounded as you described.