XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK buying advice grateful

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK buying advice grateful

Hi
I am thinking of buying this 2009 xk. Do you think I should?

Also does anyone have a view on how soon the brake pads and tyres will need replacing (see pics)?

Any advice would be much appreciated as the xk150 is a new beast for me (I had an xk8 Xk100 model which I understood well)

Dan

Old 04-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Pics? WHAT pics?

The following users liked this post:
dandemilew (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Old 04-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Tires seem OK as long as they aren't too old. The manufacture date should be stamped somewhere on the sidewalls.
Can't really see any brake pads, but the rotors seem to be well used and will probably need replacement fairly soon. That said, always get new pads when changing rotors. Brake parts really aren't much more expensive on these cars than any other car, so it's really no bid deal breaker anyway.

dandemilew (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Dubai? I don't see a huge issue with the tires or brakes. Invoice looks like a generic service writer's hope for a big payday. Brakes should have been measured, rotor and pad thickness. The minimum spec should be included. Can't tell that from the pics. They look OK, no deep gouges or uneven wear.

Cracked boots are an expensive issue to remedy that will allow grit to get into the joints and wear them excessively quick. I have a couple that are cracked on the sway bar links of mine but the ball joints look good so I'm not overly concerned. I can see Dubai heat and sand being an issue.

What was the purpose of the visit? How do they do inspections there?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Yep, I would take care of the boots. I'd also take it to another shop that provides data on the wear of the rotors and pads. The rotors look scored, but certainly can't tell from a pic how bad or if they're out of spec. Are they warped? Need better pics of the pads.

Also noted is they only use Genuine Jaguar parts. You don't need genuine Jaguar pads and rotors (or boots). There are plenty of aftermarket options at far lower prices than Jaguar.

dandemilew (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

The tires look fine, for the rotors (discs) they need to be measured for thickness. The pictures will not tell if they are below the recommended wear factor, typically 2mm below factory new width. Any shop could measure the thickness with a caliper in a couple of minutes. Even if you feel a lip on the edge that is normal and not an indication of wear beyond tolerance.

dandemilew (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

What is the obsession with the brakes and tires? There is certainly more life to both and relatively inexpensive to replace or repair. How is the rest of the car? How is the paint, the body, the interior, the dash? It would seem these are more pertinent issues.

ralphwg (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

The inner and out Rotor Ridges look to be fairly substantial, refer to the red arrows...

Old 04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The only way to determine is to measure the rotors and pads for the depth. Use a caliper tool in MM's.

There are specs that will tell you when the rotors need to be turned or replaced, same with the brake pads. I certainly prefer new rotors. Any good auto parts store or brake shop can supply you with the minimum thickness allowed on your rotors and pads.

The pictures you provided don't help to make a determination of the thickness of the rotors or pads, (Brake pads are not visible with your images provided).

dandemilew (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Rotors look pretty worn for sure. I would replace them. Like others have said, they are not expensive. Tires look ok though.

Cee Jay (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
Rotors look pretty worn for sure. I would replace them. Like others have said, they are not expensive. Tires look ok though.
Very weak answer my man. Let's reserve this judgement to a real analysis with a caliper.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

hey!.. another Dubai driver!.. which one are you looking at?

for the tires.. dont look at the mm left.. look at the production dates. if they are too old, they will be dry and full of broken rubber. Anything beyond 3 years needs to be replaced to be safe (for the non-Dubai people.. temperatures go over 120F in summer.. and tires dry out really fast!) In the rest of the world the mm depth is the thing to go by.. here if you buy a "brand new" set from 2013.. they ARE old and you WILL NOT pass the inspection.

You can get a full inspection of the car done at Al Tayer.. I would do that either way.. they take the car for about two days and they will run all over it. They will give you a full report and you can take that to the seller.. If the seller is a company garage/dealer, they usually fix the problematic items on the list for you.. (at least thats what Deals on Wheels did for me.. as well as SunCity Motors).

There is also a blue (convertible) one for sale at SunCity (http://tnydu.biz/DOuDnM), but I do not like the color that much.. its been for sale for quite some time, so you should be able to reduce the price a bit.. also, there is a nice Dark Grey one for sale (wooden interior) from '07 on dubizzle (http://tnydu.biz/DOu02T).. or the '13 version (but might be out of your budget: http://tnydu.biz/DOu1xW)

Note that anything after '10 XK in Dubai is by default the non-full-options version (check the steering wheel for 3 versus 4 buttons). The non-full options does not have the full seat thingy (13 way blabla), but only 9 way or something. The stereo is 'standard' versus premium, and you dont have a heated windscreen (yeah.. not sure why you'd need that here..) and they have 19" or even 18" wheels. Unless someone ordered a specific version those are the standards from '10 onwards. Only the XKR's where still ordered full options with 20" wheels. In case you wish to put in the iPod connector (on the '07 models) please be aware that Al Tayer will not install it for you.. and reprogramming the onboard computer comes at a whooping 600aed.

For the people that state its all not that expensive.. remember that this is Dubai.. everything is expensive.. certainly the parts for an exotic car like this one.. Just ask what the complete breakset costs with Al Tayer.. if you want.. send me a PM and I have an alternate garage for you in Al Quoz that serviced my '07 XK..

but.. all in all.. I drove my '07 for 3 years in Dubai.. and I absolutely loved it.. in the winter when temps are superb.. there is nothing more satisfying then driving to Fujairah or over Sh Zayed with the roof down and the heated seats on.. I guarantee you.. it will be (a bit) expensive.. but totally worth it!.. and thats why I (upon my return to Dubai), bought a '13 white XK..

Last edited by Parzival; 04-03-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:10 PM

I went to have a look at a potential buy. All seemed OK and had FSH. Also running a 240pt check on it as part of buying.

I think I might take the risk....although all seems good I guess there is always a degree of risk with an 8yo car. Only 60k on the clock though so hoping this is a goodun

Old 04-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Hi thanks! Looking a the black convertible. Would love to get your al quoz link and will def take that tip for a road trip if i do get it. Maybe do a rd trip to the bottle shop (let me know if you want to come in convoy...)
Dan

Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dandemilew
I went to have a look at a potential buy. All seemed OK and had FSH. Also running a 240pt check on it as part of buying.

I think I might take the risk....although all seems good I guess there is always a degree of risk with an 8yo car. Only 60k on the clock though so hoping this is a goodun
My first one was the '07 model.. it was for sale in 2013 when I bought it with 9000km only.. it was a gamble.. it did cost some hard earned $$'s..and there were the unintended expenses (left front light @10k AED, some other stuff at 8k-9k each..) but .. I'm really sorry I have to sell it now .. (its in Netherlands).. as I do not drive it anymore.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The 2007 XK looks pretty good if you can buy it for 49,500 AED.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
The 2007 XK looks pretty good if you can buy it for 49,500 AED.
Its been on there quite some time.. and I've been monitoring the site for quite some time too.. XK's do not sell very fast here.. I'm sure he can offer 40k and get it at 45k

Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks all for the advice.

I got the inspection report back....they said:
The car is accident free and has original paint
The general condition of the car is very good for the age and kms
Bonnet shocks weak
Engine mounts weak
Front and rear both sides upper and lower arms weak
Rear both side lower arms weak
rear both side balancing require will require changing soon

Anything in there that I should be worried about?

Dan

Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I think that I would try to get the seller to make the necessary repairs. Regarding anything that you should be worried about. I would push the seller on these items:

Engine mounts weak
Front and rear both sides upper and lower arms weak
Rear both side lower arms weak
rear both side balancing require will require changing soon

Good luck

Sean W (04-08-2017)