XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Jacking Procedure/Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XK Jacking Procedure/Tips

I want to bleed the brake fluid and change my brake pads, after consulting the owners manual I see the XK has the same four specific jacking points as my Corvette Z06. When I changed my brake pads/fluid on my Z I used two low profile hydrulic bottle jacks to lift the front end off the ground.

Can I use the same equipment/technique on the XK?

Thanks

Tom

Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Tom

I went to the garage to look at the car. Was surprised to see that they are using a plastic under-belly cover for the whole engine bay. So, no other options than to use the factory raise points by the side sills.

If you run your fingers through the sill, you will find the indented arrows that the factory instruction manual refers to. There should be no problem with using your hydraulic lifters. I would, generally, use something flat, like a 2x4 or a piece of flat metal bar to better distribute the lifting forces over the structure.

Looks like when raising the rear, there is a solid metallic brace you place your lift under. Up front, where most of the weight is, the place seems to be about 2" inward from the indented mark, appears to be an aluminum structural pieces that would be best to support the weight. Always be careful with the initial lift, raise it very slowly and if you hear or sense structure flex or signs of denting something, back off.

Have fun with the project, I'll be soon behind you with my brake bleeding project. What kind of brake fluid did you get?

Albert

The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (08-26-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM

I'm partial to ATE SuperBlue that I buy from TireRack
ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid

Most of my Corvette buddies I track with also use the same fluid, has never failed in heavy track duty and the price is right.

I'm still looking for brake pads, I'd like to go with a ceramic but I can't find any for the XK - odd??? Any suggestions?

Tom

Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by TomServo
I'm partial to ATE SuperBlue that I buy from TireRack
ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid

I'm still looking for brake pads, I'd like to go with a ceramic but I can't find any for the XK - odd??? Any suggestions?

Tom
Thanks for the brake fluid recommendations. No, I don't really have a pad recommendation right now, as I have brand new dealer installed ones so, have no worries for a while. BTW-I just put ceramic/carbon pads on my minivan that I use for steep hill driving with loads of people and kayaks.

Just be careful with racing pads. Some of those need to come up to rather high temperatures before they start working. Just like those "R-compound" street-racing tires. On streets you will never be able to achieve those temperatures. I once installed a set on one of my street cars and the braking power was neck-snapping and, my rotors lasted a total of 1500 street miles. In the dark you could see sparks flying off the rotors while breaking as the two surfaces were grinding each other :-)

So, for regular or even moderately quick street driving I would not be looking for anything very special or expensive.

Albert

Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Albert, I agree. The Jag is really my wife's car, I own a Z06 so the Z get's all the heavy duty racing stuff and the Jag will get the "street cruiser" stuff.

The OEM pads make a ton of dust which is why I'd like to find some ceramics.

But the SuperBlue DOT4 Racing Fluid is just over kill on the Jag.

Tom

Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Doing air filter.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I like EBC Redstuff. I had them on my 02 XKR, and have them on my wife's VDP. I have no issue with brake dust - they aren't zero but I don't have to clean them that often. Some claim they put out more dust, but I've used them now for over 4 years with those two cars and have not had the issue with lots of dust. They also stop really well.

I plan on putting them on my 07 XKR when I need new brake pads.