XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Remote Top demo video !

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Does the car have to be re-programmed in any way once the battery is disconnected and re-connected?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

If I have my XK converted to right hand drive, will I get my order sooner?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Does the car have to be re-programmed in any way once the battery is disconnected and re-connected?
These are the steps to complete after the battery is reconnected and the testing is complete:

--Start the engine. Because the battery was disconnected, the message 'APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE' will be displayed when the ignition is first switched on. Depress the foot brake and apply the parking brake by pulling it upwards. This is required to reset the parking brake system after the battery disconnection. The parking brake should now function correctly.

--Reset the windows and anti-trap protection as follows:
Ensure that the doors are closed and, and the convertible roof is closed. Fully close the driver's window, then release the switch. Again pull the switch to close the window and just hold for two seconds. Open the driver's window fully and release the switch. Again press the switch to open the window and just hold for two seconds. Fully close the passenger's window, then release the switch. Again pull the switch to close the window and just hold for two seconds. Open the passenger's window fully and release the switch. Again press the switch to open the window and just hold for two seconds.

-Reset the clock to the correct time.

-Reset the seat memory positions (driver and passenger seats) if seat memory had been previously set.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-17-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
If I have my XK converted to right hand drive, will I get my order sooner?
LOL! Yes, and at a great discount. I am still looking for two Right Hand Drive Beta test volunteers.

I already have some great LHD Beta testers!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Remote top installation on xk 150

I have just installed Steves ( Jag wrangler ) new remote top on my 08 XKR convertible. WOW. This is incredible and so easy to install. It is Quite the experience to stand back press a couple of buttons on the remote and watch it go thru. its procedure, its like watching a transformer on the movies. The top goes up /down the windows go up/down and the doors lock, the alarm activates and the side mirrows swing back, all this from the remote or the door lock, plus the one touch conv button on the Inside. I also installed the rear side window option this is a MUST. Imho.

As far as the installation. It is very simple If you can take the rear seat out you can wire it without any experience of wiring, you just have to take your time read the explicet instructions very carefully and you can't go wrong,

I received mine last thur lunch and in less than two hrs I was working the top with the remote ,I have not put the rear parts back as yet as i want to operate it a few times over the next week ,but no problems as yet. the only thing at first I found was you have to cycle it two or three times, to let the module learn the sequence.

This is the best mod that a person could put on a convertible.
STEVE YOU ARE A GENIUS . THANK YOU. and for all the many hrs and thought that have gone into this amazing project. We are so lucky to have members like yourself on this foram..Bernie

Mods. coud you tag this onto Steves video post. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars
.......... Mods. could you tag this onto Steves video post. Thanks.
Bernie,

I've moved your post to the end of Steve's video thread as requested.

Graham

Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
I have just installed Steves ( Jag wrangler ) new remote top on my 08 XKR convertible. WOW. This is incredible and so easy to install. It is Quite the experience to stand back press a couple of buttons on the remote and watch it go thru. its procedure, its like watching a transformer on the movies. The top goes up /down the windows go up/down and the doors lock, the alarm activates and the side mirrows swing back, all this from the remote or the door lock, plus the one touch conv button on the Inside. I also installed the rear side window option this is a MUST. Imho.

As far as the installation. It is very simple If you can take the rear seat out you can wire it without any experience of wiring, you just have to take your time read the explicet instructions very carefully and you can't go wrong,

I received mine last thur lunch and in less than two hrs I was working the top with the remote ,I have not put the rear parts back as yet as i want to operate it a few times over the next week ,but no problems as yet. the only thing at first I found was you have to cycle it two or three times, to let the module learn the sequence.

This is the best mod that a person could put on a convertible.
STEVE YOU ARE A GENIUS . THANK YOU. and for all the many hrs and thought that have gone into this amazing project. We are so lucky to have members like yourself on this foram..Bernie

Mods. coud you tag this onto Steves video post. Thanks.
Bernie:

Was this the BETA TEST module or the full blown production model that will be sold to us other XK/XKR owners.

Did you have to remove the roll bar box?

Thanks for the update as it relieves a few concerns about DIY installation.

I am looking forward to getting this device.

WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Bernie:

Was this the BETA TEST module or the full blown production model that will be sold to us other XK/XKR owners.

Did you have to remove the roll bar box?

Thanks for the update as it relieves a few concerns about DIY installation.

I am looking forward to getting this device.
Yes this was the beta , but as far as I know it is the same as the production model perhaps Steve could answer this ?.yes you have to remove the roll bar box , the top control box where you make the connections is behind .Removing the box is no big deal ,there are only 4 Tork bolts holding it on ,how I did it was to disconnect it first, you can always disconnect the battery first and then unplug the box, but you will have to re connect the batt to do the preliminary tests ,I did it the other way I found it easer to remove everything with the top down its quite cramped. then put the top up to work on the wiring, as for the hoop box remove the 4 bolts only, there are 2 small tork bolts 1 each side of the box ,don't remove them, lift off the 2 positioning studs and keep upright and store in this position as Steve mentions. treat it with respect, then the easy part comes, just follow the instructions ,you will need a magnifier glass and CHECK, CHECK, and CHECK again, the wire colors and positions , the connection pins supplied are very easy to use I have never used them before, much better than the flap type, they are quite small and easy to slip out of your fingers , so what I always do is place a towel or cloth beneath where you are working. the wiring only takes about 20 min. The rest is easy. . When working with the connecting pins I found to avoid bending the pins the top part of the pin is sloted where the wire slides in Take a screw driver and press the wire down to the bottom of the slot very carefully, then screw the other part with the pin in with out cross threading the threads. Bernie

The following 2 users liked this post by sherbercars:
GGG (01-18-2014), WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your feedback Bernie!

Bernie is the first Beta tester who has installed the upgrade on his own. The only difference is that the production units will benefit from any improvements or feedback that the Beta testers provide.

After doing several of these kinds of products, I have learned that the first few users provide extraordinarily valuable feedback. I then improve the instructions and the product as necessary based on this feedback so the final production purchasers have the best experience possible. That is the reason behind the Beta test program.

In exchange for their time, the Beta testers get a special discount and a free upgrade to the production version (if needed).

As I posted earlier...I still need two Beta testers with a Right Hand Drive vehicle (one 2006-2009, and one 2010+) to work with me so I can bring this product to the UK, Australia and other RHD countries.

PS: One minor point on the rollbar assembly...yes treat it with respect as Bernie mentions, but it does not need to be stored upright. The sensors that detect rollover that trigger it are elsewhere in the vehicle, not in the mechanism itself. The rollover sensors have no part whatsover in this installation.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-17-2014 at 08:33 PM.
sherbercars (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bernie, thanks Steve.

Will there be diagrams of the install procedure.

Steve:

Just an idea......have one of the Beta Testers prepare a video of the actual installation. It would be a great addition to an instruction booklet.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
sherbercars (01-18-2014), WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bernie, thanks Steve.

Will there be diagrams of the install procedure.

Steve:

Just an idea......have one of the Beta Testers prepare a video of the actual installation. It would be a great addition to an instruction booklet.
The instruction manual is a .pdf that has literally dozens of sketches and color photos every step of the way. I will post it on my website before I start taking production orders, so anyone can review it before they buy. I am holding off posting for the moment until I can add the feedback from the Beta testers to be sure that everyone uses the best and latest version. Check out some of the other instruction manuals on my website and you can see the level of detail I provide.

I was fortunate to have a forum member do a video of the X100 (early XK8/R) installation when I brought that out in 2011. Perhaps one of the members here will eventually step forward and do one also.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I am in need of two Beta tester volunteers: one with a '06-'09 model XK convertible and one with a '10-'14 model convertible Right Hand Drive vehicle. ......
Steve,

I've posted threads in UK Region and Australia / New Zealand Region bringing this to the attention of members in RHD locations:

UK: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...quired-110135/

A/NZ: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...quired-110136/

I'll close those threads when you've found your testers.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 01-18-2014 at 08:45 AM.
WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

Steve,
I hope you have me on your list, I love the product and I am comfortable with the install.

I never drive in the cold but many might like a remote start as an option to it.

Do you have a time line for production, 1 month 6 months?

Thanks again.
JIm

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just a question here. Can you stop the process and reverse it once you started to open or close the top.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LstFord
Steve,
I hope you have me on your list, I love the product and I am comfortable with the install.

I never drive in the cold but many might like a remote start as an option to it.

Do you have a time line for production, 1 month 6 months?

Thanks again.
JIm
Yes, I have you down on the waiting list Jim, as well as anyone else who posted interest in this thread or had contacted me directly.

Barring any unforseen issues, I am hoping to begin production shipments in February 2014, beginning with the folks who are on the waiting list in the order they have contacted me.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just a question here. Can you stop the process and reverse it once you started to open or close the top.
Yes, definitely. The operator is still in control and responsible for safe operation of the top.

With the SmartKey, a press of door lock or unlock immediately halts the top once it is in motion. A second press will allow it to continue or reverse.

With the One-touch feature on the console, a press in opposite direction immediately halts the top when it is in motion. A second press will allow it to continue or reverse.

The One-touch feature can also be disabled with a switch on the module, which is recommended if you have small children.

For the rear windows (when operated separately from the top), once in motion, any single press or pull of the passenger window button immediately halts the movement. It can then be restarted in either direction with 3 pulls or presses of the passenger window button.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.
jagtoes (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Count me in including rear window control.

WhiteXKR (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this work with a 1999 XK8? If not do you kn of a product that does?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ragneta2000
Would this work with a 1999 XK8? If not do you kn of a product that does?
Hi Bob- I have a similar product for your '99 XK8 that I have been shipping for a couple of years now here: XK8 / XKR Convertible Top Remote Control - TheJagWrangler

-Steve

Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up One Right-Hand Drive (UK) Beta Tester volunteer still needed with an '06-'08 XK/XKR

Quick update:

Beta testing is going well and I still expect that Left Hand Drive (LHD) Remote Top kits will start shipping this month to wait list customers as planned.

I still need one more Beta tester volunteer with a '06-'08 model XK/XKR convertible Right Hand Drive vehicle in the UK, Australia, New Zealand or other RHD country.

Although the final product will not take special skills to install, I would prefer a Beta tester with a slightly technical orientation.
I will offer the Beta test volunteer a HUGE discount on the kit and free upgrades in exchange for a little time extra time.

Please send me a Private mail or contact me on my website contact page: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/contact-us.html if interested.

Also contact me if you want to get on the waiting list for the production model (LHD or RHD).

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-02-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: XK Remote Top demo video !