XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK vs XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK vs XJ

After owning a 2007 Jaguar XJ8 for two+ years I just bought a 2008 XK tonight! Trading in my love was tough.

Any of you XK owners have had XJ's before? Help ease my mind. I was in love with my XJ it was so sexy, smooth, sleek with the leaper and beautiful interior. This XK is a different animal. I'm finding it a little tight, but ready to rock. I already miss my roomy XJ, I think I should be more excited and hoping I grow into this girlfriend. Thoughts on preference for either one? Will I forget about the XJ in a week?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I traded in an '04 XJ8 for an '07 XKR last November. The only regret I have is that it is far less practical space wise. We don't travel as much as a family any more so this isn't a big issue. I have managed to fit the four of us in for a 20 minute drive but it really wasn't at all comfortable in the back for my two teenage kids. We did all fit but everyone has to compromise on space, including me having to have my seat further forward than I am comfortable with. We have had 3 up a few times and that is not so bad, not for me anyway

Power wise, looks wise and driving wise the XKR is in a different league!

Last edited by u102768; 06-28-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
And Congrats on the XK!

Picking one Cat over another is a difficult call at best, so I feel for you. With the deal already done, all I can say you have already shown good taste, and the XK will reward you with many miles worth of smiles!

Beyond driver and passenger, you already know she isn't the roomiest, but you will quickly become comfortable packing materials slightly tighter than before. Road trips are still a dream! (Shopping trips, not so much.)

Anyhow, again I offer my congrats... Enjoy!

Vince

Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

You have entered a whole new world. I have owned and driven many XJs going all the way back to 1974, including V12s, sixes, eights (supercharged and normally aspirated). Now, I am on my second XK and I like them far more than the sedans. Unless I miss my guess you will find that the XK is a far different cat than the XJ. But they are both Jaguars and all that that means. Enjoy the XK for what it is - a very sporty, luxurious GT. The XJ is a luxurious somewhat sporty sedan. Go enjoy!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

No, you won't forget about the XJ, I have both..and love them both for what they are.
Totally different cars. Apples and Oranges.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Two years back I traded my 05 XJR in on an 07 XK coup. For me it has been a mixed bag of delight and disappointment. I will list some pros and cons but keep in mind that we are comparing an R short body sport sedan to a non aspirated car GT car.

XK CAR
The car is the most beautiful machine I have owned. People walk around it and ask "what the hell is it?"
The seats are mucho comfortable for an all day drive.
Power, particularly in S mode is great.
Handling is superb particularly considering the size of the car.

Steering feedback is ever so slightly vague/numb compared to the XJR.
Backing up is a hazard. You just can't see out of the car to the rear.

XJR CAR

Mid range power is incredible. Be very careful passing or you find yourself going 100 miles an hour in a 60 mph zone.
Handling good, steering feedback and communication with the car is great.

An all day run in this car will kill your back due to over bolstered seats.
Reliability, while generally good, is marred by the G-- D----- air suspension system.

SUMMATION

I should have bought XJ Super V8 and up graded the suspension to Arnott
Very subjective I know but that's where I'm at.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I had a '05 VDP before the '07 XK. I was quite happy with the VDP, but it was just too darn big for me. Long as a yacht and wide as a dam. I live in the city and it just wasn't that practical. Beautfiul car (dark blue) that was pretty unique looking and was quite reliable.

I sold it to a friend and now he is saying it's too big for him, lol. I'd like to get the current generation XJ some time. We are a two car family, and would have to trade in our Range Rover which my better half does not want to do right now. Tata has both Land Rover and Jaguar rocking with beautiful cars, I hope they keep up the good job so far.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

You did not specify which gen XJ you wished to compare the '08 XK to. I recently sold my gorgeous '08XK and have a 2012 XJL as well as a 2012 XF.

I was never fully happy with the handling of the XK. For my taste it had far too much body roll, under-steer and the steering was kind of slow. The first thing to notice that the new XJ steering is quicker, more precise and the handling is tighter than the '08 XK. Having said that, it is a HUGE sedan and you are not likely to toss it around on tight winding roads. It is definitely not a sport sedan, which the XF is.

The XJL is a more luxurious environment, more imposing sight for people to notice and have more advanced electronics, albeit still not up to the competition. I do like voice controls in my XJL and the navigation is only marginally improved. The 5.0L engine is a significant upgrade over the 4.2.

I do have ride harshness issues with my particular XJL that, apparently, other owners do not seem to share. My '08 XK actually had a better ride using the same tires. But, hopefully I can get it fixed soon under warranty.

As far as which one gets more public attention: that is a toss up, the XK is incredibly sexy looking while the XJL is incredibly elegant and unique. If anything I get more compliments for the XJL.

Albert

Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I had 8 xj and 2 xk.
while i was owning xj sometimes, i never fell driving the exact same car, depending of tire pressure, alignment, services, conditions, the xk is more tied more concise, I do not regret my xk at all cause i did not like the air suspension on the 03-09 model. I preferred the earlier model 95-03 and i owned 3. and sometimes i wander if i prefer again more my 84 vdp type 3 1984. Weight brings something to cars that can't be replaced in term of comfort stability, feelings.