XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic frame issue? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK / XKR ( X150 )
Reload this Page >

XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic frame issue?

Notices
XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic frame issue?

 
  #1  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:52 PM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Question XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic holder issue?

So after a drive the other day I noticed my driver side license plate light frame was dangling from my trunk lid. It appears a plastic tab broke off the frame. I bought what I thought was the correct replacement - part number C2P11429 - but this one doesn't have a tab and instead has what appears to be a screw hole to screw it into the gray trim piece. My gray trim piece has nowhere to screw it onto. I'm guessing later models screw onto the trim piece because this tab kept breaking. Anyone with an XK/XKR mind checking out theirs and telling me what yours looks like? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I could get the new one to work without replacing the gray trim piece. If anyone has any alternative suggestions to get either my old part or new part to stay in place I'm all ears. I can't get the passenger sold one to come off to see what it looks like and I'm afraid if I force it I will break the tab and make my bad situation worse.

I'm attaching a pic of the old and new parts. The old one is up top and you can see the broken tab to the right.
 
Attached Thumbnails XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic frame issue?-20150714_184751.jpg  

Last edited by whostorm05; 07-14-2015 at 09:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to whostorm05 For This Useful Post:
ag986 (09-18-2015)
  #2  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Forgot to mention that the car is a 2008 XKR.
 
  #3  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 AM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So I'm now learning that the part number I ordered is not correct. I've asked the eBay seller for the correct part number. The auction clearly states this is for a 07-11 XKR so I don't know where I went wrong. I'm hopeful they can provide me the correct part number and that I will be able to find it. They do not stock it.

This is the one I wrong one which i purchased:

Jaguar 07 11 XKR License Lamps Rear Lamps License Lamp Left C2P11429 | eBay
 
  #4  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The new part number they are suggesting I need is C2P3668. I may run by the local Jag dealer and verify. When I called the local jag dealer they said they wanted 60+ dollars for the part but I forgot to ask for the part number.
 
  #5  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM
WhiteXKR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington VA USA
Posts: 7,465
Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,003 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
The new part number they are suggesting I need is C2P3668. I may run by the local Jag dealer and verify. When I called the local jag dealer they said they wanted 60+ dollars for the part but I forgot to ask for the part number.

Ebay listings often contain errors. Use an online parts dealer. Your dealer is charging double list price. Send them your VIN and they will verify compatibility.

For example:

LAMP-NUMBER PLAT | Genuine Jaguar | C2P3668

LICENSE LAMP | Genuine Jaguar | C2P11429
 

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.
  #6  
Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 AM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Yeah, should have used my VIN to begin with but couldn't find a good part lookup place. Oh well. Just purchased a C2P3668 off ebay. Anyone have a need for a C2P11429?
 
  #7  
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I like how the Gaudin site still says C2P11429 would fit a 2008 XKR. I wonder if it switched mid model year or something. What crap....
 
  #8  
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 49
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
So after a drive the other day I noticed my driver side license plate light frame was dangling from my trunk lid. It appears a plastic tab broke off the frame. I bought what I thought was the correct replacement - part number C2P11429 - but this one doesn't have a tab and instead has what appears to be a screw hole to screw it into the gray trim piece. My gray trim piece has nowhere to screw it onto. I'm guessing later models screw onto the trim piece because this tab kept breaking. Anyone with an XK/XKR mind checking out theirs and telling me what yours looks like? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I could get the new one to work without replacing the gray trim piece. If anyone has any alternative suggestions to get either my old part or new part to stay in place I'm all ears. I can't get the passenger sold one to come off to see what it looks like and I'm afraid if I force it I will break the tab and make my bad situation worse.

I'm attaching a pic of the old and new parts. The old one is up top and you can see the broken tab to the right.
I have the same problem on a 2010 XK, but for the light on the right-hand side of the plate. Does anyone have the correct part number for that? I have an unused C2P11428.
Thanks,
 
  #9  
Old 09-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 49
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ag986 View Post
I have the same problem on a 2010 XK, but for the light on the right-hand side of the plate. Does anyone have the correct part number for that? I have an unused C2P11428.
Thanks,
I've found the answer to my question: C2P3667
 
  #10  
Old 05-11-2016, 04:28 PM
whostorm05's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So the driver side replacement just broke. Same tab broke. I'm assuming this is the reason why they switched to the screw in type. So annoying. It didn't even last a year. I'm guessing there's no warranty on this either as I bought it off ebay. Ugh.
 
  #11  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 43
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

How do you remove the rear plate lamp housing on a 2008 XK ?
Can't find it in the workshop manual and it is too fragile for a mistake...

thanks
 
  #12  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:51 PM
TexasTraveler's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rockwall/Heath TX
Posts: 859
Thanked 348 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
How do you remove the rear plate lamp housing on a 2008 XK ?
Can't find it in the workshop manual and it is too fragile for a mistake...

thanks
Page 2469 of workshop manual shows the 4 bolts that need to be removed, 2 behind the small plastic circles and 2 behind the lights... There should be some double-stick tape holding it on as well towards the ends of the finisher...
 
  #13  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 43
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

"2 behind the lights..."
My question is how to remove those 2 lights

Thanks
 
  #14  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
TexasTraveler's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rockwall/Heath TX
Posts: 859
Thanked 348 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
"2 behind the lights..."
My question is how to remove those 2 lights

Thanks
The lights simple pop out on one side using a small flat head screw driver or a pick... I believe the side that pops out will be towards the middle of the car on both lights...

 

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 01-08-2019 at 03:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TexasTraveler For This Useful Post:
Cee Jay (01-08-2019)
  #15  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 43
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

thank you TexasTraveler
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
toronadomike
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
10
07-26-2018 03:35 AM
PMKimpton
X-Type ( X400 )
12
02-08-2017 04:35 PM
Beardy
PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds
1
09-18-2015 10:00 AM
obwoodie
New Member Area - Intro a MUST
8
09-03-2015 07:45 PM
Dallas XK8
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
1
09-03-2015 12:17 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XK / XKR License Plate Lamp plastic frame issue?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: