XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR differential locking motor: Same as XFR and Land Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default XKR differential locking motor: Same as XFR and Land Rover?

SDD is telling me that the E-Diff error I'm getting is P186D-00:

A new clutch actuator motor costs $900 from the dealer. Ebay doesn't have any XKR clutch actuator motors for sale, but there are numerous 2010+ XFR 5.0 clutch actuator motors for sale for around $300. And there are even more Land Rover clutch actuator motors for as low as $200.

Are they all the same? They look identical in the various pictures. I'd rather take my chances with a $200 Land Rover part than shell out almost five times as much for a new Jaguar part. Especially since I'm not 100% certain that the motor is the actual cause.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Throw some fresh oil in there and see if that clears the code. As strange as that sounds.
I am a moron but met plenty of electronics that were dumber than me.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

I went to the dealer today and bought two bottles of the fluid. I might try to change it this evening, depending in how late I get home. I don't want to be working around hot exhaust pipes, and I don't want to be up at midnight trying to finish.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

If it's like the Ford Sterling 8" rear it'll have a spot to add but not one to drain...

If you get that far I'd love to see how the locking guts fit together. Thinking a lever like farm tractors use.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Important! Use the correct QUANTITY of fluid, do NOT use the "Fill to Hole" method!!

ALSO, make sure the fluid you use has Friction Modifiers, or add your own.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The E-Diff in the XKR and the 6-speed XFR and X351 XJ Supercharged is the same part number, same ratio, same drive motor.

BUT

There were two different versions, by VIN range.

XKR, B32753 to B48619
XFR, R47154 to S24218
XJ S/C, V00001 to V24657

and

XKR, B48619 to end
XFR, S24219 to S61361
XJ S/C, V24658 to V39426

The XFR from S61362 & XJ S/C from V39427 had the 8-speed and the diff is totally different, a newer design like what's in the F-Type, not backwards compatible.

You need to be careful that your car has it's original diff, likewise any donor car, because the early version was obsoleted and replaced by the new version, and as far as I can see the stepper motors are not backwards compatible.

The stepper motor as a Jaguar spare is only listed for the new version of diff in the XKR, specified by VIN range, it is implied that the new stepper motor is not compatible with the older diff.

None of the Land Rover and Range Rover E-Diff's that I checked share a part number for the stepper motor with the Jaguars.

Make sure the dealer gave you the correct oil for the E-Diff, it's Castrol BOT 720 75W–90, p/n C2D3650 or LR019727, and the diff needs 1.3L of oil, but they only sell 1.0L bottles, go figure...

The standard non E-Diff fluid is Castrol SAF–XO 75W–90, you put this in an E-Diff by mistake and you'll know about it, I know a dealer here in Australia had to replace a diff out of his own pocket because of a simple mistake like that.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

I bought the genuine Jaguar fluid at the dealership. It was $40 per bottle and I needed 1.3 bottles. They made me buy two. It's supposed to be the exact correct fluid with no friction modifier required.

I changed the fluid tonight. Yes, I made sure I could unscrew the fill plug before I unscrewed the drain plug. Thank goodness...

The fill plug is very difficult to get to. It requires an 8mm hex key, but a normal hex key won't fit in the narrow space. So I took my 8mm hex key, put it in a vice, and took a hacksaw to it. My plan was to have a short piece of 8mm hex that I could put an 8mm wrench on. In hindsight, I could have used the 8mm hex key if I had left the short end a little longer. In any case, I was able to get the cut-off bit into the hole and get a wrench on it. I had to use a cheater bar to get enough leverage on the wrench, and I had to us PB Blaster on the plug to loosen it up, but I finally got it loose. as soon as I got the fill plug out, fluid started pouring out. That makes me think it was overfilled (???).

The drain plug was a piece of cake. It has a magnet to collect metal particles, and it was coated with about an 2mm of oily metal particles.

I used one of those cheap, $5 fluid pumps from Harbor Freight to pump the new fluid into the differential. The stuff that came out of the differential was as black as used motor oil. The stuff I put in was as clear as water. My wife helped me measure it because I was laying on my back under the car. Right as I was getting to 1.3 liters the fluid started coming out of the fill plug. For some reason I was thinking the fill plug would be higher than the fluid level, but right at 1.3 liters the fluid started coming out. So I plugged it up, cleaned myself up, and went for a short drive.

When I got back I hooked up my SDD computer and tried to calibrate the e-diff. It's still showing that the e-diff error.

I'll drive it for a day or two and see what happens.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The E-Diff in the XKR and the 6-speed XFR and X351 XJ Supercharged is the same part number, same ratio, same drive motor.

BUT

There were two different versions, by VIN range.

XKR, B32753 to B48619
XFR, R47154 to S24218
XJ S/C, V00001 to V24657

and

XKR, B48619 to end
XFR, S24219 to S61361
XJ S/C, V24658 to V39426

The XFR from S61362 & XJ S/C from V39427 had the 8-speed and the diff is totally different, a newer design like what's in the F-Type, not backwards compatible.

You need to be careful that your car has it's original diff, likewise any donor car, because the early version was obsoleted and replaced by the new version, and as far as I can see the stepper motors are not backwards compatible.

The stepper motor as a Jaguar spare is only listed for the new version of diff in the XKR, specified by VIN range, it is implied that the new stepper motor is not compatible with the older diff.

None of the Land Rover and Range Rover E-Diff's that I checked share a part number for the stepper motor with the Jaguars.

Make sure the dealer gave you the correct oil for the E-Diff, it's Castrol BOT 720 75W–90, p/n C2D3650 or LR019727, and the diff needs 1.3L of oil, but they only sell 1.0L bottles, go figure...

The standard non E-Diff fluid is Castrol SAF–XO 75W–90, you put this in an E-Diff by mistake and you'll know about it, I know a dealer here in Australia had to replace a diff out of his own pocket because of a simple mistake like that.
Thanks for the info, Cambo! If this fluid change doesn't fix the issue in a week or two, I might buy one of those other differential motors. I'll use your info to make sure I buy one that's compatible.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I bought the genuine Jaguar fluid at the dealership. It was $40 per bottle and I needed 1.3 bottles. They made me buy two. It's supposed to be the exact correct fluid with no friction modifier required.

I changed the fluid tonight. Yes, I made sure I could unscrew the fill plug before I unscrewed the drain plug. Thank goodness...

The fill plug is very difficult to get to. It requires an 8mm hex key, but a normal hex key won't fit in the narrow space. So I took my 8mm hex key, put it in a vice, and took a hacksaw to it. My plan was to have a short piece of 8mm hex that I could put an 8mm wrench on. In hindsight, I could have used the 8mm hex key if I had left the short end a little longer. In any case, I was able to get the cut-off bit into the hole and get a wrench on it. I had to use a cheater bar to get enough leverage on the wrench, and I had to us PB Blaster on the plug to loosen it up, but I finally got it loose. as soon as I got the fill plug out, fluid started pouring out. That makes me think it was overfilled (???).

The drain plug was a piece of cake. It has a magnet to collect metal particles, and it was coated with about an 2mm of oily metal particles.

I used one of those cheap, $5 fluid pumps from Harbor Freight to pump the new fluid into the differential. The stuff that came out of the differential was as black as used motor oil. The stuff I put in was as clear as water. My wife helped me measure it because I was laying on my back under the car. Right as I was getting to 1.3 liters the fluid started coming out of the fill plug. For some reason I was thinking the fill plug would be higher than the fluid level, but right at 1.3 liters the fluid started coming out. So I plugged it up, cleaned myself up, and went for a short drive.

When I got back I hooked up my SDD computer and tried to calibrate the e-diff. It's still showing that the e-diff error.

So what happened? Did the oil change fix the issue, or a new clutch actuator was required ?

Old 04-04-2024, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

So? Did it do the trick? 🤓

Old 04-04-2024, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sulaimman alrawahi
So? Did it do the trick? 🤓
This post is quite old and Reverend Sam is usually on the X100 forum so he may not see any questions.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 312 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
This post is quite old and Reverend Sam is usually on the X100 forum so he may not see any questions.
a-ah - backslidden from X150 to X100

Old 04-04-2024, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by McJag222
a-ah - backslidden from X150 to X100
..... or his XK8 is always broken...