XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is the XKR a future classic?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Eventually some sort of legislation in regards to automotive electronics and plastics will need to occur. Allowing the aftermarket to repair and reproduce modules after either a set period of years or when the OEM no longer offers repair/replacement items at a set "reasonable" price. The information via drawings and engineering documents needed to not have to reverse engineer things.being made available.

Basically after a point in time that something is out of use and support, the component because some sort of public domain.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Eventually some sort of legislation in regards to automotive electronics and plastics will need to occur. Allowing the aftermarket to repair and reproduce modules after either a set period of years or when the OEM no longer offers repair/replacement items at a set "reasonable" price. The information via drawings and engineering documents needed to not have to reverse engineer things.being made available.

Basically after a point in time that something is out of use and support, the component because some sort of public domain.
I doubt it. The manufacturers have lobbying power to keep that from happening, they want you to buy new, not fix up your old car, and keep a lock on their intellectual property.
The ‘tree huggers’ want you to buy a new ‘green’ vehicle, not fix up your old polluter.
The deck is stacked against that info becoming ‘public domain’.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk

I doubt it. The manufacturers have lobbying power to keep that from happening, they want you to buy new, not fix up your old car, and keep a lock on their intellectual property.
The ‘tree huggers’ want you to buy a new ‘green’ vehicle, not fix up your old polluter.
The deck is stacked against that info becoming ‘public domain’.
Oh I bet they definitely would fight it. Recent discussions about intellectual property were fought about tuning factory computers in cars in the US. It would take a miracle to get what I said. It's what I think has to happen to keep more modern cars on the road long term; or more people need to get into reverse engineering electronics in more modern stuff to try and bridge the gap.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Intellectual property rights are one thing, having a profit bearing company spend the time and resources to T/S and repair a limited production run of outdated models for minimal profit is another...

If you want something that will be supported for decades, buy a Mustang.

If you want something that will last dang near forever, find something with an updraft carburetor as they don't have rubber parts that fail.

Per the X150, enjoy it now because it will fade to picturebooks.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm think that the usual mechanical and some electrical stuff will be here long after a lot of us are gone. Body parts will be limited to any WW spares and that of salvaged cars. Even convertible tops will still be available years from now. The area that I agree might be prone to availability is the various micro processors and the software to support the car. This might grow a small rebuild market and even as some have done here gleaned knowledge in the systems and how to change some settings. But still the SW is the problem area. Having spent 14 years in the old Ferrari 308 cars this is what happened in that world. So enjoy it while you can but for me I'll be long gone by the time all of the parts are gone. My 2 cents.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
... So enjoy it while you can but for me I'll be long gone by the time all of the parts are gone. My 2 cents.
Why not take it with you? The Egyptian Pharaohs did, and she did, too!

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...al-7528939.php

The following users liked this post:
Marc (09-21-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

By the time I die my XKR will probably be worth less than a casket anyway.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Casket? I'm going to be eaten by beetles then hung on a hook for students.

MarkyUK (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

I plan on having my body thrown in the woods to rot. I'm dead, I don't care.

I do know that when I die, if I die at home; my cat will eat me. She will do this while she still has plenty of cat food, and even if there are other people in the house. She's a dick.

The following 4 users liked this post by 80sRule:
Cee Jay (09-10-2018), jahummer (09-12-2018), Ranchero50 (09-11-2018), SinF (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I plan on having my body thrown in the woods to rot. I'm dead, I don't care.

I do know that when I die, if I die at home; my cat will eat me. She will do this while she still has plenty of cat food, and even if there are other people in the house. She's a dick.
LOL - Funniest thing I read today!! That cat is a dick!!
Get a dog, I think my Border Collies would die like two days after me from total heart break - poor things....

Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Personally, I think my XKR will be a classic (long after I'm pushing up grass).

Old 09-27-2018, 01:57 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peet01
LOL - Funniest thing I read today!! That cat is a dick!!
Get a dog, I think my Border Collies would die like two days after me from total heart break - poor things....
I agree- Border Collies are the best. Super smart, and so loyal!

Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I did read that XKR prices are on the rise in the UK but I can't find the article now to share. May be I dreamed it !!
Personally I think it will be a long wait. The Pro's are;
Were in a era of change so the the current group of large IC engined cars will be some of the last as electric and hybrids take over. There may be nostalgia for old and the XK has the advantage of being pretty and fairly timeless shape.
The Cons;
Possible regulations and possible cost of ownership. Personally the difficulty in upgrading the touch screen / audio / Nav will bad news.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

If we are going to all electric cars, they had better begin upgrading electrical infrastructure and start building many new power plants. We already have rolling blackouts in peak usage time. I cannot see widespread use of electric cars with the current state of affairs, and see no effort afoot to upgrade the existing failing infrastructure.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 110reef
If we are going to all electric cars, they had better begin upgrading electrical infrastructure and start building many new power plants. We already have rolling blackouts in peak usage time. I cannot see widespread use of electric cars with the current state of affairs, and see no effort afoot to upgrade the existing failing infrastructure.
That's part of it along with the whole range issue. I visit friends in various places ranging from 250-400 miles. So the problem would be how fast can you "fill" the batteries.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

That's part of it along with the whole range issue. I visit friends in various places ranging from 250-400 miles. So the problem would be how fast can you "fill" the batteries.
Agreed!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Agreed there are many reasons why I won't buy a elictric car. The hybrid goes a long way to solve that. The main thing is battery tech is evolving at a fast pace and it won't be long before that changes beyound recognition. Infastructure is certainly a problem and one that the US is likely to slower to develop.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

A month or so ago, I was in Boston with some time to kill, so I stopped into a Tesla showroom, and asked the sales rep, "So if I had a Tesla, and was driving along in a deserted stretch of highway, and I miscalculated my next charging location, and ran out of juice along the road, could another Tesla driver stop and give me a 'jump'? Just enough juice to get me to the next charging station?"
The answer was "No. You have to get towed to a charging station. No exchanging juices between cars." (Ok, so maybe she didn't quite put it into those exact words, but you get the drift. You run out of juice, you're dead.)

andys-GR (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
A month or so ago, I was in Boston with some time to kill, so I stopped into a Tesla showroom, and asked the sales rep, "So if I had a Tesla, and was driving along in a deserted stretch of highway, and I miscalculated my next charging location, and ran out of juice along the road, could another Tesla driver stop and give me a 'jump'? Just enough juice to get me to the next charging station?"
The answer was "No. You have to get towed to a charging station. No exchanging juices between cars." (Ok, so maybe she didn't quite put it into those exact words, but you get the drift. You run out of juice, you're dead.)
Maybe tomorrows fuel stations will be a Super 8 with a bunch of extension cords.

andys-GR (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Coming soon from Tesla - Under Research & Development. Quick Charger, Emergency Cordless Hand Held. Project Name: TURD-QC-ECHH

Still undergoing developmental testing. One problem is that the operators wear out before the batteries are charged.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
kj07xk (09-29-2018), Sean W (09-29-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the XKR a future classic?