Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR help and tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default XKR help and tips

Hi everyone

I've finally purchased my first XKR woohoo!! (Pics attached)

I'm really worried that I'm going to set off with it and not look after it appropriately, is there anything you think I NEED to know about looking after an XKR? e.g. how long I need to let the engine warm up/warm down for before and after driving around.

Looking for big tips on keeping a healthy XKR

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails XKR help and tips-myjag1.jpg   XKR help and tips-myjag2.jpg   XKR help and tips-myjag3.jpg   XKR help and tips-myjag4.jpg  
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Enjoy and have fun. It's a car so just drive it and keep it clean.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice car welcome.
Have you looked at the XKEC as well?
XK8/XKR ENTHUSIASTS CLUB (XKEC)

Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenS
Hi everyone
............... how long I need to let the engine warm up/warm down for before and after driving around.

Thanks!
It's pretty much just 'a car', but what I do with ALL my cars is wait until the idle settles down from a cold-start and is about .....650 rpm?? ..before I take off. It takes about 50-60 seconds of closed-loop idle to get there. Some people say "Just Drive", but I've done this my whole life pretty much, and somewhat-warm-oil and a 'normal' idle speed won't hurt anything. Also, a normal idle won't slam the drivetrain when it's put into gear the first time.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Thank you.

You might be able to help me here - when I start the car, there is about 1 second of clicking, it's similar to the sound that would happen if you put a piece of hard plastic into a rotating fan. About 8 clicks in the space of the a second as the engine is revving up.

Is this normal?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by PsiFox
Nice car welcome.
Have you looked at the XKEC as well?
XK8/XKR ENTHUSIASTS CLUB (XKEC)
The distillery tours appear particularly worthwhile.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Hayden,

Just noticed the young lady in one of your photos, and boy do I recognize that expression of what she's thinking... 'Take the damn photo of your car already! I wanna go shopping!'.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Ha ha!! That's my lovely girlfriend waiting to get her phone back as the camera on mine is damaged.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Interesting DRL's and badging. What kind of exhaust is on it, doesn't look stock.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

If you don't have current service records, suggest you check all and maybe change all fluids including oil, transmission, brake and coolant. Also known issues on 07s include a clogged duckbill for condensate discharge. In the search box up above in the right corner type in AC duckbill for more info on that subject, there are at least 2-3 threads on that subject. You may also want to type in "known problems 2007-2009 XKR"

Oh, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride in your beautiful XKR.

The following users liked this post:
HaydenS (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Interesting DRL's and badging. What kind of exhaust is on it, doesn't look stock.
What is a DRL? Sorry I'm new to the terminology.

Standard exhaust as far as I'm aware... But it is INCREDIBLY loud, so I'm starting to think it's been modified...

Yeah the previous owner put the badge on the bonnet, I really don't like it but he drilled it through so it's got to stay....

Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You don't need much warming up at all. Just start the car, get your seat belt set, adjust the radio, climate, and off you go...

Queen and Country (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 PM

DRL = Daytime Running Lights.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The distillery tours appear particularly worthwhile.
Hic! I doooooont knew what u meant, hic.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

I spent about five decades on two wheels, mostly Harleys, and it was mandatory to let it idle till the oil found its way up to the heads to keep from trashing the valve gear. I've typically let everything idle a couple minutes after starting to ensure the oil is getting to where it's needed. Probably don't need to anymore but I'm a bit "old school".

Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have a pretty simple start up sequence. First hit the button and check the oil. Then hit the start method and as the engine is transitioning from open loop to close loop I put the top down and hook up my lap belt and turn the radio on. By this time the engine is at closed loop idle and I drive away. This is only with first start of the day otherwise it's get and go.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

On the 5liter we are fortunate that there is reverse cooling (faster warmup) and excellent oil flow.

Even the critics who say you should not warm a car up, state that you should not do above 50% throttle until the car warms. Because your engine and some other components are not up to ideal operating parameter and temperature. Specifically they used to say dont get on the highway with a cold engine.

There is one fly in their ointment- those antiquated suggestions were made before we had the traffic we have now and the speed limits we have now and the transmissions we have. So many have a 55mph street right at the end of their driveway (that was the hyw speed limits back then) and the transmission is more than happy to drop you in 6th gear at 45mph.

Lugging a cold engine is one of the worst wears on a motor. If where you live has you revving your car hard to get into traffic and then dropping you in overdrive before your vents can blow warm air- then let it warm up like Jagtoes does.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenS
Thank you.

You might be able to help me here - when I start the car, there is about 1 second of clicking, it's similar to the sound that would happen if you put a piece of hard plastic into a rotating fan. About 8 clicks in the space of the a second as the engine is revving up.

Is this normal?
Hayden,

Congrats and welcome to the Forum. I noted from your Personal Profile that your XKR is a 2007 and that you're in the UK. That makes it a 2008 model in the USA, which is evidenced by the lack of a retractable radio antenna. You didn't mention how many miles are on your car, or how many miles since the last oil change.

Your 4.2L SC engine is very reliable, but anything mechanical wears and can break down. I suspect that the clicking noise is probably caused the the fuel injectors and/or one or more valves out of adjustment. See this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...get-rid-89466/

Back in the day, American cars with pushrods and hydraulic valve lifters often made clicking noises when first started due to "bleedback" of motor oil that had drained out of the lifters. That noise usually went away in a few seconds, after the lifters refilled with oil. If not, a lifter was clogged and would need to be cleaned or replaced. Note that Jaguar engines are DOHC (double overhead cams) and don't use pushrods and hydraulic valve lifters. Similar noises but different causes.

If this was helpful, please press on the bottom right.

Stuart

HaydenS (08-24-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
It's pretty much just 'a car', but what I do with ALL my cars is wait until the idle settles down from a cold-start and is about .....650 rpm?? ..before I take off. It takes about 50-60 seconds of closed-loop idle to get there. Some people say "Just Drive", but I've done this my whole life pretty much, and somewhat-warm-oil and a 'normal' idle speed won't hurt anything. Also, a normal idle won't slam the drivetrain when it's put into gear the first time.
I do this as well. The owner of the Jag dealership came out when I took delivery 5 years ago. He congratulated me, made a production of starting up my new car for me in the showroom and then made me promise I would never move the car until it had 'settled' to 650-700 Rpm, and no more before engaging Drive. He said I would be rewarded with a happy engine. So far so good.

Cee Jay (08-30-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Well said - and this is my procedure too. It allows time for all the fluids to circulate and start doing their job before any stress is put on the mechanical bits. To be clear: this is not to advocate any prolonged idling to "warm" the engine; it just means allowing the engine to get past the starting enrichment period. (And one of the worst things you can do to an engine is to start it and shut it off while still in the enrichment period - too much fuel in the cylinders!).
As to whether or not an XK or XKR is "just a car" - well, some of us think they are pretty special.

Queen and Country (08-31-2017)