XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR Race Car For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default XKR Race Car For Sale

This is kinda cool. Be sure to click on the other pictures. Love the body Flares. Not much horse power for a race car I thought and it doesn't look like they use a supercharger???

2011 Jaguar XKRS-GT GT2 "Factory Jaguar Le Mans GT2" Spec Sheet

The following 2 users liked this post by hawaii:
axr6 (08-10-2013), DGL (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Maybe they are siding on reliability with the HP?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Maybe they are siding on reliability with the HP?
Lots of money for a used race car. In the US the equivalent would be the SCCA GT-1 car with V8 power of about 640 RWHP and 2400 lbs. But, this one has Jaguar engine and fiberglass. Outside of the engine there is likely not much in common with Jaguar production or parts. One should be able to pick up a similar year GT-1 for a third or less.

Most race car sanctioning rules do not allow for turbo or supercharging. So, all power is natually aspirated.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-10-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Wasnt this one for sale not too long ago? MMaybe nobody bought it.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

There's probably a displacement cap on the engines. They have to have these rules to limit HP or it will get ridiculous...

Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

As I looked at the chassis specs, I noted the "aluminum monocoque" chassis. That tells me that they are using a reinforced street car chassis and not a custom built racing chassis. That should take away from the value of the car a bunch more. No street chassied race car ever comes close to a purpose built racing chassis on the track.

Albert

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
As I looked at the chassis specs, I noted the "aluminum monocoque" chassis. That tells me that they are using a reinforced street car chassis and not a custom built racing chassis. That should take away from the value of the car a bunch more. No street chassied race car ever comes close to a purpose built racing chassis on the track.

Albert
Is the value of this car really due to its modifications, or the fact that it was actually raced in the American LM Series? It's a piece of (recent) history!

Personally, I think it's cooler that it is a "factory" racecar and shares a lot of the chassis of the street-version of the car.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Is the value of this car really due to its modifications, or the fact that it was actually raced in the American LM Series? It's a piece of (recent) history!

Personally, I think it's cooler that it is a "factory" racecar and shares a lot of the chassis of the street-version of the car.
I don't think so. A two year old race car has no historical value, unless it is something very special, such as a winning F1 car. They are asking far too much, just hoping that someone with too much money and lots of love for the Jaguar brand would bite. Also, a winning record could help but, no such claims are being made in the ad. I also am somewhat doubtful about the claims that this was a "factory race car", implying that it was a factory sponsored racing effort.

At times a factory "may" support a racing program, just as Mazda officially supported all privately raced race cars with low priced parts and some technology but, it was NOT an official factory sponsored effort for any one car. It would be the potential buyer's due diligence to uncover any and all records. For that kind of money for a used race car, with no stellar winning record, you got to find some hidden gold somewhere.

The factory chassis is a significant drawback. Not only they are disadvantaged for racing but, race cars crash all the time and it is very difficult to quickly repair a monocoque aluminum chassis. Purpose built racing chassies are almost always faster and much easier to repair, often in a matter of hours to put the race car right back in the race after a practice or qualifying session crash. I personally would never consider a street chassied race car.

Albert

Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

I just think any potential buyers would be buying it as a collector item, not as a racecar... you seem to think otherwise. I do agree that the price is wacky.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Here is, what I would consider, a more interesting buy for a similar, street chassied race car for 1/6th of the price.

1994 Ferrari 348 Challenge Spec Sheet

One of these regularly raced in my SCCA run group. They were running in the Super-unlimited class. Fun looking car but, my GT 2/3 Mazda would easily outrun it.

Attached is a picture from the late 90's, showing a GT-1 Vette leading the first lap coming through Laguna Seca's famous Corkscrew turn. I am in second place in my green GT-2 Mazda, the Ferrari factory 348 in third, a mid-engined Porsche sports racer in 4th (you can only see the large wing of the Porsche over the Vette's roof).

Albert

Attached Thumbnails XKR Race Car For Sale-race4.jpg  

Last edited by axr6; 08-11-2013 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hawaii (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Do these race cars usually get the asking price or just a fraction of what they ask? I likey that 348!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
Do these race cars usually get the asking price or just a fraction of what they ask? I likey that 348!
Sounds like a good price and even better if it goes cheaper. Just 5 hours on the engine... Could the suspension be made to something for street? Is it able to be registered for the road?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Sounds like a good price and even better if it goes cheaper. Just 5 hours on the engine... Could the suspension be made to something for street? Is it able to be registered for the road?
It would take a fair amount of work to make it road legal. You would need to pass local smog, meaning you would have to get a Ferrari engine management computer, likely redo the engine internals as the big ports and valving would not pass smog. That is just the beginning. Meet all DOT safety, install a presentable interior, transmission etc.... might as well buy a nice street version at that point. Suspension would probably be the least of the issues.

Judging from the number of views on the ad, it has been for sale for a long time so, you could likely talk the price down. I used to look at that race car site when I was racing and race cars were NOT easy to sell, they would be on the market for a long time and when they did sell they might be a huge bargain compared to what went into them. That Ferrari, including the original cost, probably cost the owner at least $200K in building, improvements etc. Racing cars that you actually race are BAD investments. You don't want to ask me how much I put into my green GT race car and my Formula race cars and how much I sold them for....arghhhhh....!!! But, still beats racing a slower $100+K street car and crashing it on the tracks.

Still, can you put a price on the experience? Not! I'd do it all over again, crashes, fires, blown engines, all.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the car for sale might be the very same car in my old racing pictures. I have had some intense situations with the driver who had a bit of trouble handling his high priced Ferrari being beaten by my "Mazda" racing car. He came over from the factory sponsored Ferrari race series feeling hot and uppity and he figured that he, in his Ferrari, would easily beat these lesser-branded GT race cars. I remember the less-than-friendly interaction after one of his stupid track moves, trying to run me off the track:

"What the hell you think you were doing out there?"

"I was trying to get by you so I could go after that GT-1 car"

"Hello, STUPID Ferrari man, how much power do you have?"

"I have 400 HP"

"How much your Ferrari weights?"

"3400 lbs"

"Do you realize that GT-1 car has 640 RWHP and weights 2400 lbs with a full racing chassis vs. you street car chassis?"

He had no idea... he figured it was just a re-shaped street-like Corvette...

I told him that the ONLY reason I did not put him into the wall as a response to his recklessness was my "feelings" for his beautiful, shiny red Ferrari. While I was tempted to physically beat him silly for risking my life on the track, I filed a protest and he got promptly disqualified from that race by the Race Stewards. He needed to learn before he turned into a decent racer and a decent guy.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-11-2013 at 11:41 AM.