XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

xkr-s springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default xkr-s springs

Who has put xkr-s springs on a 2010 + xkr? How did it affect right height? Comfort? Traction? Body Roll? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The R-S springs are the same as the Dynamic Pack, and also the XKR 75. They're 28% stiffer front, 32% stiffer rear; ride height is 10mm lower. I find the 75's setup a good compromise between comfort and handling - firmer ride than a standard XKR, but not harsh like a GT-R. The car turns in well, there's not much roll (especially in Dynamic Mode) - it's not a race car, but it feels competent on the track. Traction is still an issue; the car has more torque than grip.

However, these cars all have revised front uprights and a special Active Dynamics tune for the dampers, so just strapping on the springs will not give you the R-S/Dynamic experience. I don't know of anyone that can change the Active Dynamics software - I'd love to, because I know the R-S tune is more advanced than mine, though the hardware is the same.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I've got a set for sale, $350 and their yours.

I put them on my 08 XKR that I have since sold. Comfort was the same with cats activated, ride was definitely stiffer and body roll was decreased as well.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can the dealer "tune" the dampers to xkr-s specifications?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think so - I believe the Jag diagnostic system is based on the VIN, so it will only download the software that has been approved for your car. The ECM tuners get around this restriction by using their own download system, but no-one seems to have bothered doing the same for the Active Damping Control Module.

Our problem is that there is not sufficient demand to make the effort worthwhile. Who would spend many man-hours figuring out how the ADCM software works, how to modify it and get the car to accept it, just to sell a very small number of upgrades? The software is only relevant if you already have the right hardware - most people that have the hardware are R-S or Dynamic Pack owners, and they already have the right software.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
I've got a set for sale, $350 and their yours.

I put them on my 08 XKR that I have since sold. Comfort was the same with cats activated, ride was definitely stiffer and body roll was decreased as well.
I am interested. Did they lower the height on yours as well?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I don't think so - I believe the Jag diagnostic system is based on the VIN, so it will only download the software that has been approved for your car. The ECM tuners get around this restriction by using their own download system, but no-one seems to have bothered doing the same for the Active Damping Control Module.

Our problem is that there is not sufficient demand to make the effort worthwhile. Who would spend many man-hours figuring out how the ADCM software works, how to modify it and get the car to accept it, just to sell a very small number of upgrades? The software is only relevant if you already have the right hardware - most people that have the hardware are R-S or Dynamic Pack owners, and they already have the right software.
So could someone just do a simple swap of ecu and ACDM?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Afraid not - everything in the damn car talks to everything else, and a lot of those conversations are authenticated, so that a component from a donor car has to be "introduced" to the components of the recipient using the diagnostic system. And, once it's installed, it will get the software build relevant to the recipient vehicle, not the donor.

I guess, if you took enough parts from the donor, and thus effectively swapped the donor VIN to the recipient, then you could get all the modules loaded with the software builds for the donor. But I'm not sure where I'd find enough modules from an R-S to put in mine to allow this to happen. I'm guessing, but I think at a minimum I'd need the ECM, TCM, Security module and instrument cluster (which is a module in its own right). And I'd need someone with the diagnostic system to handle all the installation & configuration processes.

Not impossible, just a hell of a lot of work for a small gain.

Last edited by Ngarara; 04-18-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I am interested. Did they lower the height on yours as well?
Unfortunately they do not lower the rear on pre 2010 xkr. The geometry on the rear axle on the 2010 plus models changed when they added the electronic diff. in essence angling the rear shocks somewhat so as these springs lower the 2010 plus by 10mm it actually stays the same height on pre 2010.

As fa as tuning these springs are noticeably stiffer than non xkr-s springs. This alone will provide sportier, stiffer handling. No tuning necessary, your actually getting physical stiffness and the shocks electronic dampening stays the same. As far as I know the shocks on the XKR and XKR-s are the same and tuned the same. The springs are what adds to the performance of the r-s by pure physics.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (04-23-2015)