XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR Supercharger Isolator - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XKR Supercharger Isolator - Advice Needed

Hello there, I'm seeking some advice. My 2011 XKR is currently at the dealer and the service advisor recommended I have the supercharger snout isolator changed. They quoted me $3800 for the job. My questions are, 1) Is this a repair that needs to be handled with urgency? If the isolator fails will it cause catastrophic damage? Can it fail? 2) How difficult would it be to replace this part myself? Does the supercharger need to be removed from the engine to perform this service? Thanks for any input and advice!

Old 08-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,173 Likes on 3,098 Posts

Holy crap that's a ton of $$$ for that job.
One thing though, you don't have your location so nobody knows which continent upon which you reside.
The 5.0 liter is a bit more difficult than the 4.2 to do supercharger stuff as the throttle body needs to be removed to get to it, but it certainly isn't an almost $4k job. The hardest part would probably be checking/changing the SC oil as the filler/drain is at the rear of the supercharger.
The torsion isolator will make a clattering noise when it gets worn, but it isn't a blow-up-in-your-face problem. It should be fixed when it needs though.
The part is fairly cheap and the work is straightforward and shouldn't take more than a few hours. Any cost over $1000 I'd say is excessive.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay I updated my location. Okay thanks for the information Cee Jay.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-02-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Holy crap that's a ton of $$$ for that job.
One thing though, you don't have your location so nobody knows which continent upon which you reside.
The 5.0 liter is a bit more difficult than the 4.2 to do supercharger stuff as the throttle body needs to be removed to get to it, but it certainly isn't an almost $4k job. The hardest part would probably be checking/changing the SC oil as the filler/drain is at the rear of the supercharger.
The torsion isolator will make a clattering noise when it gets worn, but it isn't a blow-up-in-your-face problem. It should be fixed when it needs though.
The part is fairly cheap and the work is straightforward and shouldn't take more than a few hours. Any cost over $1000 I'd say is excessive.
@Cee Jay you mentioned the torsion isolator making a clattering noise.. The SC on my 2010 XKR (~56,000 miles on the odometer) is also making a rattling noise. Sounds like a soup can rattling around inside a bigger coffee can (best way I can describe it). Could that be the same sound that you're describing? Trying to describe how each of us deciphers different sounds is one of the worst things about automobile troubleshooting isn't it? Anywho... I've been trying to track down this issue for a bit, and I'm wondering if this might be the culprit of the sound.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Could be the isolator, the water pump, alternator, AIP or the AC compressor. The easiest way to see exactly where the sound is coming from is to place a long enough piece of wood (or some similar thing) against each part and also against your ear (protected by your hand) and it'll be obvious from where the sound is emanating.

bgpenguin21 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 02:03 PM
Received 172 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey CeeJay, gotta raze you a little. CA is this side of the ocean altho where you're coming from, may need a passport. Thanks for your expertise in here. Jim

Cee Jay (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CA Jag
Hey CeeJay, gotta raze you a little. CA is this side of the ocean altho where you're coming from, may need a passport. Thanks for your expertise in here. Jim
BUT, since dude put that info in AFTER I stated such, it would have been a bit more difficult to ascertain that particular condition of presence.
How many oceans does the Earth have?
One, but it's just called different things in different places. It's all continuous and every body is accessible without touching land from every other body. Seas, however, usually necessitate using a canal or river-type thing to access.

ralphwg (08-05-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 02:24 PM
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Could be the isolator, the water pump, alternator, AIP or the AC compressor. The easiest way to see exactly where the sound is coming from is to place a long enough piece of wood (or some similar thing) against each part and also against your ear (protected by your hand) and it'll be obvious from where the sound is emanating.
Thanks for the quick response @Cee Jay. Let's say that I establish that the sound is coming from the SC, would the sound that I described be inline with how the torsion isolator sounds when it starts going bad?

Old 08-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
Thanks for the quick response @Cee Jay. Let's say that I establish that the sound is coming from the SC, would the sound that I described be inline with how the torsion isolator sounds when it starts going bad?
Yes, instead of a steady hum noise there would be some rattle or even some knocking heard. Against an ear it will become very apparent if there is a 'bad' noise or not.

bgpenguin21 (08-06-2023)