Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

For you golfers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default For you golfers

As I was looking in the show room yesterday the sales guy was trying to get me into an F-Type. I told him that although it was a cool car that I needed something that would take 2 golf bags. He then took me to the trunk and showed me 2 bags in the back of the F-Type. Good sales trip but the catch was you had no place for your shoes , lol. I also got in the car and for me it is to small in the drivers seat compared to the XK. Here is the picture if you can make it out.

Attached Thumbnails For you golfers-dsc00068.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I asked this question before, but never got a definitive answer. Has anyone been able to fit a small golf bag in the trunk of an XK with the top down?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I asked this question before, but never got a definitive answer. Has anyone been able to fit a small golf bag in the trunk of an XK with the top down?
The bags in the F-type were what I call "medium" carry bags and not a "cart" bag. I took the top bag from the F-Type in the picture and put it in the XKR Convert that I was test driving. There was no problem fitting it in and I suspect you could have put another on on top of it. It can also fit a "cart" bag without any trouble but you could fit another "medium " bag in the back seat. Now you have to remove the driver and maybe the 3-5 fairway woods but they fit in the same area. Your shoes can fit under the convert. cover . All this can be done with the top up or down.

The following users liked this post:
ndy.boyd (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

Yes I can get a full set of clubs and shoes in the trunk with the top down. I was going to buy a 06 because you can get 2 sets in. Once I drove the 08 and could get my clubs in I made my choice.

P.S. You have to take the driver out first and lay it down but no problem. If you want two sets in with the top down take the clubs out of the second bag and put them in the trunk and the bag fits in the back seat. If you are going for the weekend you may need to leave the top up until you get there to take all the luggage.
Jim

Summer is coming, Golf and the top down

ndy.boyd (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks guys. I thought maybe I'd have to toe them to the club.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
It takes a little maneuvering, but I can get both my clubs and my teenage son's clubs into the trunk with the top town. My bag is not one of those giant bags with 1000 pockets but still, it's a standard full size bag.

ndy.boyd (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM

This is great news. I like to keep a set in the car just in case I have a surprise road game. That way, I don't have to go to the club to pick up my bag. My car has been in hybernation almost since it arrived in November, so I haven't had an opportunity to see for myself. I read elsewhere that they wouldn't fit, so I was rather disappointed.

I love good news.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As I was looking in the show room yesterday the sales guy was trying to get me into an F-Type. I told him that although it was a cool car that I needed something that would take 2 golf bags. .......
I'm not a golfer but shouldn't there be some bats in those bags?

Graham

Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=GGG;936765]I'm not a golfer but shouldn't there be some bats in those bags?

Graham

LOL , yep and the irons fit with no problems . The issue at hand was whether the bag /s would fit. If they fit then the clubs would too. Wait was that English humor, lol. I used to do business with a company in Chislehurst Kent some years back and I had a lot of fun driving around the UK. A place called Sira Ltd.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Talking in the bag, out of the bag, put me in a body bag

Originally Posted by LstFord
Yes I can get a full set of clubs and shoes in the trunk with the top down. I was going to buy a 06 because you can get 2 sets in. Once I drove the 08 and could get my clubs in I made my choice.

P.S. You have to take the driver out first and lay it down but no problem. If you want two sets in with the top down take the clubs out of the second bag and put them in the trunk and the bag fits in the back seat. If you are going for the weekend you may need to leave the top up until you get there to take all the luggage.
Jim

Summer is coming, Golf and the top down
Is that the driver of the car that ya gotta lay down or the driver out of the bag or do ya have to be in the bag to even consider putting a Lynx tour bag in the trunk of an xkr. That would be my fiance

I couldnt stop laughing at my fiance when he thought he would be able to put a tour bag in the trunk of my xkr and when i found out he was seriously considering doing this: I asked him if he knew the difference between a body bag and a tour bag.

And then he wanted to put the bag in the make-believe back seat of my car with the top down.

We settled this peacefully when I offerd to cut a hole in the top of his 911 4s cabrio so that the clubs would fit in his car.

He still asks me now and then if I would really do that, and I ask him if he would really put a set of clubs in my xkr.. Beyond belief

Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm not a golfer but shouldn't there be some bats in those bags?

Graham

My fiance says you only put ballbats in a golf bag if you are Italian. He wouldnt explain the reason for this. Does anyone know the answer?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

This is precisely why I prefer convertibles that don't stow away into the trunk area as in the first series XK8/XKR. In my 2002R, not only can we get two cart bags with all the clubs inside the bag in, but all of my groceries at the same time as well. The trunk is cavernous. And I say this out of experience as I pick up my best friend of 55 years, every weekend to go golfing, and sometimes it's out of town, so we have other things packed in addition to the two bags, shoes,...
I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 XKR coupe just because, a) I love the look, b) I love the power, c) I want a car I can take to the track 2-4 times per year that is newer than my 42 year old Pantera, d) although my 2002 vert looks almost new, runs great, it is rapidly approaching 150,000 miles, and I'd like to keep it around as long as possible as I enjoy having it top down almost every day of the year here in sunny So Cal.

Attached Thumbnails For you golfers-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
I asked him if he knew the difference between a body bag and a tour bag.

SoCal Babe (03-21-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the reasons I settled for a new XKR 'vert rather than a F Type. Getting my wife's or pals clubs into the car other than holding them between their legs was of paramount importance.

XKR 2014 'Vert

Old 03-22-2014, 04:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I think it's the 'golf' thing with Jaguar. In Tata's eyes it's an image they want to lose.

For years Jaguar advertising has included the ability to 'fit two sets of clubs' in the luggage compartment. I recall this in all their UK publicity material starting even before the XJ6 Series I and continuing up to the end of the Ford ownership era.

Tata have stressed they are aiming at a newer and younger market. In the UK that means ditching anything linked to the '50 something, male, golf playing, gin drinking etc' demographic.

I do think the gradual reduction is useable carrying capacity in the 2 Door models we have witnessed from the XK8 through the XK and now the F-Type is a mistake but the buyers of the F-Type Convertible and Coupe will prove this right or wrong.

For me and my wife going on three week holidays across Europe, the load capacity of the XK is restrictive compared with the earlier model. Having viewed the F-Type Coupe (my next logical purchase), it's not even under consideration now for that reason alone.

Graham

SoCal Babe (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I think it's the 'golf' thing with Jaguar. In Tata's eyes it's an image they want to lose.

For years Jaguar advertising has included the ability to 'fit two sets of clubs' in the luggage compartment. I recall this in all their UK publicity material starting even before the XJ6 Series I and continuing up to the end of the Ford ownership era.

Tata have stressed they are aiming at a newer and younger market. In the UK that means ditching anything linked to the '50 something, male, golf playing, gin drinking etc' demographic.

I do think the gradual reduction is useable carrying capacity in the 2 Door models we have witnessed from the XK8 through the XK and now the F-Type is a mistake but the buyers of the F-Type Convertible and Coupe will prove this right or wrong.

For me and my wife going on three week holidays across Europe, the load capacity of the XK is restrictive compared with the earlier model. Having viewed the F-Type Coupe (my next logical purchase), it's not even under consideration now for that reason alone.

Graham

What no PIMM'S CUP . Oh you forgot the cigar thing ,

Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Nuffink wrong with Pimms, mate - our crew drinks it by the jug at Silverstone.

And I'm the only Jag owner; we also have Civic Type R, Suzuki Bandit 1200, and a non-driver (who is my excellent 'Ring copilot).

jagtoes (03-22-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting two golf bags (carry) into the trunk of the XKR vert was an important part of my buying decision. I really wanted it to work, so I made it happen. Now, it is simply too much effort, so the next best thing is to convert the faux rear seats into luggage space for the 2nd bag.