XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

You "might" not be a good match for the XK/XKR if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default You "might" not be a good match for the XK/XKR if...

If you need a real back seat... you're definitely not a good match for the XK. Consider the exquisitely finished area behind the front seats to be more intended for smallish personal articles, rather than people much larger than a laptop. The XK is a GT in the finest tradition, with some competing manufacturers only offering a patch of carpet back there.

If you've ever experienced a truly great factory navigation system, and you demand the best, I've been told this isn't one of them...so you're probably not a good match for the XK. I may have had an advantage over many of you because this was my first exposure to such a thing, and I actually liked it. I've only used mine for one trip, but found it intuitive to program, easy to use, and impressively effective at threading me through a 3 hour twisted maze of country back roads...but it could be sub-par and I don't even know it. I guess ignorance is bliss!

If you like a lot of switches and buttons to use for instant access to critical functions instead of an info screen with multiple layers of menus to flip through...I'm thinking you're probably not a good match for the XK. Anyone who has ever tried to adjust the phantom centre image of the audio's digital sound processor on the fly knows exactly what I'm talking about. The Porsche Panamera...now that's a car with at least one switch for every vehicle function. All neatly arranged in multiple rows and banks of elegant switches, thoughtfully duplicated for both flight engineer and master switch activator.

To be continued...there are others who definitely might be unsuited to XK/XKR ownership for various other reasons, and your assistance in listing them here will be undoubtedly appreciated by those considering the purchase of one of these cars in the future.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 01-16-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You might not be a good match for the XK/XKR if:

...you don't like having people look at you as you drive down the street.

...you don't like being challenged to race at every light.

...you like to race folk at the lights but you already have a bunch of points on your licence.

...you are prone to spilling coffee in whatever car you drive.

...you expect the Bluetooth to be compatible with the cellphone you already have.

...you don't like paying over $400 for a set of tyres.

...you get really paranoid when driving a car with no temperature gauge.

...you like to top off when filling a car with fuel. (Why's that Check Engine light on?)

..you expect all the controls for the cruise control to behave like they do on most cars where decelerate sets the speed and accelerate also acts as resume. (First class piece of Jaguar being different for the sake of it)

...you don't see why you should have to push on the brake to start a car already in Park with the parking brake on. (Nanny state gone mad)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

You might not be a good match for the XK/XKR if:

You want a cushy ride. It seems those damn baby-boomers have been at it again, trading away cush, and demanding high performance in everything they drive... including station wagons and SUV with over 500 hp that have been tested at the Nurburgring. High performance and vehicle control is the minimum standard in luxury classes, and it's filtering down fast. The '09 I tested, and '10 XKR I bought, both have a remarkable ride quality, and combined with a vault-tight chassis that's absolutely rattle and flex-free, must set the standard in this class...or come awfully close. Could be the new cush...but understandably not the old.

You expect Lexus reliability. Unfortunately you won't find that on any other luxury brands. So unless you can find a drop-dead gorgeous Lexus model that you can't imagine living without then you're going to have to get over that expectation. I'm not sure considering an expensive and low production car with electric motors, switches, relays, sensors, and computers that power and control everything including 16 way adjustable seats, electronic dampers, navigation/info system, and a folding roof that stows itself is the best way to stack the deck in your favor, but the XK models do seem awfully reliable. How can that be?

And you really might not be a good match for the XK/XKR if your exhaustive internet research through dozens of reviews by reputable automotive journalists, and dozens of comparison reviews against every possible competitor, has led you to this forum where you have years of detailed and over-whelmingly positive ownership experience ...and you then ask those perfect strangers whether they think you should buy the XK or 911 (or others ranging from similar to not even close). Now call me naive, but I'm thinking there's something wrong with that picture, and I'm afraid the coin toss may be next! (Okay, I'm kidding...ask away since some members may have personal experience with both and be able to offer good insight).

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 01-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bart_redline99 (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 2010 XK, so these are nits ...

The one that bothers me most often is that there is too much emphasis on the touch screen. For example, there are no dedicated music buttons: if you have the Nav on (I like having a map showing), it's hard to get to music. You can tab through the Sources and go up/down within a source, but that's it, as I remember. Most cars have some buttons that allow direct access to favorite stations. I miss that.

The touchscreen in general lags.

Man, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else ... It's low, so my knees hurt a bit getting in/out, but that's ohms ...

I would like to have a back-up camera. It would be a $50 upgrade ...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might not be an XK/XKR match if you expect to get your car serviced like a Chevy or Ford. I live in the St Louis metro area and the nearest Jag dealer is 190 miles away in - get this Peoria Il.

I thought that since the vast majority of components on my 08 were designed by Ford that my local Ford dealer would be ready/willing and able to service my XK. No soap. Service Manager wanted nothing to do with it.

So if/when my 08 needs something other oil and tires I'm screwed.

Tom

PS: and to have to remove the front left tire and inner fender panel to change the air filter is criminal. The mind is willing but the body isn't.

Last edited by TomServo; 01-16-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
...you don't see why you should have to push on the brake to start a car already in Park with the parking brake on. (Nanny state gone mad)

I actually like that feature.

My four yr old son - I open the doors, fling my jacket into the back seat (with the key fob in it), fasten my son into the front, and walk around. Whilst I am walking around he is busily pressing the start button...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might not be an XK/XKR match if you expect the switchgear to reflect the overall quality of the car; especially the gear selector, its a rubbish, cheap *** plastic piece of garbage.

Last edited by Ha66is; 01-18-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

You "might" not be a good match for the XK/XKR if you really care that all your jealous Prious driving friends claim they would never want to own such an "unreliable" car...