XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Size That Matters

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size That Matters

Hello I am a new member to the forum and am looking to buy a XK to restore and would like some help on size and space.
I am 6 foot 2 inches and have sat in a 120 roadster but it is a bit too small for my frame, and more than 100 miles would kill me, however I have not had the opportunity to sit in the 140 or 150 –
Would I get into a 140 or a 150 roadster or is the DHC a bigger car, and more comfortable for long journeys.
I am erring to the DHC simply because there looks like more storage for the occasional tour into Europe.
Any feedback would be appreciated so I can narrow down the right size car for me.
Marc

Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My experience is limited to XK120 and 140 roadsters.

I'm not sure if the 140 is supposed to be bigger or roomier according to the spec sheet but I find both to be equally uncomfortable and awkward to drive.... and I'm 5 inches shorter than you. Perhaps I'm just too accustomed to modern-ish cars and more time behind the wheel would change my opinion.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default joy of driving an XK

Chime !! oh happy day when I drove my XK120 OTS from San Luis Obispo up the Big Sur Calif Hwy 1 on a crisp clear October day, across the Golden Gate bridge and on to Sonoma.,.,a long great day in the XK, me as comfy as a clam in its shell. BUT..terrified of other drivers !!..I drive with Simpson competition lap and double shoulder belts pulled tight..but other than the big Jag box frame there is no collision safety equipment or engineering for collision. One must watch out as if driving a motorcycle, totally defensive driving. Anyway find some to sit in..to each his own. I have been able to fit sufficient into the boot (trunk) for several night trips, including my tools, spares, cleaning bag, with some creative packing using every nook and cranny..even a tent and sleeping bag...this in an OTS.
Nick

Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 140 was supposed to provide some more room than the 120, however I'm not sure of all the exact specs. My dad is a large-ish 6'0" and was fine in our 140 OTS when he had it. As another user pointed out it's no modern car with 18 way adjustable seats, it is what it is.

I don't know that the DHC/FHC gives you much more luggage room? The DHC gives you more "practicality" if that is of great concern in a 60 year old car, as well as a more luxurious interior (wood trim). The main benefit is roll up windows, a top that goes easily up and down, and exterior door handles.

The OTS is really not intended for "hood-up" driving.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mackguy
I think the 140 was supposed to provide some more room than the 120, however I'm not sure of all the exact specs. My dad is a large-ish 6'0" and was fine in our 140 OTS when he had it. As another user pointed out it's no modern car with 18 way adjustable seats, it is what it is.

I don't know that the DHC/FHC gives you much more luggage room? The DHC gives you more "practicality" if that is of great concern in a 60 year old car, as well as a more luxurious interior (wood trim). The main benefit is roll up windows, a top that goes easily up and down, and exterior door handles.

The OTS is really not intended for "hood-up" driving.
I've never driven a 140, but I have sat in one. I found it to be *A LOT* more comfortable driving position than the 120. I'm about 5'11" and feel that I'm about as tall as one can be and still drive a 120 "comfortably" ("comfortably" being very relative....). Based on just sitting in the 140, I would expect it to be comfortable even for taller drivers.

As for the OTS and "hood-up" driving - I couldn't agree more! I've gotten caught out in rain storms and sometimes it seems as if it's raining as hard *inside* the car as it is outside! It is not the least bit "weather proof" and is just marginally "weather resistant"!