XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voltage Regulator

Hello,

Been a while since a made a post. I cannot seem to get my voltage regulator set to service manual specs. I was reading some post about folks who have switched out the generator with an alternator with a built in regulator. I understand this requires doing some sort of bypass on the stock regulator.

A couple questions?

what are the pros and cons of doing this and are there any solid state after marker stock like voltage regulators?

any input appreciated.

James.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Alternator

Hello,

No there is no solid state replacement available for the original regulator.

Converted both my old Jags now ( XK150 and original S-type)

Pros: you can use a electric cooling Fan and standard Radio, electric equipment.

Cons: orginality, ( but there are Alternators available that look like the original genarator ) and you will be switching to Neg earth ( but the Xk equipment does not care about polatity )

Regards,
Peter jan

Old 06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK voltage regulator/gen options

Original regulators can of course be rebuilt, but There ARE options..there ARE solid state rebuilds within the shell of the original regulator and same can be done for the generator, tho a generator rebuild can be done rather easily..best to COMPLETELY rebuild a generator including armature. Some minor re-wiring may need to be done for the orig type regulator conversion as the orig was also a fuse box/relay. Look on line..and look at Wilton Electronics for solid state, and Star Auto Electric, Monrovia CA for Generator rebuilding ...among others. Another option but not orig..with some re-wiring for the fuses and the wiring that was on an original Lucas RF95, a simple old Ford regulator can be used..needs to be the right circuit type for the original generator circuit type..this option yields a $35 dollar regulator avail at any autoparts store.