XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ABS Control Module fix.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another ABS Control Module fix.

Hi Everyone,

Well new to jaguarforums.com and novice on fixing cars. Do know the difference between a wrench and spanner. One was made overseas. hahahha.

Anyways!
ABS Module is kicking my rear end. Seriously the ABS light will not go out!

History:
Car had a old hacked or modifed ABS module. How do I know? Well it had silicon all around the control module as if some opened it before. (refurbished?)
I purchased from ebay for $200 the pump and ABS control module. LNF2210AD. That was on the part number when I bought the car. BTW I just bought the car.

I have left the car unattached to battery for over 2 hours. ABS light did not go out. Even worse the engine light came on.

So I review my procedures for the removal of the ABS module.

I had to remove the hydro stems from the top of the assembly to insert the ABS module. (now I know that is bad because I have air in my brake lines)

Ok so I went over to the O'Reilly's Part store and got loaner Innova 3120LaT computer.

Ok guys, I have a college degree. Computer certifications out of the ying yang. But this computer is crap!

I could not take it into enhanced mode. But here are the codes:
P1637
P1111
Can Link FCM / ABS
Control Module
Circuit / Network

Little Led lights:
MIS FVE CCM CAT EVA O2S MTR. Only CCM and MTR remanded steady after an erase.

Flashmemory - FCCP Monitoring / Malfunction.

Ok help please. Greatly appreciated.
Also is there a link or way to clear out the codes without an mechanic?

Thanks in advance,
James

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

A typical ABS fault is the cable to the sensor breaking, very common, I would check them first. And get yourself an OBDII reader

The following users liked this post:
piju1945 (10-19-2015)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gameblaster1
Also is there a link or way to clear out the codes without an mechanic?

Thanks in advance,
James
I believe that you can reset the codes with a good ODBII scan tool. One that several like is a software version, Autoenginuity. A bit expensive, but you can do everything under the sun with it, and seeing that you are appear to be a computer geek, I figure you would love that route.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Have you tried the easy stuff first, or did you go straight to the ABS module? The 1637 might be on because you removed the module.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Do the part numbers match for your old ABS and this one? I would be wary of putting a different module on there, most owners just send theirs off to be rebuilt...and if its that sloppy looking, good chance it wasn't done by a professional, and possibly botched the first attempt.

I'd send your old one in to get 'evaluated' (do a search for threads with company name and contact info), while your goofing with the new one. The ABS light will go off when you fix the problem, no clearing it 'at will'. The check engine light, however, can be cleared with any decent, communicating OBDII reader, as mentioned a couple times above. g'luck!

Nicholas Morgan (02-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Gameblaster: I'm also experiencing a P1637 code.

The P1637 code can be a simple fix--or very complicated. It can be a CAN cable problem to the ECM, an ABS sensor or module problem, a ECM problem, a DSC problem or a TCM problem. A Brake stop switch is another notorious cause of ABS lights. Wiring problems can be cut wires, shortages, polarity problems, connector pins bent/shorted out . . . .

My gameplan: 1. New brake pads and rotors (needed anyway) 2. Clean the ABS sensors, 3. Pull the ABS module and solder the two places on circuit board 4. Replace the Brake stop switch ($70). If problem not solved by then, I'll take car for full OBDII/CAN diagnosis.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bamaman
Gameblaster: I'm also experiencing a P1637 code.

The P1637 code can be a simple fix--or very complicated. It can be a CAN cable problem to the ECM, an ABS sensor or module problem, a ECM problem, a DSC problem or a TCM problem. A Brake stop switch is another notorious cause of ABS lights. Wiring problems can be cut wires, shortages, polarity problems, connector pins bent/shorted out . . . .

My gameplan: 1. New brake pads and rotors (needed anyway) 2. Clean the ABS sensors, 3. Pull the ABS module and solder the two places on circuit board 4. Replace the Brake stop switch ($70). If problem not solved by then, I'll take car for full OBDII/CAN diagnosis.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.
Good plan. I don't think you need to replace the brake switch, however. The brake pedal activates two switches on a little metal bracket buried in the dashboard behind the brake pedal. One switch turns on the brake lights and the other deactivates the cruise control. If your lights and cruise control are working properly, I don't think you have a problem with the brake switches. If you do have a problem with either one, I'd move the switch replacement to the front of the line.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Reverend Sam:

As I understand it, the brake switch connects thru the ECM. It seems to be a pretty pesky little piece--with its two $1.50 switches. The P1637 code also automatically disengages the cruise control--via ECM. Ultiimately, the ECM controls so many functions on XK8's, and unfortunately it's such a high dollar item to address--even if it's remanufactured.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

I had a problem with one of my two brake switches. I removed the switch assembly and repaired the switch. On the dashboard display I would get two errors. I forget the exact wording of them, but is was something like "Cruise control not available" and "Check taillights". They would both always come on at the same time. The switches are wired up in such a way so that one switch is normally closed and the other one is normally open. When the ECM sees both switches open or both switches closed at the same time it doesn't know if the brake pedal is being pressed or not. It's smart enough to know that both switches are not supposed to be in the same state at the same time, but it doesn't know which one of the two aren't working. Since it doesn't know which switch is malfunctioning, you get both messages.

If you aren't getting the "cruise not available/check tail lights" message, I doubt the problem is with the switch. Anything is possible, but that would be one of the last things I would troubleshoot, especially since the switch is so difficult to reinstall. (hint: when reinstalling the switch start the engine and press down on the brake pedal. I tried to do it without starting the engine and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the switch bracket back in place. I even removed the driver's seat so I could lay on my back looking up behind the brake pedal.)

The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
JimmyL (12-13-2018), oldmots (03-15-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Rev:

I caught your earlier messages about the switch. Think yow fast you'll be able to do the next switch replacement, however.

I still have not figured out how to block down the pedal with a stick--and have enough room to get up in there to move the switch around.

It sounds as if a second set of eyes is needed to look at the firewall to see the holes. You know, working with my wife on mechanics just doesn't work so well. That's why I put the brake switch on the back end of my task list.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Very interesting, I had the same thing happen about a week ago (check tailights, cruise not avail), When I restarted the car later, the problem was gone. Now I know where to look. I guess that the next issue I'll be dealing with. I'm glad you mentioned it, it will save some research time.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Rev:

I caught your earlier messages about the switch. Think yow fast you'll be able to do the next switch replacement, however.

I still have not figured out how to block down the pedal with a stick--and have enough room to get up in there to move the switch around.

It sounds as if a second set of eyes is needed to look at the firewall to see the holes. You know, working with my wife on mechanics just doesn't work so well. That's why I put the brake switch on the back end of my task list.
I did the swap in less than 1/2 hour with my reluctant girlfriend.

Here's the trick, grab 2 bamboo skewers from the kitchen and pass each through the holes from the topside and have her hold them. From below, you can easily feel your way to the holes without seeing them She can start the nuts to hold it in place. The switch will slide into place around the brake pedal "trigger", it dosen't have to move very much at all to make clearance. Mine went in the first time without my drama drama.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spurlee
I did the swap in less than 1/2 hour with my reluctant girlfriend.

Here's the trick, grab 2 bamboo skewers from the kitchen and pass each through the holes from the topside and have her hold them. From below, you can easily feel your way to the holes without seeing them She can start the nuts to hold it in place. The switch will slide into place around the brake pedal "trigger", it dosen't have to move very much at all to make clearance. Mine went in the first time without my drama drama.
I'll have to do it one day when my wife is at work. She'd get mad if she knew my girlfriend was at the house.

The following 3 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
bjrdunn (10-21-2017), JimmyL (12-13-2018), khlee (08-20-2020)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldmots
Very interesting, I had the same thing happen about a week ago (check tailights, cruise not avail), When I restarted the car later, the problem was gone. Now I know where to look. I guess that the next issue I'll be dealing with. I'm glad you mentioned it, it will save some research time.
On mine, turning the engine off cleared the error message, but as soon as I stepped on the brake pedal it would come back. Your switch is probably intermittent right now, but soon you'll have the error continuously.

And... yes, I made a video of the repair, but there was so much cussing and griping and yelling that I deleted the video. Seriously! I just couldn't get the two studs to go into the two holes while at the same time getting the little finger that sticks out from the side of the brake pedal lever to go into the notch in the switch assembly.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

when I do these switches I just replace the switch and plastic housing, not the metal bracket. piece of cake, 15 minutes.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

See if the attached procedure helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABS Sheet.pdf (97.2 KB, 2054 views)
The following 5 users liked this post by Gus:
Bamaman (03-10-2011), EZDriver (08-01-2018), Fla Steve (03-14-2011), Gameblaster1 (03-11-2011), piju1945 (10-19-2015)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll have to do it one day when my wife is at work. She'd get mad if she knew my girlfriend was at the house.
A much needed laugh. Thanks Sam.

piper 888 (05-19-2021)
Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Reverend Sam:

As I understand it, the brake switch connects thru the ECM. It seems to be a pretty pesky little piece--with its two $1.50 switches. The P1637 code also automatically disengages the cruise control--via ECM. Ultiimately, the ECM controls so many functions on XK8's, and unfortunately it's such a high dollar item to address--even if it's remanufactured.
Cruise control works.

I was only able work on the front end of the XK8 this weekend.

Front brakes are new and resurfaced the rotors.
Clean Sensor attached to the ABS.

Did not have time to try ABS reset from Gus. Will try that after work tomorrow. Kida and wife are sick.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Man on my 97 XK8 I had several similar issues with my car, warning lights for all kinds of things. Cruise control light on the button would flash for no good reason, failure this, failure that, abs, gearbox fault. 97 known for ECM issues. Soooo on a whim I sent out the ECM, rebuilt for 400 bucks, car been running fine for months now since that fix and it is drien fairly often. Just a thought. Don't know what year your car is.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Default Don't know what year your car is

Originally Posted by brgjag
Man on my 97 XK8 I had several similar issues with my car, warning lights for all kinds of things. Cruise control light on the button would flash for no good reason, failure this, failure that, abs, gearbox fault. 97 known for ECM issues. Soooo on a whim I sent out the ECM, rebuilt for 400 bucks, car been running fine for months now since that fix and it is drien fairly often. Just a thought. Don't know what year your car is.
Hi brgjag,

My Jag is a XK8 2002. I will keep that in mind. I have not tried everything. Work it keeping from taking enough time to look at the problem. However, I have check the fuses and replaced the module to no effect. I have ABS light on with Trac and ACS warnings.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another ABS Control Module fix.