XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 XK8 crazy codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 crazy codes

My 97 XK8 is at the body shop getting dolled up for the All British car day this weekend in Dallas and the BS owner called me and said the car was running rough and the ce light came on, When he got back to the shop he scanned it and had every non emission code there is show up about 10 to 15 codes including driver and front seat,ABS module, ECM transmission several codes Instrument cluster, a couple showed more than once. I had the ECM rebuilt about 300 miles 6 months ago and the car has been running great. I do notice than when the car sits for awhile when I first start it the ABS and CE light are on start up but if I drive a few miles and restart the cat they go out and every thing is fine.

I have been reading this forum since I bought this car about six years ago and I I have not seen a problem quite like this. This is the Best user group on the Net, and I'm pretty sure I would not own two Jag's if you guys weren't so good. I'm feeling pretty good that I wont have to trailer her home, my optomistic guess is a bad connection some where but I know in my heart you guys have the answer.

Thanks a Bunch

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

The ABS warning light going on and off is probably the module, which will log a code c1095, which can be fixed without replacing the module, if there are other codes logged in ABS, its most likely a speed sensor and link lead.

The other codes could mean a multitude of things depending on what the codes are, can you post the codes.

Does the engine stay running rough or does it go away? Do the warnings come up every time you start it now while at the Body Shop, or does it alternate when cycling the ignition? Last, what's the state of the battery?

The following users liked this post:
charliepace (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
My 97 XK8 is at the body shop getting dolled up for the All British car day this weekend in Dallas and the BS owner called me and said the car was running rough and the ce light came on, When he got back to the shop he scanned it and had every non emission code there is show up about 10 to 15 codes including driver and front seat,ABS module, ECM transmission several codes Instrument cluster, a couple showed more than once. I had the ECM rebuilt about 300 miles 6 months ago and the car has been running great. I do notice than when the car sits for awhile when I first start it the ABS and CE light are on start up but if I drive a few miles and restart the cat they go out and every thing is fine.

I have been reading this forum since I bought this car about six years ago and I I have not seen a problem quite like this. This is the Best user group on the Net, and I'm pretty sure I would not own two Jag's if you guys weren't so good. I'm feeling pretty good that I wont have to trailer her home, my optomistic guess is a bad connection some where but I know in my heart you guys have the answer.

Thanks a Bunch
I'm assuming all was well when you brought the car into the BS?
If so, is there a chance they drained the battery while working on it? Low / weak batteries create some scary stuff on these cars.

charliepace (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM

Thanks Guys the Battery getting run down rings a big bell, it has been there about two weeks and I always keep it on a battery tender. I'll report back.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

+1 battery

A fair number of those codes may be old, too.

charliepace (04-26-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM

Picked up the car today and all is good. Charging the battery was all that was needed.
Thanks for all the help.

JagV8 (04-28-2017)