XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 XK8 ECM cooling fan noise

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 ECM cooling fan noise

Hey all:

I have a 1997 XK8, 28000 miles. It has been garaged and is in just about perfect condition. Just recently, the ECM cooling fan has started making noise. I know it is this fan by pulling the fuse for it. My question is; how is the fan accessed? Is it a difficult job? I believe that something has just become lodged in the fan blade path, but if the job isn't too daunting, I will fix/replace it myself.

Thanks for any input
Henry

Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

The fan is fairly easy to access. With the hood open, remove the decorative cover from the passenger side cowel compartment. Tucked under the cowel you will see a large plastic box with a cover secured by 4 torx bolts. Remove those bolts, and the cover. Inside that box are the ECUs for the engine & transmission. The one for the trans is in front, and it can be removed with the big connector attached. This will allow space to remove the engine ECU which I think can also be removed without disconnecting the electrical connectors. If you need to disconnect them, I would suggest disconnecting the battery negative terminal first. Once the engine ECU is out, you will see the fan. Good luck, and let us know what you find to be the problem!

John

The following users liked this post:
nthanker (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIJohn
Welcome to the forum!

The fan is fairly easy to access. With the hood open, remove the decorative cover from the passenger side cowel compartment. Tucked under the cowel you will see a large plastic box with a cover secured by 4 torx bolts. Remove those bolts, and the cover. Inside that box are the ECUs for the engine & transmission. The one for the trans is in front, and it can be removed with the big connector attached. This will allow space to remove the engine ECU which I think can also be removed without disconnecting the electrical connectors. If you need to disconnect them, I would suggest disconnecting the battery negative terminal first. Once the engine ECU is out, you will see the fan. Good luck, and let us know what you find to be the problem!

John
John!
Thanks so much for the input. I was hoping that was the path to the fan. I did find the ECM and the four torx bolts, but I don't have any tools there yet nor was I sure how to proceed. I was afraid it was going to be one of those hard access jobs; i.e. likefrom the passenger compartment, through the glove box, etc. Wasn't going to go there. I will probably buy a fan just in case it does need replacement;from absolute time in the car, not running time.
Again, thanks for the quick reply.
Nice car to drive on those winding roads up there with the top down.

Henry