XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 xk8 rear differential compatible with any other years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 xk8 rear differential compatible with any other years?

I am looking to replace my rear differential on my 1997 xk8 and can't find any in that exact year . I would like to know if any other years or models would work?
I live in Alaska USA and I have never even seen another xk8 or xkr up here.
There are two rear differentials currently on EBay for 1998 xk8 and I want to buy one ,but can't find out if they are compatible.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, please register at the new member area.New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
I'm surprised no one has answered you yet. To the best of my knowledge there is no change to the XK8 differential in later years, but if I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me.
Having a 97, I have to ask if the water pump and secondary chain tensioners have been replaced.
RJ______________
97 XK8 86K mi

The following users liked this post:
Shane (09-07-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only owned the xk8 for a couple years and the people I bought it from said 'I don't know if it's true' maybe some one on this form might have heard of this? While I was doing my pre-buy inspection on this 97 xk8 I was told the original motor had been replaced at 50k by jaugar because of the high sulphur content in American fuel. They then showed me a metal plate riveted on the back of the Motor just above the bell housing that said ' jaguar exchange program'. This is what came on the new motor!
So that would put the new motor at 45k when I bought it.
I runs awesome !! I put it in the air and not a spec of oil, coolant or anything... So I bought it , and little did I know that it is very rare in this part of the world! I fell in love with this car 'more than my 2010 Porsche spyder'! It is sooo comfortable, fast , and fuel effeciant .
I have custom installed an apple iPad flush into the dash and re-painted it . But unfortunately I recently got that rear hum and I have spoken to Azeteg 'a fellow jag form member ' and he sent me a video/sound clip and my noise is identical to his . The rear pinion bearing is going bad I'm mechanically inclined to do it myself, but I own a body&paint shop and I don't want to tie up shop space to take it apart to make sure that is the problem. So I would just rather order a whole new rear diff to have it in and out. I've ran it in up in the air on a lift and the noise is comming from the front center of the diff. Now on other hand , if I knew the exact bearing,part# I would just order it, but I was told that it uses shims and the only person to do the job right is in the Netherlands . So that is my situation . And I greatly appreciate your promt reply To my first post RJ237... Makes me feel welcomed to be here!!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I agree that swapping the diff. is a good choice, as long as the replacement holds up, but I seriously doubt that the only person that can rebuild it is in the Netherlands. Several forum members have done this work themselves, so try doing a search.
As to the engine, I have a friend with a 97 and his also has a replacement engine. We recently took the valve covers off and found 2nd gen tensioners, so we replaced them with the all metal body 3rd gen. It's worth a look to see what you have.
RJ________________
97 XK8 86K mi

The following users liked this post:
Shane (09-08-2012)