XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Jaguar XK8 - Engine cut out on motorway!! Will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 1998 Jaguar XK8 - Engine cut out on motorway!! Will not start!

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on my 1998 Jaguar XK8.

Whilst driving down the motorway my Jaguar lost all engine power and completely cut out. After being recovered the mechanic took a look at the engine oil to find it was extremely low. Now, the low oil pressure light only came on once the engine had failed, and the oil gauge was always in the central position whilst driving. The car was serviced in July 2015 and since then it has done a little under 2000 miles. I park the car in a single spot outside my house and have never seen a single spot of leaking oil. I have never had any smoke coming from the engine or excess smoke from the exhaust system so am led to believe it has not been burning off. This leads me to believe that the oil was not correctly topped up when the vehicle was last serviced.

I topped the oil up and left the engine overnight, i returned the following morning and the oil gauge is still sitting in red even though i have refilled the engine oil. when i turn the ignition the engine doesn't even turn over.

Im under the impression that the engine has unfortunately seized, however I'm not a mechanic, I'm confused as to why the oil gauge is still showing in the low, and was wondering if this could be inhibiting the engine starting?

Just after some advice, could i remove the positive battery terminal to reset the ECU and remove the low oil fault? if this is even a contributing factor?

Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!

1998 Jaguar XK8 - 92,000

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The oil pressure gauge doesn't measure the actual level of oil. It doesn't even really measure pressure. Its fake and only goes to the middle of the gauge if there is more than 5 psi or so when the engine is turning. It will always be pegged left with the light on with the motor not turning.
How much oil did it need to top it off? If the oil level dropped enough to seize the engine the pressure should have dropped enough to trip the fake gauge and light.
When you try the ignition does the starter solenoid click?

Dave

Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Hi Dave,

I topped the engine with 4L of oil as advised by the mechanic, with the intention of starting the engine, letting is circulate, settle and topping it up further if required.

When i turn the ignition you can hear the solenoid click and then the car loosed all power, almost like the starter is shorting because it can't spin.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Others with more knowledge will be along soon but ...................

The oil gauge isn't really a gauge at all - it's basically eye-candy. It's either 'on' or 'off'. Until the engine is running, it will be 'off' so forget that as any indication of the nature of your problem.
If you're not a mechanic, I think you need to find one who will put a wrench (spanner) on the crankshaft pulley bolt and try to turn the engine over by hand. If it will turn, the engine isn't seized - if it won't turn, you engine is, as they say, probably 'toast'. Personally, I think it unlikely that the engine has seized, but I think you need to make establishing that fact the first priority.
When the engine "cut out" - did the car sort-of 'coast' to a stop whilst still in "D" - if so - your engine hasn't seized. 1998 cars had a problem with the throttle body leading to exactly this situation - happened to me at 80mph on the M5 motorway near Exeter. However, once stopped, ignition off, on again, car re-started which is obviously not your experience.
Could be major electrical failure, could be the 'inertia' switch, could be one of the main power fuses in the boot (trunk), could be .................................. ??
No disrespect Adey, but unless you are reasonably competent with some basic tools, I suggest you may need experienced help. Do you have AA or other breakdown membership - if so, they could at least rule out the obvious, and maybe get you to a garage. Are you near Penge in South London - there's an excellent Jaguar Independent (Trevor) who will be a lot less expensive than a "proper" Jaguar dealership.
Cheers,
David.

PS ............. afterthought. Is the battery in good condition and 100% charged - often the cause of non-start issues.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-31-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM

Ok looks like ill rule out the oil gauge as a contributing factor.

Im based in Kingston so not a million miles away from Penge, I think ill kindly ask the garage close by to attempt to spin the crank tomorrow and update the thread with the outcome. The car did coast in D after the engine cut out so hopefully the engine isn't seized which would be a relief!

No offence taken, i think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take the car in to be look at properly. The battery was replaced a couple of months ago, as well as the alternator; all the electrics are working roof etc. i think ill disconnect the battery and drip charge it as well at checking all of the cars fuses, this along with getting the crank spun should at lease eliminate some possible faults.

Thanks for you help!