Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Jaguar XK8 fog light switches and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1999 Jaguar XK8 fog light switches and brake lights

Hello to all fellow members,

my 1999 xk8 convertible was sitting for awhile, I finally got around to go for a ride today, so I went and jump started it and ran it for awhile til the idle stabilized and everything was normal, then I shut it off, waited, then restarted it again.

I then went for a ride and after a few miles I noticed my brake lights and the one at top of the trunk were on constantly, so I parked and checked the relay and it of course was warm to hot .

Not knowing what to do about it I decided it would be best if I just went home quickly to park it and shut it off before the relay gets too hot.

I then thought that maybe that's what the rear fog lights are since I never heard of rear fog lights before, so I thought if I shut them off it would solve the issue, but I then noticed, with engine running and headlights on, that my fog light switches also weren't working anymore, when I pressed them the orange button lights didn't come on anymore and the fog lights of course didn't come on either.

Can the problem be as simple as a fuse or two?

Are these 2 issues related?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 06-12-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a relay in the fuse box on the left side of the dash, this was loose on my UK spec car, pushing it back solved exactly the issue you describe.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bass-man
There is a relay in the fuse box on the left side of the dash, this was loose on my UK spec car, pushing it back solved exactly the issue you describe.

checked it today, but that didn't solve it.

Thanks for trying, much appeciated!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
Hello to all fellow members,

my 1999 xk8 convertible was sitting for awhile, I finally got around to go for a ride today, so I went and jump started it and ran it for awhile til the idle stabilized and everything was normal, then I shut it off, waited, then restarted it again.

I then went for a ride and after a few miles I noticed my brake lights and the one at top of the trunk were on constantly, so I parked and checked the relay and it of course was warm to hot .

Not knowing what to do about it I decided it would be best if I just went home quickly to park it and shut it off before the relay gets too hot.

I then thought that maybe that's what the rear fog lights are since I never heard of rear fog lights before, so I thought if I shut them off it would solve the issue, but I then noticed, with engine running and headlights on, that my fog light switches also weren't working anymore, when I pressed them the orange button lights didn't come on anymore and the fog lights of course didn't come on either.

Can the problem be as simple as a fuse or two?

Are these 2 issues related?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Sid

UPDATE!!!

After reading another post at this site link shown below, it turns out the brake issue was due to the brake switch not being lined up properly with the brake pedals horizontal bar that meets with the switch actuator/release and a simple adjustment did the trick.

The link with pics and instructions:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-37758/

any info about resolving the fog light issue would be appreciated...

Thanks again!