XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 xk8 conv restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 xk8 conv restoration

I am looking for some assistance in where to get interior for a 99 xk8 i am restoring for my daughters 16 birthday. I would like to have seats and carpet replaced Found seat covers on ebay not sure quality trim code is agd Carpet seems to be a problem finding. I also need the seat switch for the drivers side knob has been broken off. I would appreciate any and all info to help with restore 30 days to complete including paint.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I would post a request on car-part.com

There are lots of XK8 parts in yards around the country looking for a home.

Thirty days? Wow! good luck.

I would start a 16 year old in an old Volvo. If they both survive the XK8 would make a good 18th birthday present and you could drive it in the mean time.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Ray
This company has most of the upholstery kits for your car. I see they discontinued the carpet sets until they develop new molds.
http://www.worlduph.com/jag7.htm

Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Ray, I don't want to be a buzz-kill, but probably the most important thing to do is to make sure the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. The originals were plastic and tended to fail, which then caused the valves to smack into the pistons and create all sorts of havoc. If it happens you'll be lucky to get off with an expensive repair. If you're unlucky it requires a whole new engine.

If you can't find all new carpeting, perhaps new floor mats would suffice. There's a thread on floor mats that's up near the top of the XK8 page right now.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Ray, I don't want to be a buzz-kill, but probably the most important thing to do is to make sure the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. The originals were plastic and tended to fail, which then caused the valves to smack into the pistons and create all sorts of havoc. If it happens you'll be lucky to get off with an expensive repair. If you're unlucky it requires a whole new engine.

If you can't find all new carpeting, perhaps new floor mats would suffice. There's a thread on floor mats that's up near the top of the XK8 page right now.
I have read the same in a jaguar magazine plan to have the dealer check that and a few other items After cleaning the car good the carpet is better than i thought a good cleaning and new mats will be great

Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know the condition of your seats, however here are numerous websites discussing reconditioning, cleaning, fixing tears, filling up cracks, and redying auto leather seats. The before and after pictures are remarkable. Just Google "leather seat reconditioning."

Leatherique is one of the supply companies. If you're not the hands on person, car dealerships and upholstery shops often offer these services. Also, dealershps often have outside contractors coming around weekly to recondition leather seating. If the seats are not torn, reconditioning seats don't look like too difficult of a job.

General suggestion to any Jag owner: Take time to locate the salvage yards that have XK's in your area. I started @ Car-Parts.com, and found dozens of XK8's within 250 miles. With the price of new Jag parts being beyond expensive--it takes salvage yards to keep'em running.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

At the risk of being a real buzz-kill. I have three teenagers...and they all started out in big (lots of protective sheet metal), ugly (friends did not want to pile in with them and encourage them to do things and drive speeds they should not) and relatively inexpensive (most teenagers get into an accident their first year) cars.

A 16 year old with all that power and no experience makes me shudder.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Started my son at 16 in a fully restored, inside and out, '71 Volvo 164. All his friends laughed during work but turned out he had the 'coolest' car in school. He was rear ended by a full size Chevy pick up which bent the Volvo bumper brackets and broke the trunk latch and both tail light lens. The Chevy truck went home on a tow truck with both fender and hood bent with the radiator shoved into the fan.

Better safe than . . . .

Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree with all of the "not at 16" comments above. I'm also against buying children cars rather than having them get a job an buy their own, but I'm sure others will disagree. Also, I'm guessing insurance isn't exactly cheap for a 16 year old in one of these; I'm 26 and I still get sticker shock when it's time to renew.

Oh and just so I'm not a complete waste of time for you, you might check out XJS carpets as well. I know the floor pans are similar so the carpets might be the same, or close enough to modify to fit. It's one more option to look into. Maybe one of the XJS guys (or someone here) can tell you more.

Last edited by K.Westra; 01-16-2011 at 03:03 PM.