XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 2 problems

Can you be more specific with the door problem? Does it lower each time you pull the door handle. Drop then drop then drop. Or does it drop when you pull the handle but goes up when you release it?

If it is the first issue, you need to programme windows. Close door while sitting in drivers seat. Start the car. Hold window switch down so window opens fully. Hold switch up to close window and do not release. When window is fully closed, count 1 elephant 2 elephant 3 elephant and then release switch. Immediately hold switch in the up position again and count the same. Then check for correct operation. If condition returns after a couple of days, you probably need a new battery. If while cranking the battery voltage drops below 10 volts, it will lose window memory. Always a good indicator of time for a new one. You programme the passenger window the same way.
IF it is the second issue I described, look at the instrument pack and see if it shows door ajar when you open it. If not, then you need a door latch.

The coolant issue....if you have full coolant level, and the low coolant keeps showing on display, you may need an expansion tank. The level sensor stays dry while in the tank...there is a float in the tank that moves. I have had many that I have had to replace the expansion tank to correct the concern.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Please read my entire answer. Coolant light is addressed at the bottom. If you replaced battery, that would explain your problem. Just programme them and it will be fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

I have had many that I have had to replace the expansion tank to correct the concern.
I did! Was very easy. Buy the part yourself and spend about 20 minutes changing it out. Hardest part was keeping that lower hose from losing all of the coolant, but I managed the best I could. I lost maybe 2 quarts total.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with h20boy, the removal and re-fitting of the expansion tank is pretty easy. however, be aware of the plastic breather pipe below the expansion tank, i inadvertently put too much pressure on it and broke it. being plastic, the pipe becomes brittle over time and can break easily. by the way, this pipe that i'm talking about is not connected to the expansion tank, it just runs underneath it.

hope your replacement battery solves your window issue, if not, and you move onto suspecting the door latch, let me know if you need any guidance on replacing it since i recently changed my door latch when my windows would not programme.

tariq

***still a member of the elite.......with an XK8***