XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 xk8 convertable top latch not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 xk8 convertable top latch not working

hey guys i sprung a leak in my hydraulic lines going to the latch about a week ago.
i ordered the repair kit from jag bits and an new latch actuator.
i installed everything and it went pretty smooth.
i have one problem
when i go to close the top the latch hook (the one that grabs the top striker) doesn't seem to stick up far enough to engage the striker.

i took it apart again and i can see a spring that i thing pushes the latch hook. it doesn't seem to push it up far enough.

is there a special position that that spring is suppose to sit it?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

A little WD40 might free up the spring action. Grit tends to stick to the light coating of grease on the latch and binds a bit.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by test point
A little WD40 might free up the spring action. Grit tends to stick to the light coating of grease on the latch and binds a bit.

i sprayed a bunch of lube on it and it doesnt come up all the way.
the spring doesnt seem to be sitting in the right place. theres no tension on the spring

Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdragunov
hey guys i sprung a leak in my hydraulic lines going to the latch about a week ago.
i ordered the repair kit from jag bits and an new latch actuator.
i installed everything and it went pretty smooth.
i have one problem
when i go to close the top the latch hook (the one that grabs the top striker) doesn't seem to stick up far enough to engage the striker.

i took it apart again and i can see a spring that i thing pushes the latch hook. it doesn't seem to push it up far enough.

is there a special position that that spring is suppose to sit it?
The latch actuator could be in need of cleaning / lubrication. I found two that had a problem. Did you remove the latch/actuator or did you just exchange the hoses? You should remove the latch and clean it and lube the actuator and give that a try. If you go to my page you will see info on the actuator.
Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM

i figured it out. the spring that pops the hook up to catch the striker got bent when i put it back together. i was able to bend it back and it works great
thanks guys

Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

so as i stated in my last post i fixed the latch mechanism.
now i have another hydraulic leak the repair kit i bought from jag bits is not sealing. i cut the connectors off again and re fitted the repair kit but it still leaks.
anyone else had problems getting these hoses to seal?
any tips?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I assume by your comments that you bought the repair kit rather than the full length hoses. I installed the kit without problems but several others have had issues. Thought Jaguar had withdrawn that part because of the failures.

When I made test splices it was obvious that the top latch end of the hose had become so brittle that splices were not going to work. On my car the fuse panel end was still pliable enough for use and did not leak.

Did you screw the splice device in left handed all the way? Was the black covering intact in the splice?

One guy tightened the splice clamp nut so tight as to break the inside part of the coupling.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by test point
I assume by your comments that you bought the repair kit rather than the full length hoses. I installed the kit without problems but several others have had issues. Thought Jaguar had withdrawn that part because of the failures.

When I made test splices it was obvious that the top latch end of the hose had become so brittle that splices were not going to work. On my car the fuse panel end was still pliable enough for use and did not leak.

Did you screw the splice device in left handed all the way? Was the black covering intact in the splice?

One guy tightened the splice clamp nut so tight as to break the inside part of the coupling.

yes i got the repair kit instead of the full length hoses. i followed the instructions and threaded the hose in left handed then unscrewed it 1/2 turn as per the instructions.
the black covering is coming off when i screw the hose in the feral.