XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS wheel silver touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry BBS wheel silver touch up paint

I got new Michelin AS tires put on the rear of my XKR-100 that has 20" BBS Montreal wheels. The tire shop scratched the rims up and the insisted the scratches were there before. Next time I'll know to look over the wheels with the shop owner/manager before they start!
I contacted BBS and they told me the wheels were specific to Jaguar and to contact them. I thought I would check here first. They are a silver color and I'm hoping someone can help me restore them to their near new appearance. Anyone else go through this before? Would a regular body shop be the way to go and would they be able to match the paint up?

Last edited by XKR 100 Coupe; 01-09-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I was wondering the same thing as I had a small chip or two on my Montreal wheels. The only thing I did find was in the 2005 XK Accessories brochure which lists "Alloy Wheel Touch-Up Paint" with part number C2A 1237 at $11.20. I do not know if this applies to the standard alloy wheels only or if it might be suitable for the BBS wheels.

Anyone else have luck with paint for touching up BBS wheels?

Doug

Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a paint guy that can do it. I am in torrance ca. I am on vacation right now but will be back at the end of next week.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
I have a paint guy that can do it. I am in torrance ca. I am on vacation right now but will be back at the end of next week.
That will probably work for SeismicGuy, but I am in Florida so your guy won't work for me. I am planning on going to a local body shop that has the best reputation and see what they say...probably Monday. I know it will be at least 6 weeks before they could do it and I am not "leaving" the car for a week while they work it in.
I tried some Maguires Scratch and Swirl remover with no luck. It did help just a little, but the tire shop really did a number on the rims.

Last edited by XKR 100 Coupe; 07-05-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I believe these wheels are powdered coated (I'm not absolutely sure), but there are numerous wheel repair facilities on the internet that can refinish them. I have never had one done but I'm considering it.
Doug

Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by RCSign
I believe these wheels are powdered coated...
Doug
I think you're right Doug. With a little closer examination, I found a "cut" in the finish and when the edge is lifted, it is almost like a thin rubber layer. My problem is I don't want to have to take the tires off the wheels again, and I need the car on a daily basis. If it were out of commision for 2 weeks or so, I would have to rent. If the problem were mechanical or absolutely necessary, I could justify the expense. For something that is cosmetic, I don't think I can justify it unless I hit the lotto or something. I'm not familiar with the powder coating process, so I'll have to look into that. Does anyone know if paint (laquer or enamel) can be applied over the powder coated finish with good results?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I have been told by our wheel guy, it's an epoxy paint, and he fixes them with the tire in place. I have seen his work and have been happy with the results. I am sure there is someone in your area that can do the same. Turn around time is 1/2 a day

Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have a local service like this anywhere near you, i'm pretty sure there must be

http://www.wickedwheels.co.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I just had a set of four (4) wheels powder coated Bengal Silver for $200 in one day.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Gordo
I know when they powder coat that the finish is baked. I have had commercial sign parts done by a local company but I would not trust them do my wheels. They claim the finish is harder and less likely to chip. The price you paid seems to be a real deal. Powder Coating seems to be one of the best refinishing systems for wheels just for the durability.
Doug

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Reply from Jaguar USA

As I mentioned in the first post, I had contacted BBS who told me to contact Jaguar. Here is the response from Jaguar.

"Thank you for contacting Jaguar Cars.
In response to your inquiry, it is not an epoxy paint or high temperature product on the wheels. We do not have that information available. However, a competent body shop should be able to repair the scratches.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Dolores Thorne
Jaguar Cars

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9, or by e-mail.

After looking at other powder coated items, I don't think this finish is powder coat. I haven't spent a lot of time looking for a professional wheel refinisher in my area, as one post suggested (Wack61 on the first page). It does appear to have a clear coat on it and it is a "thick" finish. I suspect an expoxy paint would be the best route to go, if the color can be matched. Epoxy would stand up better to brake dust and the harsh cleaners needed to remove the dust. I have been putting off going to the body shop, but it looks like that is the best route.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I was wondering if you could somehow mix up your own "formula" that will serve the purpose of touching up really small nicks or chips? I have just one or 2 barely noticeable chips that does not justify getting someone to refinish the wheels. I did come across a guy that specializes in refinishing/touching up wheels while on the car (he was doing this on a car lot across from where I worked--actually he was doing a Jaguar XK8 at the time). I called him to ask where he got his paints and he gave the name of a local paint place. I called them and they said if I brought the car by they could mix something up but I just haven't had the chance.

Still, I would think that you could come up with a serviceable solution by blending together some typical auto touch up paints (silver plus some white?).

Doug

Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the input Doug. There may be someone around here that does that kind of work, but I haven't looked very hard yet. My problem is much more than just a few chips; it involves a scratch about 8 inches long (in an arc) and approx. 1/8 inch wide on both wheels. I will probably pursue the body shop as a first choice, but may ask around at a a few used car lots.