XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 convertible top hydraulic pump fluid level check

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 XK8 convertible top hydraulic pump fluid level check

I was closing the roof and the chime sounded, latched raised and roof began to move. Before the roof passed over center it suddenly stopped and retracted back into its open and stowed position.
I got out and checked the pump and lines and looked over rest of car looking for fluid leak, no leak detected. The latch was still up, windows down, so I attempted to close the roof again. The roof raised and began closing. Just before it came down to the latch the latch closed and the roof sat on the latch. I manually opened, then manually closed, and locked the roof. The rear windows closed and the chime sounded. I would like to check the fluid level before my reattempt at cycling it thru.
Now my questions.
1) Can I check the fluid level of the pump with it still installed in the vehicle. I have a small inspection camera for my phone to use.
2) If yes how do I do it, and can it be refilled while still installed.

Thanks for any info

Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

The pump is in the trunk under the CD Changer. The reservoir is clear and you can easily see the level and fill line.

You can add fluid with it installed by using a full and hose. Its not too bad to remove though.

Please make sure you are using the green fluid (Pentofil?). If your fluid is not green, id flush the system with the recommended stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by dsd:
Don B (04-23-2019), jeffp634 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

The fluid does not have to be at the upper line, just between the lines. The fluid is Pentosin CHF-11S, available at NAPA and others.

If the fluid level is correct try doing a hard reset of the battery before operating again. It may be that microswitches were out of sequence.

Disconnect the negative cable at the battery and touch it to the positive for a few seconds. It's not necessary to disconnect both.

The following 3 users liked this post by RJ237:
Don B (04-23-2019), jeffp634 (07-11-2017), Orthodixie (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to guess that the 2 lines are minimum and maximum fill lines ? When I was looking at the pump the other day I didn't realize what I was looking at.

The fluid is a bit below the bottom line, but not empty. I bought some Pentosin tonight and will refill in the next day or so. I'll keep an eye on the level for the next month or 2.