XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 total mechanical/electrical failure !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 XK8 total mechanical/electrical failure !?!?

I just experienced a total electrical shutdown on my pristine low mileage 2001 XK8..
I had placed a trickle charger for the battery which indicated full charge when I removed the charger...I had interior lighting however not the usual brightness.
Turned the key and the starter had a short turnover and stopped, no usual clicking when battery low...
I next placed my ' intelligent charger' that informed me that battery % was 10% ???
I proceeded to charge the battery to 84% and attempted to start again....
Lights were fine but the starter made no attempt to turn over the 4.0 motor.
I checked the battery %....it was back to 10%...
Charged the battery yet again, attempted to start the Lady and experienced a total electrical shutdown, no lights no windows no remote activation....
Called my distant Jaguar dealer and was informed that the starter may be at fault...requiring a lengthy flatbed transport and repair...
This vehicle has extremely low mileage and basically is in storage for most of its life. I find it hard to fathom this remote diagnosis and thus hope that this forum with its members/enthusiasts may provide a solution if anyone else may have experienced this vexing problem?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I would replace the battery before doing anything else. Low voltage could be the issue...

Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Ulev,
Your battery is no more. Get rid of it, put a new fully charged one in and you should be ok.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

At the risk of simply repeating Mr Xenophobe (does that mean he doesn't like ethnic diversity or really bright lights?) comments i would definitely start with a known good battery before I drew any conclusions or spent in large amount of money.
I doubt a failed (shorting) starter could possibly kill a good battery in seconds therefore I'm amazed the Jag agent would suggest a transport before suggesting the same.
Good luck
Ak

Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Your battery will fail eventually even if it is kept on an intelligent charger. Replace it.

You will need to reset your windows (see your owners manual) once you connect the new battery.

There is absolutely no need to go to the dealer for any of this.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

+1 on the battery, and I would avoid that dealer. Look for an independent if you need work done, but start here and you may find you can take care of most problems yourself.
When you have time, please visit the new member area an introduce yourself. Link below.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 AM

I had the same experience last weekend. A new battery brought the car back to life. I should have been more aware as I had some warning when the ABS warning light came on a couple of times and the valet light came in without warning. All signs of a failing battery

Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

+1 Battery.

That "pristine low mileage 2001" might possibly still have its original 12 year old battery. The OEM batteries lasted quite a while. I think the month/year is stamped on the negative terminal post. Either way, change it as everyone above has said.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Thanks to ALL for your advice and comments
Will replace the battery this week.
I had a similar experience with my SUV,
Placed on a trickle charger, I found the cells
To be DRY.....is this effect unusual ?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Visit Batteries Plus. Full stop. Problem solved.

I'm about ready to take a trip there myself, just in case....bought a 2003 XKR with low miles but possibly a questionable battery. Windows don't stay set the way they should - a first clue that something might be amiss with the voltage.

And no, modern batteries should not require water, but if you leave one connected to a trickle charger for too long, the types of batteries which require water will run dry. I have seen the cells go completely dry on motorcycle batteries (not sure about cars) but lesson learned. Only keep trickle charges hooked up for as long as they are needed.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
And no, modern batteries should not require water, but if you leave one connected to a trickle charger for too long, the types of batteries which require water will run dry. I have seen the cells go completely dry on motorcycle batteries (not sure about cars) but lesson learned. Only keep trickle charges hooked up for as long as they are needed.
Battery "Maintainers" are specifically designed to only add charge when needed and are different than a "Trickle Charger" that never completely turns off the Current Flow.

I have been using Battery Maintainers for a few years with no Dried Out Batteries.

In addition, a Maintainer will extend Battery Life Substantially.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Also, consider replacing the battery with an AGM (Absorbtive Glass Mat) type, which are now avaialble at Sears and Autozone in the correct size for the XK8 for just slightly more than a standard battery.

These batteries are designed to be tolerant of extended periods with a less than full charge and are more suited for vehicles that are not driven regularly.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Best battery I've ever had, hands down:

- Shorai Power

But they don't make them for cars, at least not yet. If they ever do they will be expensive. My motorcycle battery cost about $200. Plus it sheds a few pounds from the bike when installed. When it arrived I thought the company sent me an empty box it was so light. But I never have to hook it up to a charger just to keep it ready and it obviously requires no fluid. A most amazing product.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car was doing the same weird things, windows would not hold memory door locks would cycle all crazy like, I thought it was Possessed.

picked up this batt. from Sears, all is back to normal.

DieHard Gold Size 49 Car Batteries: Enjoy Value and Durability - Sears

Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dragman
My car was doing the same weird things, windows would not hold memory door locks would cycle all crazy like, I thought it was Possessed.

picked up this batt. from Sears, all is back to normal.

That is the battery that I also installed several months ago. It is made by Johnson Controls (a local Wisconsin company that makes many private label Batteries, Die-Hard, Interstate, etc, all highly regarded).

It was on sale at 10% off ($161.99) exchange when I bought mine.

An Excellent Unit!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The DieHard batt. went on sale $134.99
damn good price!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dragman
The DieHard batt. went on sale $134.99
damn good price!!!

Super Deal!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Ulev,
Your battery is no more. Get rid of it, put a new fully charged one in and you should be ok.
EXACTLY what occurred , with a three year old battery....
I am utilizing a Shumacher trickle charger along with a knob disconnect on negative pole.

Should I disconnect the neg pole while leaving the trickle charger attached to the battery for longer term storage ?

Thx for the help !

Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ulev
EXACTLY what occurred , with a three year old battery....
I am utilizing a Shumacher trickle charger along with a knob disconnect on negative pole.

Should I disconnect the neg pole while leaving the trickle charger attached to the battery for longer term storage ?

Thx for the help !
It is not necessary (or desirable, in my opinion) to disconnect the Battery.

Be sure to use a Battery Maintainer such as the CTEK or similar unit. A trickle Charger unit could overcharge or damage the Battery.

A Battery Maintainer is computer controlled to only charge the battery as required.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been told I need a new battery. Going to Sears sounds good, but I thought my 1999 Jag XK8 needed a battery different from those I may have bought for my Buick/Camaro? If so, what do I need to know to purchase the type my car needs? Thanks! Enjoying your threads...

Quick Reply: 2001 XK8 total mechanical/electrical failure !?!?