Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 xkr calipers upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2002 xkr calipers upgrade

Hi Guys

i have a 2002 XKR , i would like to have bigger calipers , is there any jaguar model that has bigger calipers that will fit my car?

THANK YOU GUYS

Old 12-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you have Brembo's now? They were the largest available in 2002 and optional.
Here's a thread on an upgrade but not the Brembo.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-112534/

Last edited by RCSign; 12-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,797 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Welcome to the forum XKR8,

I presume your XKR will be fitted with 'R' performance brakes?

As Doug says, the only other option from Jaguar is Brembo and then you'd also be looking at bigger discs (rotors) and possibly having to change the wheels for clearance.

Graham

Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 PM

no brembo brakes , pretty small 2 pistons calipers.
would love to get bigger better calipers and drilled rotors , just dont know which one will fit
thanks guys

Old 12-19-2014, 08:20 PM

something like these will be nice

Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I remember a thread about converting to Brembos. Here's one I found
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ers-xk8-87322/
The video is from Wheeler Dealer were they converted a XK-8 to Brembos. Discovery Channel has blocked this video. I believe XKR Racer has done this conversion many times.

Last edited by RCSign; 12-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR8
no brembo brakes , pretty small 2 pistons calipers.
would love to get bigger better calipers and drilled rotors , just dont know which one will fit
thanks guys
Are you sure you have a two piston caliper? I've just removed mine for rebuild and painting, my xkr has 1 very large piston.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 xkr calipers upgrade-imag0515.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 AM

yes im sure , i checked it with my mechanic yesterday , i have a strong feeling its not the original that came with the car.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 AM

My current calipers

Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure about your mechanic but those look like stock 02 xkr brakes.
Notice you can see the outboard brake pad, so there are no pistons on that side and are pulled on the slides when brakes are applied, the piston is on the inside, turn your wheel and look at the back and compare to my pics. Jaguar did a pretty good job on the XKR brakes and they have very good stopping power, can you do better sure, with enough $ anything can and has been done with one forum member or another. There are some threads that discuss performance tests and will point you to articles on this (I remember reading them some time ago).

There are some things you can do to stock to help, new brake lines, if you have original they are prob soft, put in some SSteel for about 150, replace all the fluid, after all it's potentially 12 years old, heat/pressure of braking will seriously deteriorate the fluid and it's properties. If the issue is cosmetic then you have the $ option or doing a good paint job.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Not sure about your mechanic but those look like stock 02 xkr brakes.
Notice you can see the outboard brake pad, so there are no pistons on that side and are pulled on the slides when brakes are applied, the piston is on the inside, turn your wheel and look at the back and compare to my pics. Jaguar did a pretty good job on the XKR brakes and they have very good stopping power, can you do better sure, with enough $ anything can and has been done with one forum member or another. There are some threads that discuss performance tests and will point you to articles on this (I remember reading them some time ago).

There are some things you can do to stock to help, new brake lines, if you have original they are prob soft, put in some SSteel for about 150, replace all the fluid, after all it's potentially 12 years old, heat/pressure of braking will seriously deteriorate the fluid and it's properties. If the issue is cosmetic then you have the $ option or doing a good paint job.
thank you for your replay, which steel lines should i use?
also i would LOVE to get a bigger nicer calipers - im attaching this photo , will this R caliper fit my car?

Thanks again

Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR8
thank you for your replay, which steel lines should i use?
also i would LOVE to get a bigger nicer calipers - im attaching this photo , will this R caliper fit my car?

Thanks again
Yes they will with a bit of work & a lot of money. That is my car with the early brake disc it has since been uprated to 410mm Wilwood

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Rotor No: 160-8955-BK

The calipers are from an XKR Portfolio with custom caliper mounts & brake hoses made up for me. The rear are Alcon calipers with custom caliper mounts & standard Brembo discs. The hats/bells for the front discs were made at a local machine shop.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

There are a host of companies that make the lines but you need to be year/model specific when ordering. Here's a link to another thread with some information. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-112534/

Old 12-25-2014, 08:01 AM

thank you guys
by the way is there any other jaguar model with bigger calipers that will fir my car?

Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The only ones that will fit as a direct bolt on are the 355mm Brembos. These were standard on the 2003+ cars and also came on the XJR and several special edition cars.

If you are up for fabricating your own parts and potentially spending a bundle of money, then there are many possibilities.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

My friend, before you spend a lot of money,you can GREATLY IMPROVE YOUR BRAKING BY DOING THIS BELOW.

I suggest you simply flush your brake fluid and fill with SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID(very high boiling point) instal new rotors(TO RESTORE OPTIMAL THICKNESS AND HEAT ABSORPTION=GRIP), new front PERFORMANCE caliper lines(NO EXPANSION), and upgrade the pads to a racing style type pad MATERIAL(EXTREME GRIP).

This little upgrade alone, I can tell you will greatly improve your brakes.

Here I can vouch for this as i race,don't go spending all that money, this setup is good for 500HP

Hawk Brake Pads and Rotor Part Search | Hawk Performance RACING PADS FRONT/REAR
Goodridge Car Brake Lines. LINES
Valvoline.com > Products > Valvoline > DOT 3 4 Brake Fluid Valvoline > Valvoline® DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid
FLUID
2 Fronts Black Hart Drilled Slotted Disc Brake Rotors F2025 | eBay
BLACK ZINC PERFORMANCE FRONT ROTORS
Rear Power Performance Drilled Slotted Plated Brake Disc Rotors P20021 121 | eBay
REAR PERFORMANCE ROTORS

There are even sets on ebay that come with the rotors and pads as a set, its up to you, but I can tell you, its a night and day bloody difference, than what you have now,you might even have someone rear end you, because you will be stopping very fast.Also, most power boosters can be removed and you turn the rod inwards to make the brakes more responsive and stop faster, but hey thank me later.

Last edited by aode06; 12-25-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 PM

thank you very much aode06

Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Guys

can you please check these links and tell me if it will fit my 2002 XKR?
the sellers say it will fit only 2003 +

Jaguar Stype "R" Set of Calipers 2003 Brembo | eBay

Factory Jaguar XJR s Type R Brembo Calipers Amp Rotors Complete Set of 4 | eBay

2004 2007 Jaguar XJR X350 Brembo R Brake Calipers Complete Set of 4 w Pads | eBay

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

None of those will fit.

Here's more information on Brembo conversions:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-133557/

Old 01-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Hello XKR8

It seems I have an unusual '03 XKR. While I do have Brembos all around, apparently my car did not come with the Brembos. Oddly though, it did come with the Brembo sized discs. I sort of verified this when I did a rear hub assembly replacement and found that in fact, I had the stock hubs and not the Brembo specified hubs. Yet sure enough - a VIN check shows it was delivered with the big brake discs. Odd?

The reason I mention this is because, obviously you "can" put the Brembos on your car. If your discs are the proper size (355/330) the only complications I can think of would be cutting the dust shields for clearance and drilling/tapping the mounting holes on the front hubs.

If you don't have the proper size discs, then there is the question of whether your existing wheels will fit afterward. The fix for THAT problem could really dent the ol' wallet (i.e., 4 new wheels + tires + mounting +$, +$, etc.).

I don't know how well the stock brake system works, but I "can" tell you that the Brembos with ceramic pads slow my beastie at a terrifyingly quick pace (judging from the screams of the passenger when doing a brake demonstration, and the two situations where I was urgently in the process of committing the car to grass and bush avoiding things unexpected, when, .... all of a sudden, ......she just, ........ stopped. Truly amazing - both times).

It can be done. Be careful you don't bite off more than you want to chew though.

Quick Reply: 2002 xkr calipers upgrade