XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XKR dilema & Stereo stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 2002 XKR dilema & Stereo stuff

I like the way the Jag looks more than the BMW. I've never driven a BMW but they are a dime a dozen here in the states. You don't see that many Jaguars on the road, at least not here in Oregon.

I think that Jaguar has more class inside and out.

As far as your GPS there's another member here that installed an after market unit and integrated it with his Jaguar's GPS screen. The whole setup looked pretty sharp.

Why do you want a BMW? What does it have that the Jaguar doesn't? Are you looking for more horsepower?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

That's a tough one. I have always liked the looks of the BMW 840/850 when they came out and the interior, if I recall correctly, is like a cockpit. They were far above what I could afford back in the mid-90s when they were around (and still more than I could afford) but they were pretty rare, even out here in the Los Angeles area. I occasionally see a few of these and they still look cool but a bit dated. I had dismal reliability and maintenance experiences with a 3-series that I owned for 9 years so I would be very wary about another BMW (other friends and acquaintances also had bad experiences).

The XK8/XKR to me still look like art on wheels and the beauty is sort of timeless.

I guess it would come down to a few things between the BMW and the XKR. Price for one thing. The other thing is you know the condition and maintenance history of your dad's XKR while the BMW might be a question mark. Do you have some emotional reservations about getting dad's car?

Good luck,

Doug

Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Speakers aren't that great Lee, Alpine branded, but paper nonetheless. You get a set of components up front (the original Alpine had a tweeter, mid, and a woofer) and the rear are just two small 6.5" subwoofers. Its tough to get a loud system in this car, unfortunately.

On the av-outs on your kenwood, whatever you can hook up to the screen (RGB) connection (using the NavTV box, this does RCA-RGB for you), will be displayed...anyway, my deck doesn't show anything on the av-outs until a DVD is playing or displays the MP3 list when on the disc or USB mode. It doesn't ouput anything to the screen like station id, song information, etc under normal circumstances. I doubt the Kenwood deck you have will do that either. I think that is what you were asking about, right?

If you want a larger head unit, like the 7-inch screens, the only way to do it is to remove the auxillary buttons (DSC, heated seats, etc) and relocate them to the glove box, and have a custom fascia constructed. I've seen it done one time, but didn't like the buttons in the glovebox idea myself.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Hi Lee, yeah, the NavTV box is really pretty mysterious, i also tried some research during the install, and even the manufacturer's website doesn't mention hardly anything about it. It is a small blue box, about an inch thick, and about the size of 4x6 photo. It takes two RCA video inputs, and converts them to RGB. Seems pretty straightforward, but perhaps they want to keep it on the down low.

I do use my steering wheel controls, though with this car, we only have four (4) programmable options, so I chose SOURCE, VOL up/down, and NEXT TRACK.

If the kenwood deck you're speaking about can output dual screens (or replicate the main screen and use the remote?), and can select which source is running the 2nd, that would work great. (that's also how my JVC describes it in the manual, so it may not be any different)

I still suggest going with the jag, it just has the allure of something unique, though the BMW is also, I think personally the 840 is somewhat dated in styling and shows it. You can't really say that with the XKR. Good luck!