XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2003 XK8 Transmission Lurch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 XK8 Transmission Lurch Issue

We recently purchased a 2003 XK8 with 76,000 miles. The first time I drove the car, after purchase, I noticed when it’s cold moving forward from a standstill it lurches or grabs hard in first gear, shifts fine in all other gears. Have driven the car four times now. This happens each time.

Then I noticed when you’re driving slowing down for a stop the car when it downshifits from 2nd to 1st and feels like you’re getting a slight nudge from from behind.

What does this sound like to you. Could it be an internal adjustment, a valve body, or a solenoid?

I’ve rebuilt many manual transmissions and installed rebuilt automatics on my classic cars, over the years, but the computers of modern cars are beyond my expertise. I would appreciate your advice!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

The lurch is a common issue with these ZF 6HP26 transmissions. Search this forum using "the lurch" as your key words and you will have many threads to read to educate yourself on the subject....

Do you have the service records for this car? Has the ATF ever been drained and refilled? If so, what fluid was utilized and was the proper procedure followed to the letter? It is very important that it was. Your vehicle may be low on ATF or it may still have its factory fill of ATF. If I did not have the service records, the first thing I would do would be an ATF drain-and-fill using Mercon SP ATF. And be sure to check to see if your Mechatronic sleeve is leaking ATF. The factory versions often do. The new-and-improved version tends to seal better. In order to change the sleeve, you must drop the pan first. If the pan is original, you may want to consider a new one as well because the pan is also the filter....

I would also get the OBDII codes read with a scanner that has the capability of reading transmission codes....

Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
The lurch is a common issue with these ZF 6HP26 transmissions. Search this forum using "the lurch" as your key words and you will have many threads to read to educate yourself on the subject....

Do you have the service records for this car? Has the ATF ever been drained and refilled? If so, what fluid was utilized and was the proper procedure followed to the letter? It is very important that it was. Your vehicle may be low on ATF or it may still have its factory fill of ATF. If I did not have the service records, the first thing I would do would be an ATF drain-and-fill using Mercon SP ATF. And be sure to check to see if your Mechatronic sleeve is leaking ATF. The factory versions often do. The new-and-improved version tends to seal better. In order to change the sleeve, you must drop the pan first. If the pan is original, you may want to consider a new one as well because the pan is also the filter....

I would also get the OBDII codes read with a scanner that has the capability of reading transmission codes....
I have the service records, but they only go to 56,000 miles. I don't recall seeing that the ATF has been changed. But will review them again. And will search other threads using "the lurch".

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

2003 XK8 Coupe, 4.2 V8 / Cashmere