XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-98 xk8 tcm wiring harness interchangeable

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97-98 xk8 tcm wiring harness interchangeable

Hello all, I am getting a p1643 code & my jag tech told me that my wiring harness is faulty. My question is simply can I use a 98 xk8's harness or do I have to use one specifically for my year(97)?

I ask because my mechanic is not economically savvy & tries to convince me to pay for parts & services to increase profit.I don't think I should pay for parts at a 50-75% markup without doing adequate research in these times of economic uncertainty.

So please if anybody can help me with a little insight,or simply a yes those harnesses are interchangeable that would be a huge help.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Do you have any symptoms besides the code? This is a CAN bus error and could just be a glitch unless you are having other problems.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default cleaning connectors

Good day:

Dont know if you tried cleaning connectors. It is always the 1st thing I do in the age of the computer car. I am not sure where your wiring harness goes but if it is from the engine control module to the transmission I would clean both sides with contact cleaner. You can search in the forum for where your connectors are as well as how to remove them. I would disconnect the battery before hand. I had a stability/reduced performance fault and I cleaned the connectors on the ecm and tightened up a loose ground and problem went away. My mantra is clean connectors 1st and take it from there

Howard

Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly fellas...I'm thinking its a glitch because its kinda frequent but inconsistent(if that makes any sense) the symptoms are -rough kinda misfire-like take off from stop,but smooth once in second & gaining. poor performance alert on dash at random times but performance never really suffers except when pulling off like I said.
Where are connectors?:

Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default stuff about stuff

Hello again:

I am not sure where those are. I have a left hand drive and my ecm is under the plastic flap on the right hand side up by the window under the hood. I found that going to the quick links at the top of the forum and poking around in there helpful. I bought mine last year and the three things I am glad I did are

1) Buy a code reader ( its paid for itself in one bad code ). I got a refurbished auto enginuity on ebay $120 and you need a laptop and had an old one kicking around
2) Get a working copy of JTIS which is the jag shop manual on cd. I think you can download it although I bought mine on ebay.
3) Really get familiar with this forum and the quicklinks as there is alot downloadable there. Even the wiring diagrams and they are not that hard to follow.

I think if you really research the quicklinks you will find an awful lot of info there. And perhaps the info you are looking for

I am learning as I go but with the above devices and software it makes it almost enjoyable (haha)

Good luck and perhaps someone will let you know where those harnesses are.

Howard

PS: I am up to my &&$/&`s getting things ready for winter. If I get a moment in the next few days will have a look for you