XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 XK8 Restricted Performance and more..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 XK8 Restricted Performance and more..

Hi, this is a big story in short.
Around 6 years ago after rebuilding the engine Restricted Performance started to appear and lasted for certain amount of time/miles (limited power to 2000 rpm), after it was gone everything was ok. Also when I was accelerating and using Sport mode button I felt the the smell like something was burning but only for as long as I drove on the sport mode. But one day I drove around 50 mp/h and pushed Sport mode button, car started to go faster and when I reached 60 mp/h something happened, Check light came out and Restricted Performance, Stability Control Fail, Traction Control Fail and finally Engine Stalled.
Visited bunch of the best mechanics in the town who were able to fix other regular cars but not the jag. Couple of them were able to use software to recognize the problems.
Took to dealership, they checked the wiring(mouse was in glove department in winter time when car was in the garage) the TB was changed - nothing happened, then discovered that in the engine control module 2 Transistors have burned. I've got replaced them, and everything was ok for about 50 miles, and then same story Restricted Performance and after some time Traction Control Fail, Stability Control Fail and Engine Stalled. Transistors in Engine control Module were replaced, but nothing happened. I disconnected the battery, - connected, car starts and holds about 1500 RPM, they slowly go down, Restricted and all fails appear and finally Engine Stalled.
I think that Sport Mode burning something or something creates to much electrical power what burns transistors or something else.
To go to Dealership again?! Its a Volvo, Renault and Jaguar dealership with no experience in Jags, and pay 100 $ p/h for nothing, for not solving the problem.
I've done so much for my jag, put a lot of work, money, efforts, nerves and patience..
Sad and disappointed, do not know what to do and no one mechanic can say anything about it, they are experienced only in German cars.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Burned transistors in the ECM doesn't sound good. There must be a reason why they were gone. A short circuit somewhere has pulled too much current through them. I doubt that the transistors themselves are the reason for your troubles. Have you checked all fuses? Might give us some hints where the fault might be...

Also do you have fault codes read from the ECM? If you have a smartphone, you can get a cheap ODB2 bluetooth adapter such as the ELM327 and read the codes yourself with an app called Torque.

Cheers,

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Unfortunately, the mouse is your suspect. I suggest tracking his movements and look for shorted wires he may have chewed. Your symptoms support this theory. The glovebox area includes the body processor, which is a big communicator to the ECM. You may have to start a pin test on the entire ECU.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Just ordered Bluetooth adapter ELM 327, gonna get it next week, scan, post codes. While I am waiting gonna go and remove glove box to get body processor out.
THX for now colleagues.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DCCapitals
Just ordered Bluetooth adapter ELM 327, gonna get it next week, scan, post codes. While I am waiting gonna go and remove glove box to get body processor out.
THX for now colleagues.
P.S just checked all the wires under glove box, took Body Processor Module out, cracked it, no smell or burn signs inside.. Gonna go tomorrow and get another Body processor to check if mine is good.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DCCapitals
P.S just checked all the wires under glove box, took Body Processor Module out, cracked it, no smell or burn signs inside.. Gonna go tomorrow and get another Body processor to check if mine is good.
HI,
Have bought bluetooth OBD 2 Scanner, but cant do anything again, no connection with this portable scanner, no any codes. Mad, angry and ready to get this blody car to scrap yard to press it.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Have you got Torque running on your Android?
If so you need to pair the phone with the bluetooth device then get into the Torque menu and set adapter as 'cheapo generic' or similar.
It will work, Torque always does.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Have you got Torque running on your Android?
If so you need to pair the phone with the bluetooth device then get into the Torque menu and set adapter as 'cheapo generic' or similar.
It will work, Torque always does.
Yes, I do have Torque Lite. This is what i do : plug in OBD2 scanner-Power indicator is on (red) OBD indicator flashes in green. Bluetooth and GPS are turned on. Bluetooth finds CSR-bc2 connection and it says paired. After that i go to Torque app and inside of the app it says "OBD device not found".
Any ideas where is the problem?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yes; get into Torque then
Press menu key>settings>OBD2 adaptor settings>choose bluetooth device
then select the OBD dongle and you're away.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM

It might ask for a pin code. I think it's just 1234.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM

Yes; get into Torque then
Press menu key>settings>OBD2 adaptor settings>choose bluetooth device
then select the OBD dongle and you're away.
Is there any difference between Torque Lite (the one I have, free version) and Torque Pro version? Cos I cant find anything what you posted.

What Torque says : Scanning-Connecting to OBD interface-Connected to OBD interface, querying-Lost connection-OBD device not found, retrying..
I guess problem is in OBD reader.
And my pin code is 6789 compared to others usual 1234 or 0000.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM

I can't comment on the lite version as I've always used the pro with my ELM 327 bluetooth (it's just under £3 anyway). However in the lite description it does say:

"This is the free/basic version - it lets you get a feel for the application and lets you find out if it works with your vehicle / obd2 adapter combination; but may contain some small bugs including not working on some nissan/chrysler/subaru ECUs. The paid version has support for more vehicles and ECU types, looks a lot nicer, and works with more cars / trucks".

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Where did you get the dongle from - if Ebay from which seller?
This one works
Bluetooth Android ELM327 1.5 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scanner Tool CAR CODE READER | eBay
Even in lite there must be an option to select the bluetooth device - it's probably pairing with your in-car phone bluetooth.
Mine did that until I found the select option.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 06-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JagTheRipper
I can't comment on the lite version as I've always used the pro with my ELM 327 bluetooth (it's just under £3 anyway). However in the lite description it does say:

"This is the free/basic version - it lets you get a feel for the application and lets you find out if it works with your vehicle / obd2 adapter combination; but may contain some small bugs including not working on some nissan/chrysler/subaru ECUs. The paid version has support for more vehicles and ECU types, looks a lot nicer, and works with more cars / trucks".
Got the Torque Pro and trying. Entered car info, chose bluetooth adapter CSR-bc2 and have done what steveinfrance said.

Nothing.. Feel like stupid

Last edited by DCCapitals; 06-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM

it's probably pairing with your in-car phone bluetooth.
Mine did that until I found the select option.
This is what I'm thinking too. "CSR-bc2" doesn't ring a bell. Do you see any other devices in the list? I can't check what mine's called until tomorrow when I get my car back...

Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Many people have reported problems with the Elm 327 Bluetooth adapters, mainly the Chinese versions.
It does sound like you've bought a dodgy adapter that won't work.

If the garages can read the codes, that eliminates problems with the OBD port itself, and absolves the mouse of chewing the wiring to it.

If I were you i'd go for a better OBD scanner, and try to get one that states " version 1.5".
I'll try to insert the link to the one that I bought, which is a bit more expensive at about £25, but there's a lot to be said for a good quality Bluetooth connection and device.

Low quality ones are just a headache.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HHOBD-Bluetooth-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Scanner-Diagnose-tool-Android-Torque-MIL/130803060034?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=003&category= 30921&cmd=ViewItem

Having said that most code readers, including torque, will only give you engine management codes. If the problem is elsewhere you'll need to go back to a garage that can read CAN BUS codes, write down every code and post them here so someone may be able to help.

But getting your Torque app working is a start

Last edited by Roadhogg; 06-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member

My car phone is called HTC One5, the OBD adapter is OBD2ECU so I suspect you're not seeing it.
Have you scanned for devices in the phone (not Torque) settings menu ?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Mine is called "ODBII". Did you have ignition on when you tried?

Last edited by JagTheRipper; 06-08-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JagTheRipper
Mine is called "ODBII". Did you have ignition on when you tried?
Yes, I did scan it, but the only one thing my Samsung GT-I900 sees is CSR-bc2, nothing else. When I had Torgue lite app downloded at the beginning there was CHX connection, but after I bought Torque Pro version, CSR-BC2 appeared. Torgue also sees this thing CSR-bc2 . Also Torgue says that I need to put my car specs into vehicle profile, but I've already done that. Something dodgy is happening. Also in adapter Status info in Torque it says that there are 0 errors and adapter is not fault.
The ignition was on when I tried.
And do not think my oldie has any phone bluetooth.
Yes I scanned devices in phone bluetooth- the only one is CSR-bc2.
I will try to find from who did I buy mine Scanner on ebay.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you may have to start the car, if you can, before the connection is made.
Have you tried it with the engine running?

Quick Reply: '99 XK8 Restricted Performance and more..