XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS?? Just fixed it.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile ABS?? Just fixed it.

I just got back to working on the ABS. Wife had knee surgery. The light was almays on and the track not available message was always there. As I said in an earlier thread the check of the wheel sensors by disconnecting the connector on the module and doing an ohm meeter check will not work on my car. Each wheel shows an open. With my 2000 XK8 the wheels must be turning before the wheel sensors sends a signal. I checked the sensors by connecting a very high quality scanner to the car system and then drove the car. All four sensors were working. The module was the next bet. An excellent Indy helped me remove the module. I then did the method of cutting a hole above the connector and found one of the pins with a black ring around the base. Resoldered both and plugged the hole with the part cut out and sealant. Put everything back together and NO ABS warning light. GONE.

I found cutting the hole with a hole say and doing a good solder job to be very easy.

Have fun guys.

The following 2 users liked this post by EZDriver:
RJ237 (10-06-2018), StuG (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Next time start with reading ABS codes. You didn't mention any codes.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

That's easy for those of us with a code reader able to read Jag codes, but not everyone wants to spend the money. Over the years I have found that the vast majority of abs problems that do not respond to sensor cleaning are due to the abs pump cold solder joint failure.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting that you got an open circuit when testing the wiring and sensors! I just did that today as I'm dealing with the ABS light on my Jag now. I also have cleaned all 4 sensors with no improvement. In my case, the ABS module was replaced by the previous owner less than one year ago (and only about 2,000 miles). Hard to believe that is bad again, but nothing else appears bad. Will have the codes pulled next week and see what they indicate.

Glad you got your fixed!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by car5car
Next time start with reading ABS codes. You didn't mention any codes.
I did read the codes. It was I believe 1095. There was a big delay between my earlier thread (search) and this one due to wife surgery.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Texasbill
Interesting that you got an open circuit when testing the wiring and sensors! I just did that today as I'm dealing with the ABS light on my Jag now. I also have cleaned all 4 sensors with no improvement. In my case, the ABS module was replaced by the previous owner less than one year ago (and only about 2,000 miles). Hard to believe that is bad again, but nothing else appears bad. Will have the codes pulled next week and see what they indicate.

Glad you got your fixed!
I am told by my indy some are digital and others are analog. But mine you have to spin the wheel to get a circuit check. And driving it while scanning it with the SnapOn pro scanner showing all four sensors in four separate windows showed they were working correctly.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
That's easy for those of us with a code reader able to read Jag codes, but not everyone wants to spend the money. Over the years I have found that the vast majority of abs problems that do not respond to sensor cleaning are due to the abs pump cold solder joint failure.
I agree RJ. My Indy is changing those right and left. He is very knowing guy. Great friend as well. Never charged me for doing a scan. And I have my own little scanner. His shop is in Hawkins, Texas. I'm lucky he is nearby.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:36 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad you got your fixed!
Were you ever able to resolve your ABS module issue? Had the rebuilt module failed? I'm experiencing an unexplained failure with the same symptoms as before it was fixed. Same P1637 code, but that's not ABS module specific according to the tech. He says that actually a non-specific code that just means the CAN has lost communication with the ECM. I hope that doesn't mean it's the harness. The technician wants me to send him my ECM because he says it can''t possibly be his module repair. Maybe.

Ken

Last edited by oldjaglover; 04-29-2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 495 Posts

Found the photos on the other post,

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 04-29-2022 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Were you ever able to resolve your ABS module issue? Had the rebuilt module failed? I'm experiencing an unexplained failure with the same symptoms as before it was fixed. Same P1637 code, but that's not ABS module specific according to the tech. He says that actually a non-specific code that just means the CAN has lost communication with the ECM. I hope that doesn't mean it's the harness. The technician wants me to send him my ECM because he says it can''t possibly be his module repair. Maybe.

Ken
The previous owner put in a new ABS module at a Jaguar dealership for over $3,000, so I took it to my local dealership. They said it was the ABS sensor and wanted about $800 to replace it. I ordered a code scanner and confirmed it was the Sensor and ordered one for $155. Took all of 30 minutes to change it and all is good!

Old 04-29-2022, 12:26 PM

The previous owner put in a new ABS module at a Jaguar dealership for over $3,000, so I took it to my local dealership. They said it was the ABS sensor and wanted about $800 to replace it. I ordered a code scanner and confirmed it was the Sensor and ordered one for $155. Took all of 30 minutes to change it and all is good!
"....the ABS sensor...". Do you mean one of the wheel speed sensors? I never got a code for any of those, but maybe they are "C" codes? How did you know which one to replace?

Looking on eBay alone I see many dozens for the Jag application. It looks like the same sensor can be used for any of the wheels. Correct? The price ranges from less than $20 to over $165 with several brands and all have a 12 month warranty. Does that sound right? They all look exactly the same, and are all probably made in China. Hmmmm...

Interesting. Many of the sensor sellers on eBay seem to be the same seller using several different names. Their feed back is atrocious and have very common complaints.....LOTS of them. So, I think I'll use RockAuto because for the same exact sensor the warranty is 36 months in stead of 12 on eBay. For $21.79 plus $8 shipping maybe I should order more than one just in case.

Now I guess I gotta find out all about testing and replacing these things.

Ken

Last edited by oldjaglover; 04-29-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
"....the ABS sensor...". Do you mean one of the wheel speed sensors? I never got a code for any of those, but maybe they are "C" codes? How did you know which one to replace?

Looking on eBay alone I see many dozens for the Jag application. It looks like the same sensor can be used for any of the wheels. Correct? The price ranges from less than $20 to over $165 with several brands and all have a 12 month warranty. Does that sound right? They all look exactly the same, and are all probably made in China. Hmmmm...

i knew mine was bad because it threw a code telling me which wheel had the bad sensor. If you remove the wheel, you will see a cable coming from the engine bay through the sheet metal to the wheel. That is your sensor assembly.

The following users liked this post:
oldjaglover (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 12:29 PM

i knew mine was bad because it threw a code telling me which wheel had the bad sensor. If you remove the wheel, you will see a cable coming from the engine bay through the sheet metal to the wheel. That is your sensor assembly.
Thanks. I'm going to re-connect my ECU and use my new Autel M619 scanner that I had left in the box after my module came back from ModuleRepairPros and "fixed" my cluster, lights, and ABS issues. Hopefully, it will be an easy 20-30 minute test.

Ken